Silence of the Devs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Beggly, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Elricvonclief Augur

The fact that communication outside of these forums is encouraged/required for bugs, boggles me... :(
    Silv and Warpeace like this.
  2. Songsa Augur

What about the change to melee DPS AE skills? we got a thread started by Elidroth 1 year ago https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/...rserker-your-feedback-input-is-needed.211901/ (tomorrow we can all celebrate the 1 year of the thread yeahhh!!) and we have yet to see something done or even an answer from any devs in 2015 despite multiple pm and questions in the thread. Is it still in the plans? do you plan to fix melee with another method? do you plan to reduce boss AC in this expansion or try to have a better balance melee vs casters dps in the upcoming campaign? thx.
    Brogett and Sancus like this.
  3. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

While I do feel that Daybreak Community Issue Tracker should be an in-house project instead of third party, the fact that Daybreak actually is using it is a big step in the right direction.

While it is "unofficial", it is an official unofficial, in that Daybreak is using it, even if they don't want to take responsibility for it.

So there really aren't any real complaints to make about it (at this time), because it is there and Daybreak is using it. Now the fact that it isn't in-house means it could vanish tomorrow if the people hosting it stop doing so, but then again, we've had Daybreak (well, SOE at the time) have things vanish overnight as well (forums, EQ Players, etc.).

It is being used by Daybreak and finally gives us a way to have bugs and suggestions out there and persistent. This is something that has been asked for for over a decade by players (including myself) and now we finally have it. Let's be happy it is there and use it and see how things go. So far JChan and Jonathan Caraker are both working on issues and commenting there. This is good.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

While I agree regarding the patches those have been small incremental changes. At least by appearance the things being done for TLP seem to be BIG changes requiring a LOT of effort. This may only be appearance and not factual but that is how it looks. Much like Holly's comment about casuals and naggy it MAY just be optics but they aren't good optics.

We, your players, are still kids at heart.... for good or bad and right now the new baby has been brought home and we are feeling left out. Whether we deserve that or not we need to feel we aren't being abandoned.. take us out for ice cream or something :). Yeah and it sucks that I as a player can get away with that analogy and you would be crucified if you used it. :).

It doesn't help that many players are worried about EQ and are facing an unknown in the upcoming campaign. People are on edge. Almost anything is going to bother then.

I do appreciate you posting and pointing out the patches though. I did consider them before my post but it's fair of you to bring them up as they do show work being done on the regular servers.

If I was Daybreak I would also consider allowing free transfers from TLP servers to the regular servers. People are attached to their characters and letting them move to the regular servers if they wished would be great for those who only came back to EQ for the TLP but might want to try the regular servers. It would also give the regular servers some hope of getting something out of TLP. Just a thought. I know there may be issues with some old world items available on TLP that aren't on the regular servers but I am sure that could be worked out.
  5. Prathun Developer

I see. It sounds like you're claiming that there's an archetype imbalance and the team should make adjustments to correct it either through sweeping changes to content or PC abilities. Regardless of the validity or severity of this concern, it's not a bug, in any sense of the term as a game company would use it. I do need to mention, and this is not being dismissive, re-evaluating the balance of melee versus content compared to casters versus content is multiple orders of magnitude more complex and perilous (from the standpoints of wide-reaching impact, opportunity for new errors, and the need for focused community involvement) than fixing an AA that doesn't work as intended, changing out annoying NPC audio, or a broken dialogue in the Karanas. As most of our effort is concentrated on creating the campaign, we are not re-balancing classes right now, though beta testing for an expansion/campaign is often a good opportunity for us to evaluate player power versus content and make adjustments, and that's coming soonish(tm).
  6. Naugrin Augur

Sorry we are in design lock!
  7. Mayfaire Augur

Haha, this made me laugh. :D Well said!
    Grove, Yinla and PrathunEQ like this.
  8. Behelit Augur

You do realize though by putting it off until beta there's a good chance there won't be much of a melee population left to rebalance? Hyperbole aside, I'll be shocked if there's even 10 Berserker mains in the next beta.
    Fenudir and Sancus like this.
  9. Brudal Augur

I won't be one of the 10.
    Fenudir, Sancus and Silv like this.
  10. Garshok Augur

Understand the frustration/boggling of people about going to a 3rd party site to access the tracker.And I've never worked for SOE of DBG, so I don't pretend to any special insight.

That having been said, I have worked a bit in program management, and integrating a 3rd party program into an existing website may not be as clean-cut and easy as one may think.

Yes it is a 3rd party website. Yes, it is a stove-piped system.

