Missed tell = "You are botting"

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Espiritun, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Espiritun Augur

In this day and age, DBG's method of detecting third party automation software is to...Send you a tell!!!
    This is a ridiculous method, especially when BOXING is accepted. You seriously cant figure out any other way to detect automation then "sending a tell"!!! Do you even care about all the false positives you are generating because someones 3rd box got a tell?

How long does someone get to reply to your tell before they are banned all the while armies of RMT mages warp around the zone unfettered?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Motherlee like this.
  2. Sinzz Augur

allot of times its the bot police who send these messeges, folks who pay 15 bucks a month to police the server, as with boxers/botters I don't care what they get jollies on but if this is dbg way of catching folks its flawed especially when as a newer player and sometimes a older player resets ui everything dumps into one chat window. ohh and tell windows don't seem to work with audio triggers and tell windows will pop up minimized behind other tell windows too so yeah the tell system is flawed
  3. Koryu Professional Roadkill

There are people who don't use audio triggers for tells? And don't have tells filtered to their own high priority chat window? Weird.
  4. Fallfyres Augur

-----------
    Cheap chic Sinzz. Just a thin dime.:oops:
  5. Reht The Dude abides...

If you box and are having a hard time managing tells, you should try GINA - it can help you. It allows to monitor multiple log files at once. In addition to using text to speech or wav file sounds as notifications like in-game audiotriggers, you can create custom text notifications and send them all to an overlay on your main screen.
    Elricvonclief and Yara_AB like this.
  6. Laronk Augur

are they doing this on servers other than ragefire/lockjaw?
  7. segap Augur

So to prove you're not using "bad" third party software, you should use third party software? There are also lots of people that play the game with no sound at all. I don't even have speakers or headphones plugged in to my box machines. And that overlay only works if you play windowed versus full screen.
  8. Laronk Augur

I box and really I only answer tells on my "main" sometimes I remember to put up afk messages sometimes I don't. I use tell windows so eventually I'll notice the tell but unless you're talking to my main I probably don't want to be talking to you anyhow.
    Garshok likes this.
  9. Garshok Augur

Do they send one to everyone in the group?

I box. I only do tells and chat on my main, and odds are if I get a tell on one of the other boxes i will miss it. Likewise if I see a group and don't get a response to a tell, I will /tell other toons in the group for a response if I don't get one from the first toon. I will usually get a response by the second or third toon.

Wouldn't see much issue with this as long as they contact all the toons. If they do it to just one, though - not so good.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Motherlee like this.
  10. Endless Augur

I don't use audio triggers, because a lot of times I don't have any sound on. And how does that work for multiple accounts? It's not like anyone has audio on for all accounts assuming they have it on at all.

And yeah, it's like actual "botters" using programs to automate everything are more likely to respond to /tells as no doubt they have programs to alert them (assuming they're around), while "boxers" are more likely to miss a /tell cause they're too busy trying to control a bunch of characters.

For me, I don't think I'll have a problem responding running 4 accounts using 3 monitors. Main monitor and separate computer for my tank and is set-up as most people would set things up for normal grouping. Other three accounts share one computer and two monitors, enchanter gets his own screen since I mouse/keyboard control him a lot for mezzing and stuff. Shaman and wiz share other screen and are mostly hotkey controlled, but I have that monitor split to show a large EQwindow and a smaller one, click sham/wiz and I'm controlling that one on the larger EQwindow. So I see all my accounts at all times. Set up /tell as a pop-up window and haven't had a problem seeing that I got a tell.

However, if I don't respond to your "come buff me in PoK", it's because I choose to not respond. Yes, I am above responding to people I don't know /who all high level buffer, expecting me to drop what I am doing, zone to them to buff them. Go buy a potion.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  11. svann Augur

It used to be that if you didnt respond to a tell they would teleport you to a special timeout room and if you still kept trying to cast or whatever then that was proof. Dunno why they wouldnt be doing it that way because it seems pretty much solid evidence.
  12. Garshok Augur

That would have to be a GM action. Are the tells from GMs, or guides? (I'm not on Ragefire or Lockjaw, so no idea.)

I will say that if someone is boxing and NOT botting, having the healer suddenly get sent to some GM 'cat room' . . . could be kind of inconvenient for the group.
  13. svann Augur

I think it has to be a gm because afaik guides dont have the authority to ban anyone.
    And a little inconvenience is worth it. If it turns out the party was not botting the gm can return any lost xp and buffs to you.
  14. Splittin New Member

Wow, i have only 2 chat windows up and miss so much stuff between spam. Scary thought i can get banned because I didnt respond to a tell...This is a horrible way to check for bots.
  15. Reht The Dude abides...

That's your take away from it, but it is an option and it works without sound. Yes, it doesn't work with full screen. Just trying to offer helpful solutions, thanks for the......input.
    Silv likes this.
  16. Riou EQResource

iirc they send it to a random member, that isn't your tank/puller, so a toon that doesn't look like it's your main used one
  17. Koryu Professional Roadkill

With the so many lines of text being thrown at you, using only two chat windows is probably a poor way to play. You said it yourself, you get important messages spammed out. Try additional windows and filtering.
  18. Iila Augur

fearmongering.txt
    code-zero, Sheex and Silv like this.
  19. Silv Augur

This conversation should have ended with this. If you're going to box but not take any precautions to protect yourself since you KNOW they are actively looking for botters then no sympathy. Is that fair? Probably not. Is it effective? Close to 99%. For those of you who missed the convoluted intricacies of EQ :)rolleyes:), there is an ingame system to setup audio triggers with several sounds already provided. And, if you're capable of boxing I'm certain you have enough intelligence to make a custom text-to-speech file for "tell" or whatever gets your attention.

So, no 3rd party software needed. If you don't wanna play with sound then that is your personal choice. Just don't complain that there aren't super effective ways to avoid this potential scenario. That said, on Live servers, you have almost nothing to worry about as people don't care about boxing, they care about botting. It's completely obvious when this is the case. If you're on one of the new toxic servers then you just have Mage/Boxer hate in general so you'll get reported.
    Elricvonclief and code-zero like this.
  20. Laronk Augur

If you use tell windows it doesn't do the soandso tells you;
    Sinzz and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.