Why are you playing here?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Rothj Augur

So, what prompted this post is because honestly I know exactly why I came back to play on a classic eq server: I played other mmos and none of them could scratch the itch that I felt from everquest. Nothing really gave me that sense of wonder , the feeling, the sense of adventure and social atmosphere, the feeling of not knowing what could be out there, the feeling of realness and not being hand held. The old content is just fun to experience and play through, it's interesting art and an immersive world.

So I just have to know, why are all the people who think you can never get back the experience you had in 1999, or people who WANT eq to be more like wow, why are you playing here? What is the point? There is so many mmos out there that do exactly what you're describing... are you just afraid to do something different or what? Everquest is great because it's everquest, I don't get why people come back here to play who say that it needs to be different or that the old content was garbage or w/e? If all the new mmos/new content was so much better no one would play old servers like this. Why not just accept that the reason people are playing an outdated game is because its FUN and a good EXPERIENCE how it is and it doesn't need to be changed?
  2. Ceffener Augur

In 99 how long did it take to get max level. How many people did it take to down a raid boss? This server is nothing like 99. If your around its because you like something that resembles an experience of what you had in 99.

Just because something worked one way in 99 doesn't mean people wouldn't have liked it another way. No one is wrong for wanting to experience the game how they want. The developers may not care about what they want...but telling them to just go play another game isn't the right attitude. Many people want differnt things.
    Rontapazu likes this.
  3. Gimple Elder

You never answered the OP's question, you just attacked them.
  4. Ceffener Augur

If saying that people have many differnt wants is an attack then yes I did. I actually did answer by saying..If your around its because you like something that resembles an experience of what you had in 99. That is the why I am around.
  5. Gimple Elder

I am playing on a TLP server because I was under the impression that was going to be as close as DBG could get EQ back to what it was in 1999. Like the promo they put out implies.

As far as the "game" goes, I think they delivered their promise as best they could when the servers first unlocked. Then some changes happened, whatever the reasons(don't matter really), it strayed a little farther away, but is still much closer than what it is on the "normal" servers.

It's the player base that is engaging on the new TLP servers that are different. They play different. They act different. They chat different. THAT...more than anything, is what has made the TLP servers WAY more different than it was back in 1999...in my opinion.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  6. Gimple Elder

Thank you for answering.
  7. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

because city of heroes is dead and i wouldnt mind playing chana, tadarii, and garohad again without worrying about povar drama.
  8. beyrak Augur

I am here because I want to re-experience ALL of EQ's content in a competitive way, not just the first few expacs.
    Praxxos likes this.
  9. Gandwer New Member

Because I basically stopped playing after LDoN. i came back very recently, and there's like, fifteen expansions. Stuff i've never seen that is completely obsolete, and way over my head.

TLP seemed like a good way to get back in on the ground floor
    Katmandu26 and Praxxos like this.
  10. Jadefox Augur

I'm here because I started shortly before Luclin. I wanted to see (in a limited form) what I had missed.
    --Time-travelling Jade
  11. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

What got me started? My main is over on the FV server. But, lately, I've been getting tired of all the drama that's been happening over there. I wanted a fresh start.
  12. Praxxos Journeyman

I stopped playing sometime after OoW. The expansions after that just rushed past me. Now im back in the "old time", maybe i can relive the expansions, hopefully all of them. I started again with 2 friends. Its nice to play EQ together, meet new people and so on. The social factor is a high one for me and i love how EQ forces people to group up. I hope they never add mercs again. People will solo and divide again...
    Fallfyres likes this.
  13. Aaramis Augur

Everyone came back for one reason or another, whether it was to finally get a chance to raid Naggy / Vox, or to try a new class from the start without defiant + mercs, or to explore zones they had missed previously, or even to experience the EC tunnel once again.

For me, it was the chance to experience a group again. On live, it's now a solo grind from 1-70+ with your merc. Zones are very quiet.
    The irony, of course, is that a good chunk of people clearly came back to solo up their mage box teams. Go figure :p
  14. Anduri New Member

Well clearly it's not the graphics.

It's because:

a) No other MMO that I have played has simply made a world, put things in it and then said just go for it. Then backed it up with a meaningful reason not to die. The only one that came close was Vanguard - sadly that was an unplayable mess at launch destined never to recover.

b) No hideous quest chains with cut scenes or monologues giving increasingly stupid reasons why they need you to go out and acquire some rat whiskers. The only MMO that has done quests like this properly is The Secret World.

c) Distinct class roles. Clerics that heal, Enchanters that enchant and Bards that sing songs. Warriors that stand and get hit. Rogues that backstab. No attempt to design the game so that any random groupings of classes will be functional. Again, I'm looking at Vanguard which imho improved on this.