Does it get the job done?

It's pretty clear that we aren't going to get the 'perfect' from EQ now. Let's just focus on whether it is good enough for things like this. At the very least it makes it pretty easy for others to add information on bugs.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Fanra like this.
  11. Sancus Augur

Maybe making sweeping changes to raid boss mitigation was complex and perilous and maybe, just maybe, therefore should never have been done? If you don't have the time/resources to balance classes, wouldn't something closer to the CotF AC values have made a tad more sense?
    Brogett, Songsa, Behelit and 3 others like this.
  12. sojero One hit wonder

One of the biggest issues that I see with this is you didn't answer and actually skirted around the issue that there is a thread from a Dev about 3 abilities that has sat for a very long time with no correspondence. We (the community) were engaged about this, and then it was dropped without any more communication from the Dev crew. This leaves those 3 classes with a huge elephant hanging over them. This is an issue with communications more than anything.

The class balance thing is something different all together, but is still tied into those 3 abilities. I would love during beta for the Dev crew to come out to the community and try to fix balancing, I think if there is a small campain that would help retain members. More than anything it cannot be brought up then dropped on a whim, there needs to be some follow through, and openness with your players. The crew promised that and we have not seem much of it.
  13. Slasher Augur

Ya right man. We posted about the same issues last beta mob AC too high caster vs melee unbalanced you and every other dev ignored it. You raised mob AC in tds to a higher level which nerfed all melee dps and left casters where they were. Instead of nerfing class abilities you just increased mob AC so melee dps went down. It was intentional you know it and we know it. After doing this you have straight IGNORED all feedback on the issue for the last 7 months.

How to get people to stop playing melee classes.

1. Make all raids easier on casters.
    2. Increase AC on all npcs
    3. Ignore all feedback on the issue.
  14. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Post of the month.

Arx mechanics and mob values seem pretty different from CotF. If there wasn't staffing to do changes right, why were they done?

As a knight and a melee it's pretty painful place to raid.
    Elricvonclief, Xeladom, Silv and 2 others like this.
  15. Dre. Altoholic

Not so much.

Non-AE versions of these abilities, which are identical in duration/refresh and shared timer with the AE abilities, would be a less-complicated bone to throw in the meantime.
  16. Songsa Augur

Firstable thx for the answer , we got one finally...
    Then i'm not alone to say there is an archetype imbalance, actually every raiders can see it every raids in last expansion and this has been reported numerous times since this expansion is out even from casters.
    I also wanted to say that your post looks like you think "I"want a change of the melee skills, its just wrong, like i said the thread was started by Elidroth one year ago and if you read his post youll see that there is actually a bug that cause the duration of the abilities to last longer than intended. So you can put it in this category if it makes things go at the top of the pile quicker.
    Ignoring any problem of balance the game has for one complete year and focus only on bug fixes is not a good idea if you want people to continue to play in my opinion.
  17. Fenudir Augur

As will I - though I suspect they'll be hard pressed to get 10 of us.
  18. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

I agree. It should have been a DGB site, but it isnt. Do I wish it was a faster process? Of course.

At first I was a huge skeptic, I thought here we go AGAIN, where there will be a request for feedback with little to no action. I decided to give it a month, and as part of that month, I would volunteer to assist moderate, (which I did), and I try to stop in every day and do my part to help make things better. If more people voted, those issues DO seem to get attention, and help prioritize. There's been some minor issues, there's been some very quick straightforward things corrected, there's been some lingering issues, the whole gamut, but if we can even start to dent the list, and get some of them resolved, then its a step forward. I know there are a couple of us who have also been trying to improve the communication back and forth between here and the forums to try to help note things of interest. It gobsmacks me on occasion some of the new issues that come in - spells with wrong descriptions, various things like that.

Personally, I've since decided that since it has gotten some loving from DBG staff, I'll be continuing on in that role because even if we only get a couple items in per patch, thats still forward motion. So far two patches in a row there have been multiple resolution/fixes being slotted in and thats a good start.
    Silv, Fanra and Khat_Nip like this.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not that I am THE voice of reason but I agree wholeheartedly. Play a lot of classes and class balancing is never ever going to be perfect and I would rather see the emphasis on content right now. We could be rebalancing things from now till the cows come home and it wouldn't ever satisfy everyone.

Plus I don't think we are going to have the dev resources for rebalancing classes and creating content.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not sure why its boggling you can't do what the tracker does in the forums. And with it issue can be recorded and tracked without using a lot of Daybreak resources to do it. I would however feel more comfortable if Daybreak controlled the tracker itself.