Find a new way to check if people are AFK

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Reece, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Skipper Augur

Yep, if I want to talk to someone I would give them my phone number or be on Mumble or TeamSpeak.
    Fastdefense likes this.
  2. Ironfoot Elder

Then go play skyrim.

I also see absolutely no point in boxing... It ruined eq live for me. It's not fun. and it annoys the hell outta other people when you take it to such extremes. Go play a single player game... or roll ONE toon and make some friends.

Just tabbing between my two accounts removes most of what makes eq great. And I really hate doing it.
  3. Banuvan Augur

While I agree to an extent I play WAY more than most people. Having a box crew allows me to still do group content and camp things when there is nobody else online. I don't go to extremes ( I have a war/mag/clr/brd ) but I'm able to camp pretty much anything except raid bosses with my group.
  4. Ironfoot Elder

Was that you I grouped with yesterday at Lord for about 30 minutes?

My sk/mage combo can do the same... including some raid stuff. But I dont wanna do that. I'd rather play the game for fun. There isnt any loot worth having to "work" for by boxing a group and missing the best parts of the game. However, I did keep the option to box my 2 open as some camps may require a puller... in the wee hours of "there's no one to group with" AM.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  5. Banuvan Augur

It wasn't me. I haven't been in lguk in a few weeks now as I have no reason to go. I'm at the point where there isn't any group content I need for my group.

I did level up my war/mag/clr as a box group. My bard I leveled up as a solo character. It had way more fun on the bard. I will most likely level up my next character as a solo character as well when I start up my fifth box account.
  6. Ironfoot Elder

Ahh, k I guess that guy was a war/cler/bard/ENCH. Funnily similar none the less.

The rest of it is exactly my point... yuo have MORE fun playing one toon.

I spent countless hours running around PoFire tables, and up and down the Katta runway grinding AA that it just killed the game for me on live. It got even worse when that level 85 xpac with the time travel stuff happened because of those goddamn armor gems. Farming that armor for both toons became so tediuse it ruined eq. I moved to eq2 where I never had to box again... and I had a grip of fun in eq2. BECAUSE i wasnt boxing.
  7. Banuvan Augur

Oh I would love to be able to do everything i've done so far as a solo player. It's just not gonna happen with the current state of the game unfortunately. One of the big things I really love about EQ is the camping. Yea, it gets boring and can be a bit depressing when you dont' see a named or the item you are looking for but you get to know people. Many many times i've joked in /ooc with folks and had a good laugh.
  8. Vaclav Augur

5) False, in since beta.
    8) False, in quite early (not 100% sure when, but predating even SEQ existing much less more elaborate stuff like used now)
    9) False, in since early live (pre-Kunark)
    11) Already does it behind the scenes - /log timestamps.
  9. Yara_AB Augur

*cough*
    Haven't you just given the definition of "unattended"?
    Rhiyannon and code-zero like this.
  10. Cheryon New Member

I was trying to get my bards music skills up with the melody command.
    But with the auto afk kicking thing you cannot let the pc run the whole night to get skill ups.
    Meaningsless to say that its absurd that SOE/DBG force players to do that to get skills at
    that point where spells dont fizzle.
  11. squidgod Augur

Use tell windows. Put it in the middle of your screen. Problem solved.

If you still "miss" it, you're unattended botting.
  12. Fallfyres Augur

----------------------

*Looks around...notices individual players VOLUNTEERING to help and interact with the player population ON BEHALF OF AND WITH THE FULL APPROVAL OF the dev staff who hand selected them and has complete overview and purview of the Official Guides actions and activities.

*Sends a goblin skin wrapped outer container stuffed with ice from FFS, in which is a lovingly tradeskiller-handcrafted back pack filled with several dozen Rum Bar Cookies and gallons of organic milk to the Director of the Official Guides to share with all of them.

(*Assumes there may be some additional training required by DBG to bring all the guides up to snuff on current play. *Also pretty sure the same customer service provisions ALL EQ PLAYERS CURRENTLY ENJOY is a route to put in a ticket for those who feel annoyed by 'too many tells' being sent to them. I sincerely hope those sorts of tickets are attended to right away.)

*Grins and dips yummy cookie in ice cold milk and pulls out some parchment.

*Scribbles a quick note and attaches it to the signpost near FFS colonial camp.

*As it flutters in the chilly breeze, a bystander slowly reads it aloud and nods approvingly:
    "Dear Norrath Watchers: Thank you for volunteering to help folks have more fun and less hassle.
    Feel free to send me a tell as often as you'd like. I hear you are following procedure by insuring that folks who meet certain criteria are required to politely respond if and when questioned. I feel just a tad more at ease now, knowing there are other 'sets of eyes' keeping a general watch across these lands."
  13. Queena_Brokenhearts Augur

You're absolutely right, they do need to find a new way.. but not because you're tired of having to stop playing your MMO all alone and have to interact with someone for 5 seconds... they need to find a way so that people that are clearly automating their commands but are simply sitting at/near their PC's when their audio triggers go off are actually being recognized as botters!

And before you freak out... If you're NOT doing what I described above.. why do you have a problem with the concept of finding a way to identify the people clearly in violation of the game policy?
  14. Random_Enchanter Augur

There is a simple solution.

/Guidehelp hello, i'm being harassed by guide <insert name> they wont leave me alone and continually send me annoying tells every <time frame>. I find this unreasonable and disruptive to my play style. I understand that since i am using legit programs to play many char's at once i need to be at the keyboard to do so, However checking to see if i'm actually there or not by sending a tell to one of my chars at random and expecting a response from that char when they have an AFK message stating 'I am multi boxing please direct all tells to <Main char's name here> for timely responses'

Should just about solve it.
    Warpeace and Rhiyannon like this.
  15. Fallfyres Augur

----------------------
    Yup. Unless that Guide who answers that query is acting under the same direction as the other Guide with regard to that player because that player has flown into the 'suspicion' zone with his/her ingame activities. Should cover this issue doubly well!
    Rhiyannon and Yara_AB like this.
  16. Yara_AB Augur

Couldn't the biggest problem just be that other players simply feel griefed enough to keep watching and getting suspicious? One getting contacted regularly really should reconsider their playstyle because appearently it is upsetting other players enough to contact someone about.

I have seen many boxers in the game that I would never even think of about reporting them because they simply "play nice" - although current policy doesn't force them to respect camps or first-engaged rules or to simply not run into camps telling me "i am here now - you can leave because you won't get the kills anyways".

I truly wish DGC would re-enact at least sort of an anti-killstealing-policy. This pretty much would make folks calm down maybe.
    MamaBear, Rhiyannon and Fallfyres like this.
  17. Nolrog Augur

Are the guides randomly checking people who have not done anything in a certain amount of time or are they responding to people reporting you as AFK?
    Rhiyannon and Fallfyres like this.
  18. Yara_AB Augur

add to that: "... or possibly botting"
    Rhiyannon and Fallfyres like this.
  19. Tarrin Augur

If only there were ways to set up audio triggers letting you know exactly when each box received a tell in bright yellow letters on your screen. (HI GINA!). Couple this with tell windows. You have ways to make sure you don't miss a tell. Use them.

How else do you seriously expect them to know if a person is AFK botting or legit at their PC? I would love to hear your cheap alternative solutions.
    Yara_AB likes this.
  20. Reece Lorekeeper

What is GINA? Is this approved software? Not really sure what it does.

If they can't find a better way to find out if people are AFK or botting they have a bigger issue on their hands. By the way, if people are botting, they likely are sitting at their computer while doing it so it kind of defeats the purpose of sending them a tell anyways.