The Problem with Buffed-Up Raid Bosses

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Bandok, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Bandok Augur

I think this whole process of buffing up the raid encounters after the servers opened was not a great idea.

Did the events need to be beefed up to account for player power? Sure. Player power is much higher now than it was in the appropriate era, so increasing raid boss power to compensate is completely reasonable.

But it should have been done before the server opened.

Buffing up the bosses after the server has been open for a while just rewards those who rushed to do the raid content. They geared up with the "easy-mode" encounters, so they are now more capable of completing the "hard-mode" encounters. Latecomers to the raid scene just get "hard-mode."

If there's ANY thought to buffing up Kunark raid encounters, it really needs to get taken care of NOW, rather than after Kunark's been open for a while. The racers get their reward by getting the raid loots first, they shouldn't also get a reward of having easier content, which is what happened with Classic this time. If stuff gets tuned-up and then has to get tuned-down after Kunark opens because it got tuned to be too hard, that's fine, but tuning it up after the stuff has been cleared a lot creates a completely uneven playing field. Talk about taking "If you're not first, you're last" to an unnecessary extreme!

Again, my problem isn't with the raid bosses being buffed, it's with the timing.

(And yes, I know I'm saying this as a guy who hasn't even tried to "compete" for the bosses in question. But I am also saying this as a guy who thinks the base difficulty of an encounter shouldn't change from one guild to another; difficulty should be constant, and skill level of players should be the deciding factor.)
  2. Porygon Augur

You don't need any gear from raid bosses in order to kill raid bosses, new or old. You're putting to much emphasis on the gear.
  3. Prathun Developer

While it isn't fair or equitable to modify content after it's been live, we feel that not changing something that's unbalanced is the worse of the two options.

This has already been completed.
    Steampunk, Vaclav and Reece like this.
  4. Greymere Augur

Porygon, is right on this one the encounters are still very easy, they just aren't as faceroll easy.

Dungeon gear is still more than adequate, and melee classes as always are much more gear dependant than casters.
  5. Hateseeker Augur

Noticed in the Progression patch notes that Kunark zones can load balance. Currently that only matters for the older TLP but at least for Ragefire it's going to matter soon. Which ones won't be?
  6. Greymere Augur

Veeshan's Peak would be the only zone that would be like a Planes equivilent no? All the rest are just higher level group dungeon zones or outdoor zones with raid targets in them.

Between the Ring War and waking the Sleeper events, hard to imagine Velious ever getting load balancing.
  7. Bandok Augur

Ok, glad to hear that. I thought I'd heard rumors, but didn't remember seeing anything official about it.

No, I understand that (at least in theory, I haven't seen these yet), especially given a full raid. But a CoF or a Sky haste belt is better than an FBSS, obviously, and makes things a little easier.
  8. taliefer Augur

Gear isnt as important true, but it most assuredly does give the people that farmed gear on easy mode an advantage over those that didnt. especially in a dps race scenario, where you only need to do the most damage by 1. having more haste items helps in those cases for sure.
  9. Hateseeker Augur

Surely they could load balance Kael without Tormax/Idol/And Co. Most people thumb their noses at Thurgadin quest armor...
  10. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

Indeed it is, so when are mages being retuned ;-? Yes I know, a facetious rhetorical question, they won't be changed because of the potential impact on live...
  11. Korillo Augur

Mages are 100% fair and balanced what are you talking about omg
  12. taliefer Augur

i know armies of mages that beg to differ on the changing things that are unbalanced stuff~

note: thats a tongue in cheek statement that mages are massively Overpowered vs both content and when compared against other classes in early EQ, but wont be changed
  13. Greymere Augur

Easier but not really required remember things like Haste are capped at 175% between item haste and spell haste as well in this era, so even a FBSS with best enchanter haste is capped
  14. Roxxanna Augur

Thus the story of EQ. Someone finds a loophole, makes tons of plat/krono, they fix it, but don't take away the advantage gained by said a-hat(s), much jading ensues. They should have wiped the server again when they killed the boss on day 2, and buffed the hell out of them, but instead they patted that guild on the back and got all smoogie with them (a huge no no), alienating the rest of the server.
  15. Rancor New Member

I just hope Kunark bosses arent on this insane respawn time. Takes away a lot of the fun of raiding.
  16. SebastianTheIbis Lorekeeper

Gonna fix melee to be competitive with casters maybe then :p?
  17. Barathrum Augur

Thanks for wasting time and effort did you turn them into Rain instances? if you didn't please start a kick starter so i can put 10,000 American Dollars in it so you and the rest of the codes can actually get to work on something that will make people come back and enjoy the game.... otherwise pound SAND
  18. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Some of us in college around 99 really appreciated that EQ didn't ban for those dupe bugs.
  19. Machen New Member

LOL. Sure, buddy.
  20. chris_the_mage Augur

the problem with buffed up raid bosses is because how inept daybreak is and just slap the same buff on every boss

not sure why they do this, maybe because lazy, dumb, etc

but at end of day making encounters harder was cool, until you put zero thought into it and applied same buffs across the entire expansion

also, prathun, your attempt to stop mage walling has backfired.. currently 25 mages in posky clearing everything, lol bad company is bad