Best Solo Class..Necro?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Fuel, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Necromonious Augur

* If the named mob has a nasty DoT or a nuke that hits everyone, the necro has two different invulns to use right before

* If the named mob spawns adds, the necro might be able to mez one if it is low enough level (their non-UD mez is capped at level 103 mobs). Then again, mage has Companion of Necessity, so this might be a wash. Companion of Necessity is amazingly powerful when you get used to using it's aoe memblur mechanic, but has a long recast

* If the named mob has a "pull mechanic" (these grab anyone else on the hate list besides the tank and pull it to melee range, think of the WoW Deathknight's deathgrip.... it's a caster killer), the necro has FD to time right before. Mage has a fade too, but only 1 and then you're looking at about a 5 minute recast timer, hasted. If the named mob pulls you into melee range and stuns you before you can take a step back....you are dead

* Necro's persistent paralysis having like a 30ish recast with max AA means you might be able to punt-root adds multiple times during a named fight

* Lastly there's the ability to slow the mob with the UD nuke conversion

[I was thinking of things off my memory that I've encountered name mobs do that can be challenging]

The disadvantages to necro killing named mobs is spell gem reliance. Using their slow takes an extra spellgem, using cascading boneshield to sheild the pet takes an extra spell gem, using pet heals takes a extra spell gem. And, without any of those, you would want as many spell gems for DoTs as you could get, since you will be re-freshing all your dots at least once per named fight
  2. Necromonious Augur

Mage swarms tank better than necros and can be spammed as well
  3. Fenudir Augur

Mages can swarm, true. But they don't come close to the sheer number of swarm pets necros can throw out since necro swarm pet spells don't share a timer.

With named, necro pets may not tank as well but it doesn't matter since the necro can literally throw a swarm pet wall in front of a named.
  4. Necromonious Augur

Wouldn't be worth wasting the extra spell gem on unless you knew your pet would not be able to tank that mob. You could just use that spell gem on something like a pet rune or pet heal as well

edit: swarms do not taunt as well as pets so you will be FD'ing a lot more if you are trying to swarm tank
  5. Fenudir Augur

I'm not going to pretend that I know the details but I have seen necros solo (and I don't mean molo. No merc) current contend end zone named using the swarm technique.
  6. Necromonious Augur

Without them being able to taunt well I do not see how the necro is going to get his muram+spire boosted DoTs loaded and re-refreshed. Maybe by FD'ing like mad but that is a lot of wasted potential cast time. My DoTs already rip aggro from my pet without it using rageswords multiple times during a named fight

Those necros could have just as easily soloed the named with a pet tanking with a merc, so don't really see the point other than bragging rights

edit: honestly, I bet they are using nothing but swarms to deal damage, and that would take forrrreevvvveeerrrrr ;)
  7. runecrow Elder

Pfft that's not soloing, that's poloing. You can molo and you can polo but the wizard is the king of solo. Search your feelings you know it to be true.
  8. Dread1313 New Member

@Runecow...
    What do wizards do when they get summoned, what do they do when they do an AoE and get summoned repeatedly by 2 or more different mobs? How do wizzies heal themselves, or mez (and I aint talkin about root!). All ive known wizzies to do is nuke well, and thats it. Care to post a YT vid of you doing some memorable things as a high end wizzie? Otherwise youre just trolling.
  9. Necromonious Augur

He's probably just enjoying his wizard, not trying to troll. Wizards are literal Gods when it comes to sustained and burst dps in groups and raids, but I wouldn't call them the kings of solo

If I had a wizard, I bet I'd enjoy it too ;)
  10. Fenudir Augur

Wizard can't solo a named. They summon. A necro can.
  11. wthHappened Journeyman

i would say necro or mage or box cause groups dont exist anymore seriously
  12. Brohg Augur

Good wizards are. There's a lot more variability than there ought to be
  13. strongbus Augur

If I was to rank the 3 best solo/molo classes as someone who has played all 3 I would go necro>bst>mag

necros as stated before can just bout do it all. we have many ways we can fight mobs with or without both a merc and a pet. we have slows, can heal pet and us, can cc mobs with little trouble.

bst have the best heals of all three pet classes and the most buffs to use. They can slow and can if they chose use a healer merc and get up close and personal with mobs or back off go to a wizard merc and pet tank with the bst acting as the healer. A well geared/aa/played bst can make a better healer for their pets then a merc.

mages. while having the most powerful pets on a pet vs pet run then bst or necros. They just don't have the tools/tricks that both the necro and bst have to make the job easier.
  14. Zunar Augur

Solo: nec, mag, bst
    Molo: hmm depends on gear and content and player skill.
    Just my 2cp
  15. runecrow Elder

Well, when I get summoned I either finish them off standing in front of them, or I gate away to safety. Gating is one of the reasons I'd argue wizards are better equipped to solo than most other classes. I heal myself with magic like rune of healing and potions and such. I also regenerate health like others.

