I won't be renewing my sub

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Owndar, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owndar Elder

Title says it all. I was promised an EQ classic experience and wasn't given it. The current state of Ragefire would have NEVER happened on the original servers. The servers are overpopulated and understaffed. After reading the response to the 97 page thread about potential instanced raids it seems you aren't the least bit interested in fixing them problems. Goodbye.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  2. Recnarp Augur

No one promised you a classic experience. TLP is a trip down memory lane with modern EQ mechanics. Enjoy it for what it is.
    Nickatropolis and Oldschool like this.
  3. Gregolo Augur

I have no idea why but I frigging love your sig.
    Oldschool likes this.
  4. Ultrazen Augur

Won't somebody please think of the children?!?!?!?!?
  5. Machen New Member

Actually, sadly, they did seem to promise a classic experience in some of the advertising that was put out. Yet another mistake on Daybreak's part.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  6. Gregolo Augur

links?
  7. Oldschool Elder

NO, I don't want to and you can't make me. Neener, neener, neener! :);)o_O:D
  8. Machen New Member

Wildwand and Fallfyres like this.
  9. Necromonious Augur

It's hard to say what people will do when their back is to the wall. If ragefire's raid scene becomes a disaster, I'm guessing there's a group of people that will reroll on LJ, rather than quit completely (not that hard to get to lv 50 on TLP twice before Kunark). Which would start to balance out the load a bit, until LJ eventually had the same issue
  10. Gregolo Augur

I don't see anything in there that even remotely comes close to anything a normal person would call a promise. But that's me.
  11. Machen New Member

Really? "Game like it's 1999" doesn't at least strongly imply a server that is just like it was in 1999?
    Wildwand and Fallfyres like this.
  12. Crabcakes Journeyman

It absolutely does. They're trying to sell the product based on the experience players had in 1999. Is it a "promise"? No. Should we be shocked that advertising can be misleading? No. Does the OP have a valid point? I think they do. They're choosing to use both exit (taking $ and running) and voice (voicing complaint on a public forum) to express their dissatisfaction with Daybreak.

Personally, I think despite Daybreak's best intentions, it's almost impossible to have a server like it was "1999".
  13. Mardy Augur

Your post is contradictory. First you dog on Daybreak for not giving you a pure, genuine, classic experience. Then you dog on them for not wanting to (at least for now) give you instanced raids. Since when is instanced raids anything remotely to classic experience? And let's be honest here, how many of you actually got to loot a cloak of flames during classic? Or rather how many of you actually even raided back during classic? My guess is not many. I know I joined a pickup raid once for Vox, but I didn't get to see or touch Naggy until Kunark. I didn't even join a raid guild until Velious.

So it's ironic that you want a genuine classic experience, yet you want instanced raids. It shows you they are damned if they do, damned if they don't. It's impossible to please everybody. I think Daybreak did the best they could, given their reduced resources. They've gone above and beyond, they did more for us this time than the last round of progression servers.

If you happen to have come back expecting a pure, genuine classic experience, with item drops on corpses, hell levels, camp 12 hours for a named, etc.. then all I can say is it's your own fault. They've explained everything they were doing for Ragefire ahead of time, they said what they were thinking about doing, and they kept working up magic during the first week when things were chaotic. There were no hidden things, they never said you were coming back to old freeport, they never said they were going to revert orcs in gfay back to originals. Everything was known well ahead of the time what the servers were going to be about, what the rulesets were, and what to expect.

Personally I wish they would consider instanced raids. I understand why they may not want to, but I think they will eventually do it. Just that right now they're spending resources on EQ2 now (EQ2's coming out with their progression servers too), as well as working overtime on EQ's upcoming campaign. Code resources (which is what instanced raids will require) will likely not be available until a bit later once they're done what they're now working on. Obviously if you aren't happy, you should by all means unsubscribe. But let's not make this into something Daybreak did or didn't do. They didn't lie about anything, they in fact did more than most of us expected them to do, and they got Ragefire launched sooner than we all expected. I for one am happy for it, I've had a great time on Ragefire and judging by the amount of players still playing 3 weeks into this server, I think majority are also having a good time.
    Nickatropolis and Jent like this.
  14. Zalamyr Augur

I'm confused as to how people can complain about not being delivered a classic EQ experience and also wanting instanced raids in the same breath, unless I'm misunderstanding what's being said here. Lack of raid mob availability is probably one of the only things on the server that actually is pretty accurate to classic.
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  15. Ultrazen Augur

There is no disconnect actually. In 1999 "instancing" was provided by server choice and caps. We have at least double the population on these servers than were on live in 1999, so a modern solution is warranted.

As far as what was promised, that video most certainly does imply the game as it was in 1999, that's the entire thrust of it. I think you could easily view it as bait and switch, but there are certain realities to the situation.

Look, I think DBG is actually doing their best to try and provide people with the best experience they can. I think in many ways they are between a rock and a hard place. They have a limited staff (through no fault of their own), and seem like they are actually passionate about the game. I'm sure there are quite a few things they would do if they had the resources.

I'm actually sorry to see you go, I'm sorry to see anyone go. I think those of us that love EQ are pretty lucky this thing is still even around. I'm playing now for one last hurrah, and a trip down memory lane before the whole thing gets put out to pasture. I'll be incredibly sad when it does go away. Warts and all, it's still everquest, and there will never be anything exactly like it.

Sure, there are frustrations etc, but I'm still able to find that old school feeling once in a while. I've been in some great groups lately, and it has felt very much like classic. As in most things in life, try to find what's good about an experience, enjoy it, then move on.
  16. RainbowTest Augur

Then this really is just a money grab. Guys this was the best method to test the new server setup that all the live servers will be sitting on after the next mass server merger to help reduce costs for this game. They had no intention of actually managing this round of progression they only intended on testing the new hardware out. They are just enjoying the krono sales too much.

I personally have caved and am now exploiting and scoring kronos left and right on Lockjaw so I guess I'm a hypocrite. I have absolutely 0 desire to raid or participate in content I'm just here to farm krono's so I can play the real game on the other servers.
  17. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Ya I'd never pay to play this anymore. Thankfully I just got a ton of kronos. Even then after another 30 days something tells me the idea of a ton of people that are toxic + close quarters is going to turn ugly.
  18. vardune Augur

Later masterbater.
  19. Porygon Augur

I'll create a wizard in your absence to port my 6 chars around. Do you have a preference for his name. I want you to be remembered while I'm fulfilling your 15 a month.
  20. Tennas Journeyman

Back in 1999, people actually thought before they spoke! This senseless dribble ain't classic! Goodbye indeed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.