They say a picture is worth a thousand words....

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gorian147, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taliefer Augur

wait, what? where did you see that the two programs (i assume boxer that is. and quest of macroing) are assisting them with this?

im sure there will always be some jackwad trying to circumvent the rules and try to mass box on a server that is set up against it, but if the above is true it should make that harder. might even interest me enough to start over yet again. probably not, but maybe.
  2. Vaclav Augur

Agree on Besteva - of our bot people they and the bard guy (Lenolan or something?) were both class acts.

On the BP however - experience to "Hey, here's free loot" to actually earning your own is a tad different feeling. Free loot is nice and all but certainly not as memorable or nostalgic to most.
  3. RoamingBlue Journeyman

Ok, those payments make total sense - as an operating expense.

But one has to wonder, how many of those payments were made in Krono rather than by ponying up your own personal credit card. Also, that was your outgoing cash flow. Since you're dishing up revenue streams, what did the incoming numbers for your business look like? Did you turn a profit?

I mean, you used to look at your website as a revenue stream and abandoned that idea because ad-block ruined the concept. Then, you were rejuvenated with regards to EQ and headed to the progression servers. Is this business model more lucrative?
    Fallfyres likes this.
  4. AlmarsGuides Augur

the owner of i assume boxer said he will not circumvent the ruleset of a no box server you can google to find this on the official i assume boxer forums.

as far as i know they are not a a kahootz though to make the server, he simply stated he isn't going to go against daybreaks wishes and make it work there.

That however isn't to say no one will do it
  5. Vaclav Augur

Someone had linked it either here or on another forum that I frequent, I couldn't verify the quotes since they were between Holly and the developers to each program on the forums for each product (that I refuse to use be associated with so don't have an account on either) - but I remember it was someone that I had no reason to doubt that posted C/P of the conversation that looked legit and absolutely confirmed that both developers were fine with putting in a "NoBox server detection" line of code that would make their programs not function with the NoBox TLP per Holly's request.

If I bump into it again, I'll relink it more prominently, but it looked legit to me.

This isn't to say some idiots won't try to recode the software - but considering I've heard of very few that use the programs to coordinate multiple machines as is, having to mod software + have tons of PCs + I've also heard the theory that hardware KVM is detectable according to some folks more PC saavy than myself - I'd imagine anyone using modded software/etc is going to be in the minority. [Especially the legal one of the two software's - since being sub based modding is obviously going to be intentionally difficult]
  6. AlmarsGuides Augur

Everquest is my hobby. It is literally the only game I play for fun. My website brings in 150$ a month right now, it is still a completely abandoned job. My job now involves freelance coding from home which is why I have abundant free time to do what I love, EQ. My credit card was used for every expansion i bought since you can't buy them with kronos or anything but a CC/paypal.

All my accounts are paid for entirely with kronos.

My website is still and always will be a failed idea of mine financially. My website literally COSTS me money to keep running but I know how helpful my guides are and I know how many people enjoy them so I keep it running and will until the TLPs are through.

Technically since I paid for it all with kronos I paid 17$ a month instead of 15$ a month, it was just someone elses money.
  7. Vaclav Augur

I'm confused how you're earning $150/mo on your website and losing money on it - that sounds like really expensive hosting unless there's an error somewhere.
  8. AlmarsGuides Augur

yes
  9. RoamingBlue Journeyman

Playing EQ at the expense of others (and no, I'm not just talkin' financial) - real classy, sounds legit, who should have a problem with that?
  10. AlmarsGuides Augur

You took that way out of context. You act like "I" was the person who forced them to use their credit card on the Kronos or like I had a direct role in them buying Kronos. I am not in control of their actions, they are. They made the choice to purchase that krono and sell it, not me.

I honestly don't know what to say to you. You've actually legitimately depressed me a little bit. You act like I am a criminal because I am playing the game I love and enjoying it and because someone else, who I don't know, who I have no control over, bought an item with their credit card that they then sold to me.

Take that for what it is worth RoamingBlue. You have legitimately made me feel like a human being for what reason?
  11. AlmarsGuides Augur

Never mind, i dont care. Done with the forums today I can't handle the people here.

