Best Solo Class..Necro?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Fuel, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Fuel Journeyman

I'll be playing/returning and playing solo until prog/rel.

Alone :(

What class should I roll?

v/r,
    Fuel
  2. Naugrin Augur

To me, necro is the ultimate solo class. That being said, mages are probably easier to kill most nameds with.
  3. Fuel Journeyman

kk, cool. tks Naug.
  4. sojero One hit wonder

for speed of XP --> NEC
    for named soloing --> mage
  5. Numiko Augur

grab a merc warrior and any class can solo to 60+, some just do it a bit faster then others.

If you do not want to use a merc or defiant gear and be more classic you can still solo to 50+ with just about any class, it will just be a bit slower, major pet classes will be faster though.

Changes over the years to player stats, midigation, pets and spells mean it's almost impossible to die fighting a moss snake or a decaying skelly like in 1999.
  6. strongbus Augur

Sorry I will have to disagree with this. Anything dealing with solo/molo necro beats mage hands down.

When it comes to killing anything named or reg mob the only thing a mage has over a necro is selection of pets. Other then that necro have many more tools/trick to use to kill mobs.
  7. Tachyon Augur

Yep, today's mages and old school mages are two different animals. Mages were few and far between in the old days and the main reason was survivability and self maintenance. Not needing a mana buff is huge in the pre-easy travel era.
  8. Varkalas New Member

How so? Let's say you're 1-on-1 with a named mob. You're level 105, maxed passive AA's (pet and you). You cleared everything else around with plenty of time to take it on. With the necro you have DoTs with resist rates comparable to mage DD resist rates, except the leech series. You'll be tanking from time to time, and LL to get health back. Your mana regen is a bit faster but not by that much anymore with new gear. The necro rogue pet does less damage and is weaker than the mage water pet. You have one damage shield you can give to your pet through AA, mage has a powerful damage shield. You also have no summoned items for your pet.

Assuming purist soloing (no one helping you out...no mage to summon items for your pet, no enchanter/bard/shaman to help), how can a necro be better? I'm genuinely curious because the necromancer was my favorite class from 1999 up until I started playing EQ again this year. Can they still be better than mages, like the good ol' days?

Also, disregard FD, snare, root, etc. if we're talking about pure soloing/moloing power. Snares don't matter anymore. FD is for splitting (which isn't as fun or impressive as taking it all on) or if you screw up by not paying attention or understanding your surroundings.
  9. moogs Augur

I don't know any necro worth his salt who lets his pet run around naked. But for the sake of argument we'll go purist soloing.

The necromancer can and will stack a rotation of 15+ DoTs on a boss. Nothing's going to survive that. He can also turn the mob into undead, and then slow it. The necro has more tools to heal himself and his party than the mage does. That can make a difference on a serious boss fight.
  10. Varkalas New Member

Okay, sweet! This is the kind of information I need. I was just about to make a new topic. :D

So you're saying...if I were to run as a solo purist then the necromancer is still best? If that's the case I'm rerolling this dumb magician on the Trakanon server. Or...try to find another server that also has a low population (anyone know if the test server is decent?).

By purist solo I mean: no grouping, no buying from the bazaar, no buying items from merchants that players sold to them, no buffs from other players (strip them if they try), and no items or gifts from other players. Essentially no assistance of any kind even when offered or presented.
  11. moogs Augur

I think it's a tossup, and it comes down to knowledge, ability and playstyle. You could do quite well with your mage. I don't know anyone who runs as a solo purist the way that you described. (Of course, if that's your thing then by all means try out both and come back here with the results.)
  12. Andronicus Elder

Solo...means no merc. Necro wins.

Mage is much more powerful hunting named mobs, and can solo/molo better than any other class.

However, just play what you like!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Dixa Augur

mages have an easier time pet tanking. given how many mobs are 100% immune to fear 85+ this was kind of important. the earth, air and even water pets are tougher than the necro level 82 tank pet fully geared. as i three box an enchanter and bard, the mage drops things so stupidly fast with nearly endless mana it's just not funny.

the mage swarm pets are significantly tougher than the necro swarm pets and do a lot more damage.

necros however, if you can throw up all your dots and not get one-rounded the second you pull aggro, are going to drop things faster. mana regen wise they are awful close now, mage spell costs specifically their swarm pets are just a lot higher.
  14. Brohg Augur

Is this at all serious? You must have been a terrible necromancer.

#1, dismissing the ability to split mobs to clear around a named, or pull named out without clearing, is pretty ridiculous.

