Can't communicate in-game. Why play?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Breeziyo, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Breeziyo New Member

Who honestly thought that a system like this was a good idea? "Here, let's revoke all of their chat privileges and not even notify them that they're marked as spam, leaving them to wonder why everyone they try to talk to is completely ignoring them. Now let's allow other players to wield this kind of power by allowing them to mark people as spam themselves. This makes sense in a game so heavily cemented in party-based gameplay."

This may not be an issue for people who haven't run into it, but it has killed all motivation for me to play since I've been marked as spam days ago. I haven't been able to group or spend any of the platinum I've been farming; my progress has completely halted. Before you comment: Yes, I've petitioned. The only responses I've gotten are automated ones that have absolutely nothing to do with my problem.
    Motherlee likes this.
  2. Trellium Elder

And yet you don't say what level you are, nor what server.

If you are on the progression servers then you are prone to flagging as spam. The reason is that you send too many chat messages at a low level. YOU look like spam.

This system has worked wonderfully for years now. Spammers are an irritation which makes everyone else want to quit. So, yes the system works fine. Spammers log in new characters and start spamming chat. This is how they get caught.

They already said several times they have a fix coming for this issue, due in next weeks patch. They also reduced the chance of it happening already, but it's still something that needs fixing.

But, not so much of an issue to put up with your rant. If I have to decide between tolerating endless spammers and you being inconvenienced for a week, gosh I just don't know which way I would go. I guess I would wave you goodbye.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I suspect there is more to it then this and I don't think it is about people posting too much. Too many people have complained for that to be the only answer.
  4. Trellium Elder

Ah. Well if it is conspiracy theory you are looking for I will leave to resolve this on your own.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  5. Saxet Nitsua New Member

I have ran across this same problem with many players in the game. All of them were flagged as spam and could not chat in game. Messages and tells they sent were all showing as [SPAM] on the screen.

I do not like the remarks you had received in the forums regarding this, it was uncalled for. But I am here to help you resolve this with the least amount of stress on you.

As for the reason you are flagged as spam is unknown to me, I am not an employee of Daybreak (although I wish I was) but I am eager and willing to always help a fellow gamer. Here are some reasons I know I have seen in the game, and one in particular has always popped up as being the prime reason.

Here are just a few.

(1)... A game glitch in the server caused a flagging, this also can cause other errors that may or may not appear yet or take time to appear.

(2)... You were flagged for excessive OOC or Shout messages, Usually it is from some ignorant user just pissed off at how many OOC's happen all the time or shouts being overly annoying.

But this one is my favorite lame excuse to flag someone for spam and it seems to be the most popular out there...

(3)... This is a result of some people just being flat rude and mean with nothing else to do but ruin someones game and cause grief and problems for them.

Ok, as to fix this, you will need to petition, this may be difficult in the game due to being flagged as spam, but you can try, if it does not work you will need do it in the web site. When you petition, you will need to let them know you may have been a victim of random spamming flag for no reason. If you know you have done nothing to warrant the flag for spam, then they will be happy to help remove this. They will also let you know if they are able to find out the reason why you were flagged spam if it is available. Hope this helps. I know how this can be frustrating for you.
    Saxet
  6. Aghinem Augur

Being marked as spam has no effect on the /petition command. Its an anomaly that occurs at times and all you have to do is contact CSR through a ticket. They will fix your problem normally within 48 hours.
  7. JChan Developer

A group of players cannot directly trigger the auto-SPAM flagging of a particular person. The "report as spam" reports the message as a spammy message and that is taken into account in the learning algorithm. A little more information here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/everquest/c...k_horrible_service_0_customer_support/crzvajx
  8. Breeziyo New Member

Man I guess being level 41 on a server that has a max level of 50 is a low level. I certainly am spamming by sending a message to auction chat about wanting to buy a Krono every once in a while. Lord almighty have I sinned! Smite me oh mighty smiter!

As I said: Even if it's not an issue that affects you, it's still an issue and a very big one when it comes to the progression servers. This patch can't come soon enough; people there rely on playing with other actual people over AI.

"If the system does believe you’re spamming, you’ll receive a timeout from chat. This usually lasts about 24-hours." Is this working correctly at the moment? It's been over twenty-four hours for me at this point since I've been most recently flagged as spam and after testing it I got a message from someone saying I was flagged.

Also, is mentioning Krono just a huge red flag for the system? Both times I've been hit with it have been right after trying to get gametime for myself / sell Krono I traded items for.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Something doesn't seem right here because all the spam issues are happening only on the TLP servers. Its much much more rare on the Live servers. And if this was software doing all this from the reports of people barely saying anything and getting marked as spam either the software is out of control overly sensitive or their is more to this then just the software.

The word krono should not be an issue. People are buying and selling them in chat on the regular servers all the time and don't get marked as spam. Maybe they turned the spam filter setting way up for just the TLP servers but if that is not the case there has to be more to this then just a sensitive spam filter in my opinion.
  10. cries4hardcore New Member

I get it man... I have been flagged sicne at least Saturday. Each time they say its fixed it aint. Really a bummer. Ignore the people who say happy to have you leave If it means they don't deal with spammers. they are pricks. I am sure there is a way for a spam system to be in place without crippling our gameplay.
    Really wish this was handled already... I miss being able to participate in the community in any way shape or form
  11. cries4hardcore New Member

wait wait wait.... they cant even fix it though. That's by far the worst part. After waiting days for your petition to get answered, they say that you have been unflagged only to find out that you are still in fact flagged as spam.. Whatever the issue is its a lot worse than just the initial flagging. And it is kind of infuriating to be paying for this kind of service. I get why everyone else who is dealing with this is so mad. One or two days of not being able to communicate fine.
    But four going on five days? Its not like daybreak is going to credit us with the play time. So we are effectively paying them to not be able to play because god knows if everquest is anything its a social game.. Maybe not on normal live servers with mercs and stuff but on TLP not being able to communicate is basically like not being able to play.

Memry
    44 enchanter
    Lockjaw
  12. JChan Developer

It's not in the patch notes but there is currently an "accumulation" issue that auto flags people as spammers based off their older past spam. The fix for this will be in tomorrow's update.
  13. cries4hardcore New Member

So once the update happens am I going to have to wait for a new petition to have them unflag me yet again? hahahaha this is soooooooo lame its not even funny. So what got me flagged as spam? was it when I was looking for a group and selling an item in different channels but at the same time???
    omg omg what a spammer...
    stupid. system. is. flawed... wonder how many subs are gonna be lost cuz of this drama.
  14. Gythlen Augur

The problem with this, is people who are completely new, are being flagged as SPAM. Hence, no backlog to even look at.

I'd rather do without this filter and deal with RMT sellers one at a time than see so many people get flagged for asking a question, or trying to sell something normally.
  15. Crabcakes Journeyman

Probably not many. It's a technical snafu that's getting fixed tomorrow, and reasonable people know that in 2 months they'll forget it even caused them a headache. Also, lrn2grammarz.