(at this point I accept that the progression servers are totally broken and mages currently screw everything. However, you can still play effectively like its '99).

d) Proper social agro. Stuff attacks you and keeps attacking. No leashing, no fixed encounter sizes, no unnecessary fluff to make it "friendly".

e) Equipment you can trade. No binds to account put on every single item you would actually want. An economy.

g) Downtime. As bizarre and counter-intuitive as it seems, the downtime in which you wait for mana or health actually serves a purpose in hindsight. It balances classes. It gives other classes purpose. It gives you time to go pee. It gives you time to actually talk to people and make friends.

f) Grouping. You know, actually talking and working with people. The fact that you need to group encourages even the anti-social to overcome their anxiety and develop relationships. And the fact your reputation has value if you want to keep getting groups keeps most people in check.

Basically, it is a game that hasn't been patched up, made simple or where they have tried to "fix" the "problems". Because 15 years later and with all the experience of a myriad different MMO's behind us, it's pretty clear that a lot of those problems were never problems in the first place.

EDIT - all of that applies to EQ1 itself, which is why I don't play the live game. I don't want to play with mercs, I don't want 5,400 AA's mucking up the simple balance of the classes and frankly I would be happy to see the map go.
    Zujilli and Fallfyres like this.
  15. MaestroM Augur

I want a chance to raid, in era, without any of the socking, training, or KSing that goes with raiding on P99.
  16. Arrk Augur

I'm here because all other games on the market are boring. Nothing beats the grouping and social experience of EQ. WoW had it for a while, with Vanilla and TBC... but lost it.

So I am here to enjoy my time, and re-experience all the content I did years ago. I did all the raids up to OoW.. just trying to enjoy it again.
    Katmandu26 likes this.
  17. Arrk Augur

EQ has and always will have the best class system and balance. Every class is unique, and doesn't try to cover gaps so classes are interchangeable. That is the biggest mistake current MMO's make. IF 3 classes can do the same things, then why have 3 classes.....

MOB agro, factions that affect game play, downtime for social, single pulling vs grab all the mobs, no need to quest, but have benefits for doing quests.
    Jent likes this.
  18. Katmandu26 Augur

I left around the time of OoW too, give or take. Those sister expansions were the guild breakers, and many people left for WoW or EQ2.

I came back because the idea of playing EQ again as it used to be was incredibly appealing. Over the years I'd logged on to my old characters about a dozen times, each time overwhelmed with all of the missed content and the number of AFK people sitting in the main hall in PoK. The zones were empty.

Coming back to a classic feel, even if it's not perfect, has been an amazing experience for me. I love it. I love the groups in old content, and missed that so much in the other games I've played since. You just don't see that in modern games and I agree, the modern games missed the mark.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  19. rosleck New Member

Why am I playing here? I started in 2000 and played thru 2008 took a break for a year and then again from 2009 to 2012. My favorite memory's of the game are all from the beginning....grouping at Orc 1.....Doing the newbie Armour quests, learning to raid in Pop. No matter how many other MMO's I have tried none have measured up to the "good old days" in EQ. I came back to experience some form of that play style.

In the last few days I have had a blast slowly earning XP grinding at Dev 3 or Orc 2. I have sat at the common lands tunnel randomly buffing people until I could find a group. Now if I can only talk the wife into coming back...she played a Bard way back in the day.
  20. Zujilli Elder

I started dabbling with EQ on the live servers around September of last year. I joined a great guild on Rathe but had to take a break for a while due to RL stuff.

I saw that the Ragefire TLP was coming, did some research and thought it would be a great time to come and check things out, especially since low level grouping would be happening and I wouldn't have to try to learn about 15 years worth of improvements and features all at once. I could start from the beginning and play expansions as they unlocked.

I came very late to the party, but this game has a certain magic feeling to it that other games just don't have. I started playing rpgs on Super Nintendo in the 90's and was hooked. Playing Everquest reminded me of those days when I actually kept journals to write things down about my games because there was no flashing arrow that told you exactly where to go. NPCs would give you a description, and you would either write it down or just remember it. Or you might find a random number code out in the world that you though "Oh, I'm sure I'll need this later", so you'd write it down.

Anyway, that got a little rambly...but basically I'm here because the game is very charming and has that old school RPG feel which I love and have not found in a game in a long, long time. Call me weird, but I actually enjoy the slow leveling too. I like not skyrocketing to level 20 in an hour. I like that I can craft armor at a low level and it will actually last for more than 20 minutes before I out level it.
    Fallfyres and Jent like this.