#2, resists on dots are much lower, with modifiers ranging from -30 to -100. The leech ones are even better, with -200, but rarely make the cut since there's so many better damage spells. For magicians only the anti-elemental nuke, not any of the spears or rains, has any modifier at all.

#3, the necro never tanks any more than the necro wants to, FD drops the necro's agro to 0 at-will. Of course they could tank for a bit, if they wanted to, with their Embalmer's Carapace million point rune that doubles as a savage +damage disc, but that's neither here nor there.

#4, necro mana is so much better that nearly no necro bothers with +spec augs to lower the cost of damage spells. Calling that difference "minor" is … an unusual perspective.

#5, -- rogue pet? neither magician nor necromancer is using a rogue pet to solo named

#6, damage shield is just one way of dealing damage, that you use that instead of casting better spells doesn't mean anything.

#7, competent soloists aren't losing their pets all willy-nilly, so putting a couple hundred plat into crafting far better than summoned armor is no big deal.

Dismiss all the outside-combat utility you want to dismiss, prima facie silly as it is - in combat, Necros if they feel they need to can slow and cripple their own mobs. Necros heal themselves of damage from Rampage and AEs. Necros can mez spawned adds, which usually straight kills them.

The actual only thing magicians have going for them in a solo situation is a bit tougher pet. And that's a thing, but hardly a lock on quality as a solo/molo killer.
    Banished, Fallfyres and Smallpox like this.
  15. Naugrin Augur

Brohg is pretty spot on.

Mage is more of an easy button, but necros are far more versatile and can still kill nameds just fine. It takes more tools but you have more tools and using them is part of what makes a necro fun. It's also what makes them the ultimate solo class (as I said in reply to the op).
    Borek-VS likes this.
  16. Varkalas New Member

Hahaha, sorry Brohg! It really was a post to try to get exactly that kind of information. I played mainly from 1999 to 2002. I recall facepalming frequently watching other necromancers fail at what I did easily, so I wouldn't say I was poor in skill. That scenario I portrayed was all guestimation to how the mechanics work these days with all of the new things (mercenaries, tons of new AA's active abilities and spells, augmentations, etc.). Much obliged for the information. Cheers mate!
  17. Brunlin Augur

Necromancers rock...so do Druids! If soloing in progression, than a charm kiting, root rotting,quad kiting Druid just cant be ignored. Druids are a little puny starting off, though.

Yes, necros and mages are easier to begin with and have a smaller learning curve, but a druid worth his salt on the progression server is a force to deal with. Druids early on was the king of soloing in outdoor zones with multiple mobs...Necros were the king of soloing single target mobs, dungeons, and names. Two completely different play styles, though I did enjoy both classes.

If you ever decide to two box...Druid/Mage though Druid/Necro not as good but also powerful.
  18. Dread1313 New Member

Sorry for the thread "necro", i was just looking in this forum for tips on being one (its my #1 favorite class.) I multibox 5 accounts (Right now its Cleric, Mage, Chanty, Shaman, and Necro). I use the mage to get where I want to hunt, CoTH 2 more toons, set down a campfire, portal everyone else in, buff up, and totally annihilate camps. Now since the debate of mage vs necro, mage is nice, but I will say hands down my necro is the most beefiest, most damn survivable most adaptable class I own. I can just take my necro and leave everyone else and do stuff that just not many other classes can do (except MAYBE SK). Hell, I dont even have to use a merc, just me and my pet - get adds? root them. Root wont stick? Mezz or Snare or fear. Cant do any of those and the mobs now trying to kill you? Feign Death! Stand back up, heal pet, heal pet, feign again, till one mobs dead then focus fire the last one with pet and then sit and regen all your mana back to full in about 1 minute. Mages cant feign death and they cannot do the things that necros do. They cant rezz, they cant feed a healer mana, they cant heal anything BUT their pets. Mages are awesome, they do have lots of utility, but I will always hold a special place in my heart for necros. I think on my necro ive died maybe once or twice, if that. Just because of feign death and then the self heals(taps)+pet heals. They are friggin amazing. They aren't OP per se' but they are pretty damn powerful i will give them that.
  19. Fenudir Augur

When it comes to soloing named, necros can throw so darned many swarm pets at a mob it's unreal. They can pretty much lock a named down with swarm pets.
  20. runecrow Elder

if by 'solo' we mean, just one human being in the group, then probably necromancer.

BUT if by 'solo' we mean, just one digital being with no assistance, then i'm going to be respresenting the wizard. because a pet is just a little merc and is definitely assistance. we wizards don't need no stinking pet to assist. purist soloer of them all.