Missed tell = "You are botting"

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Espiritun, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Garshok Augur

False dichotomy. Health, mana, spell-bar, target box . . . what else do I need to pay attention to on my mage? Or tab to cleric, hit 1 for heal on tank, 2 for cure, etc.? There wouldn't be a reason to look at most of the screen during a fight. I'm not a helicopter pilot used to scanning every display every five seconds.

I'd just hope that the tell test is one item on a multi-item checklist. But yeah, if the guy isn't warping or the like, it's hard to tell without using a series of other (semi-subjective) tests/observations.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Tweelis Augur

The way I see it is if you rent a hotel room and agree to certain conditions before paying you need to be prepared to show the owner/manager that you're not breaking said agreement.....especially if they have evidence that you are in fact breaking that agreement.
  3. Nniki Augur

I can't say I agree with their methods, but for anyone interested, here are some regular expressions for GINA:

/tell
    Code:
    ^{S} tells you, '.*'$
    ;tell, [tell
    Code:
    ^{S} told you, '.*'$
    tell window
    Code:
    ^{S} -> {C}: .*$
    Yara_AB and Iila like this.
  4. Andronicus Elder

I block and/or ignore all /tells from unknown users.

Problem solved?
  5. Xnao Augur

What are you hiding?

R u a gm?
  6. Bigstomp Augur

Been boxing since I think 2006, never gotten a tell from a GM (other than when I was hoping for one to fix as issue I had petitioned about)
  7. Makavien Augur

The tell is not the end all of the check they also get 1 of your toons killed to see if your healer instantly rezzes and the toon instantly accepts . They also summon a non tank to see if the tank automatically runs across the zone to save that character. If you get banned for botting you were botting when you was not at the keyboard. Goes the same way when your auto foraging they do other things to test if you respond if you don't you are illegally botting or auto foraging.
    Garshok, Yara_AB and Iila like this.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

They're not going to just send a tell... they'll sit and watch you for a while. People that use automation software - and I'm not talking about sending keystrokes to a background instance of EQ - are very easy to spot. All of the characters instantly attack at once, they all move to the correct positions - Rogues move to the back of the mob for example. And when the fight is done they all move back to the EXACT same spot they were before the mob showed up. Every single time... They see that, then they MIGHT send a tell or they might just ban the group since it's so obvious what's going on.

IMO, ignore the TLP drama... 3/4 of it is made up crap trying to get what that person wants for their "Vision (tm) of EverQuest".
    Iila likes this.
  9. Peltier Elder

FACT: Dbg, does not use tells to "verify" some one is using 3rd party bot programs to run toons.

FACT: If you use 3rd party programs to run toons and get found out, You get banned (Go effn cry soem where else that its "only a tell" thats how you got caught ..

Fact: YOU should not be so damned lazy that you NEED some thing else to play your toons for you for crying out loud.

Fact: if YOU .. took offense to this, GOOD .. then its probably ment for YOU ..

DBG: Good job, Keep up the good work . And keep EQ's name above board with out hackers (in any form) being allowed to play I for one sincerely thank you for your continued Bannings of People who do this highly offensive type of play.
    Borek-VS and Tweelis like this.
  10. Triconix Augur

Hell no, that's way too distracting. I keep all my chats on one single window and even then I barely pay attention to it.
    Garshok likes this.
  11. Endless Augur

Think I started boxing shortly after Kunark released and never had a GM /tell me about botting. Although I also stopped playing for years as well.

I remember boxing in LGuk and two dudes, a monk and ranger show up and try to take over the camp I'm at. At the time my main was a rogue, gigged out in current raid gear during a time when rogues were very good. So all they did was become the tank with no exp. Then they started training mobs onto my boxes. I /petition and the GM showed up as the monk runs a bunch of mobs onto my boxes and FD. GM saw everything and ported those guys away. No idea what GM did to them.
  12. Leeanni Elder

Since when do tells have to be read or responded to? Is that a requirement of the game now? I know when I was playing, I ignored a lot of tells just because I was totally wrapped up in the fight. I don't always look at chat boxes... missing a lot of guild chat and tells. So if I fail to answer tells I could get banned? Glad I don't play any more. No worries now =)
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

They are however subject to the nosound.txt (or whatever the name format for it is) file last I knew. Then there are also the reasons brought up by others that they have no reason for speakers on secondary computers which they are just running buff/healing boxes on.

I have 2/3 boxed in the past for hours and didn't notice until either my main or one of my boxes died that I saw that someone had sent one or both of my boxes a tell asking for something or other.
    Garshok likes this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And my favorite is they always seem to accept 0% resses. :)
    Garshok and svann like this.
  15. TitusMaximuss Lorekeeper

Use some 3rd party software... that way you won't miss tells... DUH