Wizard vs Magician?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Computertrucker, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Computertrucker New Member

Hello everyone. I just re started my account, rage fire the reason like so many others it appears. I haven't played since omens of war and even though I still have my old level 65 paladin, I want to start fresh, also I wanted to play a caster. The problem is I can't decide, wizard or magician. Back in the day i always kinda wanted to play a magician, however the utility of ports and having access to them is also very appealing. I have no idea where these 2 classes stand vs one another in modern EQ.

So I have a few questions that I bring to you all to maybe help me make a more educated decision.

1. DPS, which one does more? I realize wizards were the undisputed masters of burst dps. But does it add up to the constant damage tang a magician can put out?

2. Which class is going to be more sought after for groups?

3. Im not a big time solo guy but sometimes it's nice to have that option. Which one is better at this?

4. Raids. Which class is more preferred?

I have a friend that is returning with me. He used to play a cleric back in the day, we were inseperable we actually became friends on EQ and are still friends to this day. Which is pretty amazing and a feat no other game afterwards has been able to replicate.

So I will be duoing some with a necro. Which leads me to my final question.

5. Which would make better duo partner with a necro?

Thank you all for any that may take time to help a returning player out. I realize that the progression server is a long way away from modern EQ... But all of these questions are still important. As if it's not. Just rose colored glasses we are looking bsck thru. I plan to stay for a long while.
  2. moogs Augur

In the most simple terms

1. Wizard
    2. Wizard
    3. Magician
    4. Wizard
    5. Magician

Welcome back.
    Axxius and Sancus like this.
  3. Cicelee Augur

Magicians are able to solo content that summons much better than wizards. Magicians are able to molo named better than wizards.

Wizards are better at everything else. And if you ever want to be a raider, wizard is the current way to go.
    sifonin and Sancus like this.
  4. Enkel Augur

?
    Sancus likes this.
  5. moogs Augur

Are you confused by something Cicelee said? That's pretty much spot on.
  6. Sancus Augur

Wizards are better at everything else

unless you're Enkel.
    Iila likes this.
  7. Zalamyr Augur

To each his own I suppose, but I wouldn't consider live performance when choosing a Ragefire toon. It'll be around 6 years minimum (if my napkin math is close) before they get to the point live is now, assuming the game is still kicking and the server doesn't get stuck due to lack of players.

On Ragefire for now (obviously it will change as more expansions launch) it's:
    1: Mage
    2: Mage
    3: Mage
    4: Mage
    5: Mage

On live at 105 it's (in my opinion):
    1.Wizard
    2.Wizard overall, but mages are also good and are a great start to a caster only pet tank group.
    3.Mage
    4.Wizard
    5.Mage, double pet tank duos are really strong. Wizard/necro is no slouch either, but nowhere near as safe while fighting tougher content.
  8. Ferry-Tunare Augur

Ragefire magician
    Live Solo magician
    Live Raid wizard
    Live group your choice
  9. Computertrucker New Member

Thank you all for taking the time to help a returning player... Think I'm going with the wizard.
    Ferry-Tunare, moogs and code-zero like this.
  10. Enkel Augur

I guess some people's opinion in this community about raid viability (and on this token, dps) boggle my mind.
  11. Sancus Augur

Maybe your DPS boggles some people's minds? :p
  12. Enkel Augur

Yeah, they wonder why I only cast Mod Rods for our paladins.
    Sancus likes this.
  13. Iila Augur

I think you cast a mod rod for me once.
    Sancus and Enkel like this.
  14. Leex Pewpewer

Ohhh! I see how it is Sancus!

Seriously though unless a Wizard is going 100% full bore the entire raid..Mages have a chance. Good ones anyway ;).
    Sancus likes this.
  15. Computertrucker New Member

I was looking over at the zam spell list. Wizards spell output damage wise only seems to be about 10- 15 % higher.... Is the pet that weak at the higher levels for magicians?
  16. Sancus Augur

I completely agree, the margin is small enough that player skill trumps all. Still pretty sure I'd win WK 2 :p.

With AAs and ADPS and such... it's much more complicated than that. The pet is a much lower portion of a Mages' DPS than on the TLP servers, though.
  17. Brohg Augur

Lots of moving pieces, Computertrucker. The base spell stats aren't as helpful in figuring things out as maybe they should be.
  18. dalead Elder

Mage all day every day, but that's just me. I'm biased. My mage is my raid char.
  19. Reht The Dude abides...

This is spot on for the Ragefire server, at least for current content and the next couple of expansions, the pet damage increases will eventually even out.
  20. Cicelee Augur

Enkel likes to debate me. I am used to it.

I am not short changing raid magician DPS. I am saying that wizards generally will do more than magicians on the majority of current and previous expansion events.

I am happy where the class is at. I enjoy my magician. To each their own.
    Yimin likes this.