But in all honesty I don't think the question has much meaning until I understand what it's asking. What does it mean? Are we talking about which class can survive the best without assistance? Which can level up the fastest? Are we talking about fighting monsters which con red? White? Green? Blue? Which can solo open terrain best? Dungeon terrain? Both? There's so many unaddressed variables I don't know if the question even makes sense. I'd begin by arguing that the the ability to solo is going to be mostly player-derived, and not class-derived. But really what does it mean "solo the best"?

Because bear in mind again I'm talking no using mercs or pets "soloing". The ability to dish out so much damage so fast, and easily escape a bad situation gives the wizard the edge over the other classes. But really, what is meant by being the "best at soloing"? Soloing what? How? And if we add mercs in the concept of solo since the player is actually playing the game solo, and without another human being, then how does this affect the question? If pets are allowed? Both pets and mercs?

I can say that I've went from level 1 to level 34 pure solo wizard, no pet, no merc. From 35 to 74 I've used a cleric merc. My favored victims are light blue. The one and only time I've found myself in a situation I couldn't easily escape was in the Tower of Frozen Shadow one of the named had an endless spin-wizard spell which I couldn't get out of because let's face it, an instant spell that costs zero mana and causes the wizard to spin for 30 seconds able to do nothing until he gets spun again is cheating. But what is everyone else's actual experience with playing this game by yourself, no other humans involved?
  16. runecrow Elder

Beastmaster is the only class I've played solo that didn't die a single time, up to 30th level. Haven't played the character since, but it has that singular distinction.
  17. runecrow Elder

Well that's odd because I solo named all the time. Bear in mind that the only reason they're summoning me is because I just dropped a critical nuke on them and now that's I've been instantly brought up to them I can unload a few instant critical nukes in their face and either stun them, repeat, or gate away.
  18. sifonin Augur

Go try your technique on any named mob who is actually worth their salt at content level runecrow. For example if you try those tactics to "solo" a tier three named mob from tds, you will be dead before you can even say the word nuke.
  19. runecrow Elder

Bear in mind what I've already said, when I say "wizard is best solo" I'm adding the caveat "if we're meaning 'no assistance whatsoever'" which means no merc, no pet; you're looking at your screen and you're only seeing one health bar. One health bar == solo. Two health bars != solo.

So my response to your challenge would be, first, my wizard is level 75 and no way I would ever attack something beyond my level, that doesn't mez or snare, or summons. I'll attack what I actually have a chance of beating. I'll gate from something clearly outmatching me and come back when I'm ready for the challenge.. I may even die if I can't get the gate off. I'm not indestructible, I die just like everyone else.

But secondly I'd say, get any other level 75 class, no pet, no merc, and I'll put my money down that says my wizard does better than any of them in a solo match against anything. By "better" I also mean "far less likely to die should things turn ugly".

I mean, you're talking "solo" like it's some smooth, mechanical thing that always goes according to plan- which it never does. You're talking about soloing named like all named are the same, but they're not. There's so many variables here that aren't being taken into account that the question and replies don't really have any meaning.

Even the word "solo" (let alone "best") is being ill-defined. If we're defining "solo" as "no merc" then necro, mage, bst are clearly the best because their classes have built-in mercs called 'pets'; necro being the best of these because he can actually just send his pet/merc in to attack and take the brunt of the assault while necro just stands in the background (hoping nothing jumps him from behind because expect the unexpected).

But if "solo" is meaning "no assistance" (i.e. one solo health bar on screen) then if mercs are out, so are pets because there's no mechanical difference between a merc and a pet except you don't have to pay the pet plat.

Because what's being said is "wizard can't solo he'd get beat by named mobs which con red" while necro/mage/bst saying this hides behind his pet. Wizard is turning around and saying "I can both kill, and survive, better than you could if you weren't hiding behind your assistant who does all the work for you". Fighter classes are good at fighting but not escaping. Wizard is good at both destruction (nukes) and surviving (gate).

Again, if by "solo" we mean "one human being in the group" then I have no idea who is best, probably a fighter type with a healer merc? If "solo" means "one human being and his class pet" then it's either necro or bst, maybe mage.

If "solo" truly means "solo" as in "one solo health bar on screen" then it's has to be wizard. Yes, wizard can get in a bad situation soloing- and gates away to fight another day; everyone else dies.
  20. runecrow Elder

asterisk that statement with "except cheating NPC that has instant, zero mana cost 'wizard-spin'"