afk mages everywhere

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Finnster, Aug 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghubuk Augur

Actually, adv loot makes it much easier for people to afk farm using in-game macros that aren't willing to use the un-named software. Prior to adv loot feature, you could only in-game macro /tar <mob>, /loot but it meant you had to be basically on top of the mob to do so. With adv loot function, you don't need to be near the corpse.
    Simone likes this.
  2. Borgnine New Member

My experience was similar except there wasn't a mage on each spawn point, there was 1 mage, obviously being run by a bot program, running the routes and pathing like mobs do as soon as a named spawned to kill it. It was one of many times when my hopes were yet again dashed on these two servers.
  3. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

I have a G19 keyboard, I am able set keyboard macro's with built in delays, I am able to set a variety of repeats associated with the macro, including toggle, meaning it will repeat until disabled (or until focus from the window changes). So with a simple keyboard macro that is set to auto repeat, that calls an in game social macro, the client would never go idle, overcoming your "solution" to advanced looting.
  4. Ghubuk Augur

Personally, I think the adv loot function was a mistake.
    Friday likes this.
  5. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

I did say it would address some of the issues, not all of them ;-). The single client per computer just raises the bar slightly, meaning it is not as trivial to run 6/12/18 box teams.
  6. Behee Augur

True, but if you are standing on the spawn point, and the mob agros on you and your pet kills it, then all is fine. You don't need automation to do that, although people assume you do have it. Same for looting.

That's the issue, it's hard to detect automation (unless they are obvious about it). But for simple cases like holding a named spawn point, you don't necessarily need automation, and if you don't need it then you have a higher standard to prove it is being used rather than some acceptable method such as sitting at the spawn point.
  7. Behee Augur

So, it is easier for legitimate farming to loot, or for macro'ed killing. but then you have to prove the person is afk. I am disabled, I don't talk much in game because it is too hard. I don't answer random tells. I am doing what would look like afk playing, but I am there.

Anything which then makes my playing "illegal" or places me at a disadvantage against other players more than my disability already does, is a direct violation of the ADA and I invoke that protection whenever I need it.

That's the issue -- you can't easily tell if a player is there, there but distracted, there but yacking in their guild, there but disabled, there but sick as a dog and not feeling chatty, or any number of other scenarios.
  8. Tweelis Augur

Way back when FV started there was a trivial loot code. I know it's possible to implement something like that, just not sure how difficult it would be to put it in place to prevent this sort of thing. While there was a work-around to the TLC I wonder if it could be tweaked to be beneficial not only in situations like this but also for other things.
    Fallfyres, Behee and Simone like this.
  9. Fastdefense New Member

With the new 1 client per computer coming in the fall, I think that will be a waste of a server. Large portions of LJ and RF like to box. I think it would be interesting if they had statistics on how many accounts box vs how many dont. To me, DBG needs to put their money into a new server that can hit a wider audience such as PVP TLP which also fixes the AFK issues from above.

Dont hate on someone for making a better mouse trap.You may not see it as fair, but neither is life. Im against the AFK farming, but its life.
    Vitali likes this.
  10. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

I do not believe that a PvP TLP server would have a larger population than a 1 client per computer no boxing server.

As for hating on someone or even their ideas, it was most certainly not better than others that have been proposed.
  11. Ghubuk Augur

LOL. Invoking some "disability" clause in a game you purchased of your own free will.
  12. Asheran Augur

Some people seem to miss one thing about what the OP was saying:

These were people that were AFK on a spawn spot, with a pet up. That is NOT automation. There is nothing wrong with doing that. It can go wrong, causing them to die (and likely their corpse won't be rezzable when they return).

Also, if you are a lower level, just stand near them until the mob spawns. Unless it has undead aggro, the mob will aggro on you first, and their pet will not attack.
  13. Ghubuk Augur

Which just goes to my point that it wouldn't do them much good without the adv loot feature.
  14. Healiez Augur

I think a 1 client per computer is going to be insanely popular, and will likely force a merger between ragefire and lockjaw to keep a decent population on them.

I box and I plan to play on that server because playing one toon is enjoyable for me, it changes the raid scene and farming scene as well.
  15. Simone Augur

Exactly. So the solution is either disable advloot, which is otherwise a great system, or to make it so that when a pet kills a mob on it's own that mob rewards no exp and no loot. make the mage smack the mob with 1 attack that is not their pet. That will force the mage bots to at least be out in the open where they will have line of sight to the mobs which increases the risk to the mage. It also makes it a bit more difficult for them to automate as they now have to use more complex macros to cast a nuke in addition to having their pet attack.

For those that would say such a fix would only hurt low level solo mages and necromancers. Keep in mind no one at low levels that is actually playing their character needs their pet to do 100% of the damage for them. level 1-20 chars always using spells in addition to the pets and even using melee attack. On groups and raids this issue doesn't even come up since there are always more people in raid doing other things and it shouldn't be too hard for a guild to have a melee smack a mob once in massive pet wall situations.
  16. Fastdefense New Member

Well, my theory is to each is their own. I'm not a fan of the RF server. I'm on it, and this is just to much drama for a game.
    People on these forums complain about EVERYTHING. To each is their own when it comes to how you want to play. That is the great thing about EQ. If someone is willing to put in the time and have no real life, then that's their option. It hurts other players who are more casual but that's competition. I'm not trolling the thread, my views are just different. I would like to see the statistics out of pure curiosity on how many people plan to play a 1 character server, and how many people currently box on RF/LJ.
  17. Naelbis Elder

As much as I despise him, G***mage one-three doesn't bot. He uses macros to target mobs and pet attack, but he is at the keyboard. He is just playing is main somewhere else while he uses the boxes to farm for BAMS to sell. I fought him for weeks to try and get a BAM for myself before I gave up. Then I moved to LJ and had one within an hour of going to RE. You're just best off avoiding him unless you bring a class that can one shot the mobs. It sucks that he is allowed to farm the entire floor, but that is what happens when you neuter the PnP.
    Simone likes this.
  18. Behee Augur

Yup, lots of people LoL at websites who create content not accessible to everyone. Or restaurants I visit of my own free will who don't have washrooms for the disabled. Or countless other places the disabled are prevented from being normal, regular PAYING customers.
  19. Steampunk Augur

So, even with all this, I suppose everybody would still be opposed to an AFK auto-kick?
  20. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

You can setup the macros to run forever, then setup an audio trigger you can hear from anywhere in your house..... Just because he can run to the keyboard after the trigger plays doesn't mean he isn't automating things...

That's why he comes running to tells... but /say anything next to him for a good 30 minutes straight he'll never notice it ? lol
    Simone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.