-this is why i box-
    Steampunk likes this.
  12. rune00 Augur

https://twitter.com/eqmule/status/636628004966395904
  13. Gorian147 New Member

*sigh* editted for telling almar what I really think. Don't need to read in the paper about Almar being another Shawn Woolley.
  14. AngorfLadroTholuxeP Augur

Hey guy, keep playing the passive aggressive hypocrite and then when people call you out, lash out them and play innocent. Lol~
  15. seven New Member

The person who gave him the BP wasn't Besteva, was probably just some left over chat. And I don't care how nice Besteva is, monopolizing Phinny and Hate like he does shouldn't be allowed.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  16. Naelbis Elder

I get why people love EQ, its a great game. But part of what makes it fun is the interactions with other players, teaming up to kill things, sharing experiences, etc. What is the point of playing if all you are doing is running your personal army around and killing things that would otherwise require teamwork? The only logical answer is you are not playing for fun, you are playing to make money. Since the only way to do so is to consume content and make it difficult (if not impossible) for others to do said content/reap the rewards without paying you I would stipulate that box armies DO in fact harm the game. They break game balance, ruin immersion and place artificial constraints on what regular players can do. All of which is garbage behavior and DBG should be kicked in the balls for allowing it.
    Gorian147, Friday and Kaneras like this.
  17. Zublak Augur

I have fun playing alone with my boxed toons.

Also, as I've said I've allowed numerous people to group with me as well. I will say though, there's been many times I let someone join me and they ruin my experience. They try and pull while I'm pulling, they break mezzes, they dps the wrong target, get mad if I take the item I'm there to get, even after explaining that to them before I allow them group with me (I never asked for help).

There are numerous reasons why people box. What's fun for you might not be for everyone else. It takes all kinds....

Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
    What might be right for you, may not be right for some.
    A man is born, he's a man of means.
    Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

But they got, Diff'rent Strokes.
    It takes, Diff'rent Strokes.
    It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

Everybody's got a special kind of story
    Everybody finds a way to shine,
    It don't matter that you got not alot
    So what,
    They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine.
    And together we'll be fine....

Because it takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
    Yes it does.
    It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
    Kharl Winslow likes this.
  18. Old_Timer Journeyman

This exactly!
    Friday likes this.
  19. rune00 Augur

You are just gonna have to accept that others enjoy commanding their own army of characters NOT having to interact with others or engage in "teamwork"... And while doing so not caring at all for the money or loot.

I've seen many people just let loot rot or give it away instead of looting and selling it.

I don't expect you to grasp how difficult it is to command an army in eq but when done correctly it's more rewarding than money and loot...

I don't do 18 chars I box 6 but thinking of expanding to 12 so I can take on some more difficult stuff... Once you have it all setup and running smoothly you never go back to just playing solo again...
    Kharl Winslow likes this.
  20. SyDiko Augur

Mage Armies,

Even though this point has been beaten to death, the original poster and these threads certainly need to continue until Daybreak steps in and eliminates you and your toxic mindset. You are determinal to the community. There is no reason to play 6 of the same class’ on a brand new TLP server other than for monetary gain.

Instead of making a ‘no box server,’ why not move all the Mage armies onto their own server? That way, since they don’t want to play a communal game, they can fight each other for camps. If you’re not in it for the money, this shouldn’t be a problem right?

And, anyone playing or supporting these Mage armies are full of bologna.I call BS on your 'old school' boxing for the simple fact that you did not have the resources, funds, nor the know-how to truly play more than 2 accounts and I’d be happy to explain why...

1) You would have had to purchased a $29 expansion for each account every 6-9 months.
    - Right now, all relative expansions are free with your $14/month subscription. Back in the day, you would have had to shell out between $30-$40 dollars per expansion. Its easy to box now because you’ll probably box for a couple months, get all the gear you need, and make your money. The server dies down and you cancel those subs until the next expansion. Rinse, repeat, and relive for each unlock. All those false gains that daybreak makes from these army players will drop off significantly if you look at it from this point of view.

2) Store bought Desktops were not powerful enough,
    - Lets face it, you wouldn’t have played EQ on a laptop. You would have barely played on a desktop. If you knew what you were doing you had a 16/32MB ATI video card still barely allowed you to play just 1 account. If you didn’t know what you were doing, you probably wouldn’t have walked out of Qeynos on your 100mhz Pentium machine with shared vram.

3) Dial Up Modems were in the majority,
    - In classic EQ, back in 99 the majority of players were playing on 56k modems. I had the luxury of cable at home before going off to college in 2000, but I started on a 56k modem. Most of my friends that played didnt subscribe to dsl/cable services until 2002. Therefore, if you did box, you would have had to have a phone line for each character that you wanted to log in. And, don't try to say that you boxed on your college's T1 line either. Highly unlikely that you somehow fit 2-6 full-sized desktop computers in your dorm.

Anywho, the point is bologna. You aren’t doing any favors to daybreak but cheating them out of longevity. And, that [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] program that you are using? Pitiful. The creator also goes into a spiel about, 'we provide additional money to the game because we pay for more accounts, blah blah blah.' Yeah, right.
    Fallfyres and Gorian147 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.