What do you guys love thee most, About Eq ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Whulfgar Augur

Too much negativity of this or of that, people complaining they cant get grps, people complaining about their class because of this or that (again)..

So I am curious what if anything do you guys love about this game ?
  2. Kobrah Augur

The unrestricted style of play you can have with varying classes with enchanter probably being the best example of dps tank cc all in one but not all in one for everybody.... I am not a tank but I tank everything.. Strategy can overcome dps weaknesses, tank weakness, heal weakness. That's always been a defining point to me as why I keep playing. Being good at your class still counts for something.

Edit. I think the classes have actually blended together too much to be honest. Being a class with pacify or mez was why you played them. Being a monk, meant having the skills to split 5 mob rooms with only your FD, now you have some cookie cutter ae mez blur effect. Bashing mattered, snaring mattered, gating mobs (FUGGERS !!!). Everything is too easy but that's the way it goes nowadays. But the first part keeps me playing.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  3. Xanathol Augur

What the game could be...
    Zarzac and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  4. Reval Augur

We just all feed on the negativity nowadays. No one else will say it, but the jig is up.
  5. Hiladdar Augur

New expansions, making AA, and raids ... raids ... raids
  6. Roxxanna Augur

The people and teamwork required to get some things done.
    But still being able to just say f everyone else I'm gonna go do the stupid crap I find fun.
  7. Forcallen Augur

Advancing my character be it loot, achievements, spells, AA or improved methods of doing my job in certain scenarios. Playing with friends. Pushing the limits of what can be done.
  8. Reht The Dude abides...

The fact that it has kept my oldest gaming friends' attention after all these years; it gives me the opportunity to play a game with them in spite of what the game has become. Yeah, backhanded compliment, but all i got these days.....
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

People for the most part. Followed closely by content we work through together. And really, throwing some plat at a krono every month is pretty cost effective compared to nights out in the bar.
  10. Urshulgi Augur

PLayed from 2000-2004, and I just returned recently. What brought me back is too many MMOs require massive amounts of clicking rapidly, and raiding in many MMOs is more like playing a console rpg where you dance from spot to spot, listen to your addon tell you to move, and then dance again. Everquest always had loads of zones and lots of places to go and explore. The original game was absolutely huge.

I enjoy the difficulty and the fact that I can get things done while playing relaxed. I like camping a dungeon, splitting a room, and killing mobs for xp and vendor drops. I don't like leveling/grinding that requires me to run a break-neck pace from one repetitive quest to the next. In EQ I can pick a zone, and a spot in that zone, and start knocking down mobs. This playstyle doesn't fit everyone, but it fits me. To me, fighting mobs is fun, being worried about adds is fun. Most MMOs now let you kill a mob in 2-4 hits and then move on to the next one, claiming that this is action. It's not action when you're spending 95% of your time running.

I think I'm going to try out one of the TLPs next, even though I've heard gameplay suffers greatly because of too many boxed groups leveling every mob in sight. As long as I can find some groups for content it will be fun for me.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  11. Diptera Augur

What the game *was*....
    Gyurika Godofwar and Fallfyres like this.
  12. Numiko Augur

The Ding, I am addicted to the Ding :oops:
    Elricvonclief and Mayfaire like this.
  13. Silv Augur

Enchanters. It's such a fun class to play and few other games come close to recreating what the EQ Enchanter is/does (or maybe there are a lot and I just don't know about them).

Also, people of course. Usually. I've made a lot of in game friends, some of which have become r/l friends. Friends are always good!

And guide events... when they don't give out the same ornament three times in a row :confused:
  14. Ferry-Tunare Augur

This is going to be a short thread.
    Silv likes this.
  15. Whulfgar Augur

Aint that the truth I spend about 200$ for accounts I play in game, and 1 night at the bar I can double that easily !
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I find the boxy, 1999 graphics very appealing...

No joke...

I read somewhere that the colors are more vivid than newer graphic engines.
  17. Qbert Gallifreyan

I enjoy a lot about the game or I would have quit long ago. I tried a few games here and there that came out since 1999, but almost every mmo since then has been third-person. I simply cannot play the game that way - the first-person perspective in EQ is vital to my continued enjoyment. I tried LandMark to get a feel for some of the graphics we might have seen in Next if it ever came out . . . but it's third person so it is highly unlikely I would play it more than on a whim (the first person view exists, but it's terrible - like eq2).

The few games that try to do the first-person thing make you seem like a tiny character in a huge space. I like that EQ still makes you feel like you are a part of the action - the perspective is right on for me.
    Mayfaire likes this.
  18. Bigstomp Augur

And the wife faction knowing I'm home not out is not to be overlooked.
  19. Rorce Augur

I'd have to say people, for the most part. The friendships made in this game are very real. Even when not playing, just chatting with friends and guildmates keeps me in the game.

There are plenty of days I never leave Guild Hall, Lobby, or PoK (just wherever I happened to leave off at last time I played). I just chat with friends, and count down the days till it's time to raid again!
    Bigstomp likes this.
  20. complexication Kassina

The love I have for my guild is literally what keeps me logging in.

I've never encountered such a wonderful batch of people, and the guild leader is by far the most humble person I've met. He literally stops at nothing to make sure you feel welcomed, and is the first to stand up for you when pissants in general throw tantrums.

That's what guilds should be about, imo - and I'm more than grateful for coming across them.