Does working 50+ hours a week make me a casual?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Lumiens, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Lumiens Augur

So does getting an engineering degree and working full time for the past 10 years mean I'm too inept to slay the same dragons that I used to slay while getting said engineering degree?
  2. Gregolo Augur

I play maybe 5-6 hours a week and I manage to slay these same dragons. Whats your problem?
  3. Laeinye Lorekeeper

Yes, you are a disgusting casual and you do not deserve to slay dragons.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  4. MBear Augur

You tell us?

Casual -
    Adj: not regular or permanent, in particular
    Noun: a person who does something irregularly
  5. Warlorf Augur

I work 60+ hours a week ... Then get the next one off ... Lol love my job
    Fallfyres likes this.
  6. thats_street New Member

How do you know someone's an engineer? They'll tell you.

Congratulations on mentioning that your profession twice in one sentence.
  7. Alexanders Augur

Working, schooling, family the beach whatever else you may do X hours a week isn't what makes you casual.

The only thing that determines if your casual or not is how many hours per day/week you are playing Everquest. It has nothing to do with your life and what you do or don't do.

For example if I play 12 hours on Saturday some would say that's hardcore and a huge amount of time. Yet if that is the only day a week I play then would I not be casual even though that one session may not seem casual?

I'm not knocking you cause you don't have the time to play like you did back in your dragon slaying days. But there are some (myself not included) that still play this game many hours a day every day. That's just how it is and that's ok.
  8. Gregolo Augur

What determines if you're casual or not, is how seriously you take this hobby. It's not the amount of hours you invest.

Take me, I take this hobby pretty seriously and I'm one of the top 3 geared Shaman on the server. I play maybe 6 hours a week (8 tops) and I pull it off. I'm not casual.

Typically if you take it less seriously, you'll play less. You'll also be less willing to organize yourself, congeal with a larger group of people to accomplish goals, etc...

So yes, casual's shouldn't see the top raid targets.
    Chanaluss likes this.
  9. MBear Augur

It really is more about how serious you take the game and plan and strategize than how many hours you play. You can sit for 20 hours a week in EC just reading chat and you can still be casual or you can do what Gregolo says he does and not be casual.
  10. Gregolo Augur

Exactly, and I think that's the point people are confusing. People on this forum really like to confuse product with byproduct.
  11. Porygon Augur

Because reading books and getting a degree directly translates to you being good at video games?

Spoiler alert, it doesn't.
  12. Farscry New Member

ITT: Video game nerds argue over who's the nerdiest nerd of the nerds.

Spoiler: We're all nerds, so it doesn't really matter. ;)
    Hexaholic likes this.
  13. superman Augur

5 or 6 hours a week and your top geared shaman unless you put in some serious playtime in the beginning of the server I call horse crap, Screenshot your /played and prove it
    Valhallon likes this.
  14. Porygon Augur

All the good shaman gear is sellable, and you can easily log in to loot a hate item or 2.

Being the best geared shaman doesn't mean you play alot.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  15. Polekn Augur

As long as you do not want to p***s***, train others, get trained in return and thoroughly enjoy it all you are casual. Does not matter how many hours you play. I play 20+ hours per week, have a few 50 characters and I am casual.
    Zurd and Rhiyannon like this.
  16. Gregolo Augur

That's exactly what I did. I powered to 50 in about 12 days and have been chillaxing ever since.
  17. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I don't know what to tell you. I worked 53 hours last week (six days, 6 - 10 hour shifts). From the Monday to Saturday I killed Vox on the 22nd, Naggy and Inny on the 24th, and Cazic on the 27th. I had Sunday the 28th off, so I'm not sure if it counts, but I cleared islands 2 - 6 of Sky with a pickup raid and that night did the Noble cycle.

I mean I am really not sure what to tell you.
  18. Ferry-Tunare Augur

Come to the live servers where you can raid all current content 1 night a week. Most of us are casuals these days.
  19. Shmef Augur

filthy casual, no nagafen for you!
    Zurd and Rhiyannon like this.
  20. Endtimes Elder

Yes it does, the official word is that you shouldnt be allowed to fight Nagafen because you are a casual. You will restrict your gameplay to the casual areas and you will like it
    Derthe, Zurd and Rhiyannon like this.