What a mess, stop trying to please everyone DBG.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Vicus, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicus Augur

I don't understand how a multi-million dollar company doesn't understand the basic business concept of "you can't please everyone". If you try you fall into a rabbit hole that you can never escape. I've played EQ since beta and the glory days of being in Legacy of Steel trying to maintain our top five status all the way to playing on Fippy many years later and seeing a completely different style of endgame (still the game with the best raid experience IMO). During that entire time I have seen some major goofs in EQ but man what has happen here over the last few months is just bad business. What was suppose to be fun is turning into a confused cluster.

You had to know that these servers were going to become your bread winners for at least the next 12 months so how come it was rushed out the gate? The beta was way to short. Statements on how the servers were suppose to be handled wasn't well thought out and are now just changed when you feel like it. Excuses like (its impossible to change pets/monks) are just false. These are game breaking decisions that have had a HUGE impact on these servers. You obviously did not need to rush these out the gate, because you are going to release ANOTHER server this winter. When the first progression server was released, SONY showed you what not to do, like NEVER release just one server because it's not going to work out. You didn't learn. Sending out a survey asking people to vote on a very few VAGUE server choice options is not a smart tactic.

You also can't tell me you didn't see the boxing/farming teams locking down raid targets in the future? People from Citizen, EOE, and DB were spending their entire off time doing this when we weren't pushing progression. Man the list goes on but here is a few of the really poor planned choices.

Tell everyone its going to be like the old days. (just a lie)
    Allowing Krono/Exp pots
    Having to make a second server, forcing people to now choose where to go. Friends are now being separated because they don't want to lose their characters.
    Mage/Monks- Lets just have two characters running around like Batman while everyone else is Robin. I rather these classes of been disabled until Kunark instead of allowed them to run around in Barry Bonds Mode.
    Caster focus items allowed at launch, and then putting melee augs in to counter the caster items. Realizing that everything dies to easy and buffing the mobs to make them harder because of this.
    Taking multiple votes, watching voters make a choice, and then just picking whatever you want. Just call them surveys, not a vote.
    Allowing server transfers for everyone without any real control. Once again going to lose some accounts because their friends bailed and they didn't want to for this and that reason. (not smart business). Also having people already established in a nice home and neighborhood then telling them we are going to build a Wal-mart right next to your house that is going to bring in hundreds of new people.

There's a lot more but I will leave it with this final one because I personally find it ironic and funny. Making multiple instances of every zone so making groups and leveling easier....which has come with nothing but POSITIVE feedback, but then not instancing raiding. The excuse? Because in the spirit of "competition" we want to keep that old school feel of rushing for mobs raid experience. Except this is NOTHING like the old school days of mob rushing. Now you have a group of 6-8 mages rushing a mob or 3-5 people boxing an entire raid to kill mobs. Making raid instances allows guilds to raid how they want. If people want the old school feel they make a guild where no boxing is allowed at raids..and then they go raid. But instead you allow 90% of your population watch as the 10% own everything. The fix? Allowing the community to create a schedule that you will be very hands off because getting blamed for everything is probably getting old.

So back to the basics. You can't make everyone happy. While I love the idea of a non box/1 account progression server and will join, I really wish this was created at the start with some thought behind it because having three servers is just going to make the community unhealthy population wise.

Take your time, make a legit plan, STICK to it, and fix this mess please. I would like to play without the feeling that every week I am going to read some new drastic change that is going to impact the game I am trying to play.

Vicus
    Norathorr, Tris, MaestroM and 6 others like this.
  2. Fallfyres Augur

----------------------
    You sir ought to be paid for this post. I will say some already said it in bits and pieces, BEFORE, EARLY ON, and RIGHT UP UNTIL THIS DAY..and you didn't really talk about the elephant in the china shop RMT'rs, however, kudo's to you for saying it all sadly, concisely and without truffles.
    Everquest Now. A damn shame.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  3. Porygon Augur

This is one of the worst posts ever. Sure you'll have people tell you it's amazing, but all it is, is a bunch of uneducated nonsense.

They didn't release 2 servers at launch because they increased server capacity (almost doubled it) and thought that would work.

They attempted to revert monk fist damage, and explained the toll it took on the server, the amount of "memory" that was needed was too much.

Mages and monks have huge impacts on 5% of the life of this server. You claim to have played on Fippy, you should know this. Not only this, but anyone that classifies just mages as being overpowered is just dumb. All pets have had their power increased. They are all OP.

People have locked down mobs forever. It doesn't take people boxing to do that. On live, during GoD, I decided I wanted to try and kill Zlandicar. It took me a month to find him up, because high profile camps, and mobs will always be on lock down. This is nothing new to these servers.

Being given the option of changing servers is not a bad thing. If your friends want to leave, and you don't want to, that's not DBGs problem. No-one will lose their characters. They are offering you FREE transfers. Guess what, I lost 8 names while prepping to transfer. I'll get over it. You will to.

I don't even understand your Wal Mart comment, so I'll ignore that.

Caster focus items are insignificant. Melee augs were not added afterwards, they have been on every progression server to balance out the disparity, so I'm not even sure what you're talking about here.

Exp pots are insignificant.

Kronos, while not ideal, don't change anything. The landscape of the game is fundamentally the same.

The instancing of zones was the best thing to ever happen to everquest. The devs have spoken and said instancing raids is to much work at the moment. This isn't 2004 where they have hundreds of employees dedicated to this. And the rotations that DBG are enforcing are for the good of the community. Making the guilds work together to come up with criteria is a good thing.

