Combine Power Shard drop rate

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gr8fuldave, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Gr8fuldave Augur

I spent about 6 hours in Degmar yesterday trying to farm Power sources for my casters, and was camping the Enraged Spectral Reveler and Frantic Smith. I killed 15 named in that time period and did not have a single PS drop. Am I extremely unlucky or is there something I should know about increasing my odds to get one?

Thanks!
  2. Caixaa Elder

try to bring a gnome or a ranger for the sacrifice...

Now being serious... I've spent plenty hours there, did hunter achievement for me and some friends and got only 1 powersource to drop, so I am using it only in raids and at the start of the event to make it last longer
  3. Shiea Augur

Both of you guys must have just had bad luck, cause I've seen a PLETHORA of those things from that zone.
    Axxius likes this.
  4. sifonin Augur

I would second shiea's post, i spent a few hours a few days in a row and now have 3 of these bad boys bagged . Just keep at it and keep killing the namers and they will come in heaps eventually. I don't think they are an extremely rare drop, they just have been rare for you (the op) and one can never beat the RNG, the numbers are either with you or against you. Best of luck and keep at it these power sources are just money,
  5. ImSorryButIHadTo Lorekeeper

Random. Number. Generator.

I've seen higher than OP's drop rate. I've seen lower than OP's drop rate. It happens.
  6. Axxius Augur

For some reason that escapes me, there are never any posts crying about extremely good luck. Let me fill that gap.

When I discovered that I had only 1 Combine Power Shard remaining in my bags the other week, I went to Degmar and spent 1 hr camping Horthin Blackbook and Enraged Spectral Reveler. In that 1 hr I got 4 named spawns that dropped 3 Combine Power Shards between them. Am I extremely lucky, or is there something I should know about decreasing my odds of getting one?

You're welcome!
    sifonin and Brohg like this.
  7. Ferry-Tunare Augur

Obviously Triton has a pocket GM :)
  8. Hostile Meat Wizard Elder

My group has spent probably close-to equal time in Degmar and Combine Dredge.

During that time the tank has gotten 14 Geomantic Steelstones and I've gotten 5 Combine Power Shards. RNG or not, they're certainly rarer than the other PS in my own experience.
  9. Axxius Augur

But not because of the drop rate. I'm pretty sure the drop rate is the same on all TDS power sources.

Combine PS is more rare because:
    1. Degmar has the longest respawn time of any TDS zone (18 minutes). Dredge respawns 30% faster.
    2. Degmar has the fewest named of any T3 zone (only 5 named in the regular zone). Dredge has 9.
    That's not even taking into account that to spawn a named or its ph in Dredge, you only need to kill 5 trash mobs (and /taskquit if it's a ph). #SpoilerAlert
    Tyrolias likes this.
  10. Iila Augur

Is that also taking into account that every moment spent in Degmar feels like an eternity of pain?
    roguerunner likes this.
  11. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Honestly I didn't hate the place. It's still better than caverns!
  12. Axxius Augur

It felt that way on the 1st day of TDS. But after learning the zone and the mobs in it, it's one of my favorite places now. I go there quite often to farm the power sources. It looks much scarier than it actually is, especially after you figure out the aggro and pathing. :p