And as for the lone comment, RMT had always been an issue with EQ. This is nothing new. It's not any more of an issue now add out ever was before.

These servers are the best thing to happen to everquest ever. Just because you expected a classic server doesn't make DBG a bad company. Just because your needs weren't fulfilled doesn't make them bad businessmen.

And your title, about catering to everyone, not being in the best interests of the company is just wrong. There's a game out there that does just this and it has flourished for several years. Annihilating any and all competition in its way. It's called World of Warcraft.
    Batbener likes this.
  4. XTheMountainX Journeyman

Terrible post
  5. Skipper Augur

6. Rhodz Augur

I am still looking for this supposed Monk superpower that somewhere lurks in the game all I have found is hitting for a few more points H2H than the crap melee weapons available in this expansion. This surprised who?

Oh you mean thats it?
    That?
    Gimme a break.

Now Mags yeah they have a huge advantage so play a mag a while and enjoy it or just accept it. I just rolled a mag when I got tired of pushing the immovable object. Funny thing is this hurts Monks as much as anyone unless you are willing to pull and tank in leather IF the healers are willing to put up with the damage.

The krono is however a real problem that people have been pointing out since the first TLP and earlier. Seems some people can be bought cheap.
  7. Tudadar Augur

Dont forget that while they increased the server capacity they only instanced the noob zones mostly at the start and thought there would be no problems at higher levels. Imagine one server with no higher level zone instances. 2 servers was common sense for raid targets and non instanced higher level zones. Not doing it was pretty sad and a huge letdown for lots of people that couldnt even log in for days.
  8. RainbowTest Augur

Here is the most frustrating detail I have about the whole instancing fiasco. 90% of you guys do not play everquest past PoP. You have no clue that for the last 5ish years new content has been based on classic and that instances of classic have existed. There are NUMEROUS instances that could have been copied and tweaked to fit into the current TLP ruleset. It drives me absolutely bonkers to see the "instancing is just not possible" comment and then 3 months in everything under the sun is instanced except for the raid mobs. Seriously guys they went so crazy with trying to BLOCK the raid mobs instancing that they broke the live sides classic instances. The OMM raids and the HH raids were broken cause naggy and vox only spawn in the base instance. And don't even get me started with how they are literally revamping every raid mob. Let me get this straight, you can't change the damage output of a pet but you can change the damage output of a raid mob? How is that? Lies, its all lies to feed the RMT. I got news for you DBG, TLP is a gold mine yes, but you don't have to do it this way. Make it so the only way to spawn an instance of the raid mob is to hand the Harbinger a frigging krono. You know those loot card things you are selling? Make them have a chance to drop a classic loot item like a CoF and you'll start sellin them like theres no tomorrow and you'll have gotten rid of 90% of the toxic players cause they can no longer become the middle man of the krono game.
  9. Numiko Augur

While it is true there has always been RMT on EQ, before krono the EQ platinum was virtually worthless.

There was a huge supply of it and no one was buying, a million plats would sell for pennies. After Krono it suddenly became much more valuable.

On a live server a Krono sells for a million or more plats, not an amount most people can farm in a day, here on TLP servers it is easy to farm enough to get several Krono per day... that is what is drawing these people to here,
    Fallfyres likes this.
  10. Drexll Augur

Best post since the launch of these servers.
    complexication likes this.
  11. Unsunghero Elder

811 words to say "plz give instanced raiding" for the 10000th time. You should make me your editor
  12. Unsunghero Elder

^
    This guy loves anything that bashes EQ. You need to get a few alt accounts going so that we'll think it's new people because this is getting tired from you. "Quit" or get off the toilet, so to speak
  13. RainbowTest Augur

We're talking about you.
  14. Unsunghero Elder

^
    This guy also injects his request for instanced raiding into almost every thread on the TLP
  15. RainbowTest Augur

Well call me crazy but I find it very distasteful to pay a monthly fee to play a game and then have to pay even more money to experience any of the content. What was the 15 dollars for exactly if I have to have a stockpile of kronos to get anything due to these RMT oriented people locking content? These two servers represent THE worst Pay to win model that has ever existed in mmorpg history and its funny that this game is the granddaddy of mmo's and is being caught doing such a horrible thing. I remember when subscriptions actually meant something now they are just baggage fees.
  16. Porygon Augur

You realize that pp is still worth more than kronos right? As in, if I have one krono and sell it, I'll make $11. If I sell it for platinum, and sell the platinum I'll make somewhere between 15 and 20. This is fairly true on all servers.
  17. Nymm Journeyman

Nothing wrong with that. You forgot to point out that you, too, are injecting your dismissive image into multiple threads. The difference is that he seems to speak on behalf of the average player who is trying to salvage some enjoyable playtime from the megabox RMTs rather than the head-in-the-sand viewpoint that nothing is amiss with these servers. Or do you think it's for no reason that a no-boxing server has now been proposed.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  18. Numiko Augur

yes now, but before Krono it was worth a lot less. you would have been lucky to get a dollar for a million plats.
  19. Porygon Augur

Ahhhh gotcha. I misunderstood.
    Numiko likes this.
  20. Fiyero Augur

Well, monk fists at level 50 are a better ratio than anything until Planes of Power. You don't find that slightly overpowered? All our monks let Sky quest fists rot because they suck compared to base H2H. Are monks as OPed compared to mages? No, but they're still broken.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.