Spirit/feel of the game is wrong atm

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, May 28, 2015.

1. Potsos76 Augur

Take the boat from FPE to OoT. Stand anywhere but the far left edge of the boat. You have arrived on deserted island in the middle of OoT. Easily duplicated over and over. How hard is it to fix this route? THE BOAT GOES DIRECTLY THROUGH AN ISLAND. I then used Origin, which crashed my client and I had to wait in queue for an hour again.

That, or say "travel to Ocean of Tears" and be TPed there instantly. Tough choice. :p
  2. Vaclav Augur

Doctor, we need a Roshen of Tears meme ASAP!
  3. Ceffener Augur

Like I said if daybreak thinks they have a playerbase to maintain a hardcore no instanced server more power to them. The only way they will ever get my money is to maintain a game that allows me to log on and play, not wait for hours.

If they can make more money maintain the old school style I'd do that.
  4. liveitup1216 Augur

Can we get a vote to change the server name from Ragefire to McDonald's?

Seriously nobody has time for proper cooking. Give me more of that generic 'have it your way' slop!
    MBear likes this.
  5. Glistarian Augur

Isn't there something in the latest patch notes about this? Is it not fixed?
  6. superman Augur

I thought that until my last 2 groups, i've got some groups with some really cool guys, and although the camp was easier than woulda been on live, we just killed more stuff, it sped up the pace a little, but the social environment is why i play. it brought back original eq to me. maybe not an exact replica, but the cooperativeness. (if thats a word) p1999 sounds like a good server for you if you want all the hard stuff back :) but end game over there is locked down (from what i hear) and everyone already is WAAAAY ahead of you. so if your playing to be the best. not gonna happen over there either.
    MBear likes this.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Can't go back to yesterday.
  8. Rumblebore New Member

I want to separate the term "Progression" into 2 things. As a server, Progression is intended to relate to content within an expansion, from expansion to expansion. But many arguments (above) tie "leveling' into the meaning of Progression. Not the same thing at all.

The huge turnout of players all at once obviously made competition for level 1 to 3 mobs overwhelming. Those who leveled first began to move after higher level mobs and a steady flow of competition for those higher level mobs rolled on as the ocean of players pushed forward for the same mobs.

That is not 'Progression'. That is leveling. In a very hotly disputed manner, across all newbie zones and secondary ones.

The biggest problem we faced at Day 1 and 2 were the sheer numbers competing for the same mobs. Add in the Boxers pushing botted characters forward to get to the content which would force a vote in 6 months, and you had the formula creating the problems which we faced.

Those botted players are pushing "Progression" of the SERVER into a new expansion. And yes, 6 months is not pushing, but that is the rule we are playing with. High end content now will be in the hands of only a very few guilds for a time that maybe the 6 month period of time will allow other competing guilds to get a crack at. Time will tell.

Instancing relieves some of the pressure. Consider one specific dropped uncommon item. Having the ability for the Minotaur Battle Axe to drop multiple times a day in multiple instances creates a glut of one item which should remain uncommon. Making loot common when it shouldn't be is modern gameplay, not classic. Lets say the price when sold at first was 50 plat per. By the end of the week, that item will sell for less than 5 or be vendored because it has become so common. This is just an example of both the problem and effects down the road.

Realistically, these solutions, instancing and another server, can relieve the problem of a high volume of players in newbie zones and secondary zones until the player base levels enough to spread out. It is summer right around the corner and yes, the interest is going to wane. For now, lets take things as they are and work to establish ourselves as a base trying to make our server into something memorable and fun.
  9. vardune Augur

The pickzone stuff has saved both of these server, u my friend need to.cancel ur account and walk away.
  10. Invictvs Augur

i cri evrytim
  11. MBear Augur

Why do you feel the need to mock on multiple threads?
    Honest question, if you don't feel the need to but just want to for the sake of X I would love to understand what X actually is.
  12. Invictvs Augur

Where there are tears, there are tissues.
    MBear likes this.
  13. Greymere Augur

I don't think we should encourage anyone to quit, he is entitled to his opinion even If myself and others think its wrong, instead we should be trying to get him to embrace why we are enjoying the experience first.
    MBear likes this.
  14. Kasuka Lorekeeper

You want the same feel that you did when EQ first released? There's no getting that back, it's over. EQ back then was the only real option for an MMO of this magnitude, so people didn't have a choice. It was new, it was challenging, and it was confusing as hell. People continued to play, because it was the only option.

These days people have options. Plenty of options, in fact. The only way DBG can compete with this is to offer similar services and play environment. They could do whatever they could to make it as "genuine" as possible, and you'd still be unhappy. Not only that, but DBG would lose a large player base due to the changes.

Most players want to be able to play, accomplish something in their given playtime, and not have to pull their hair out trying. You may want to get from point A to point B by pushing your car, so you feel "challenged and accomplished." I, and many others, prefer to save time and energy, and just drive the car from point A to point B.
    Ceffener likes this.
  15. MBear Augur

They make other easy mode games. There will always be a niche market for a classic style EQ. It isn't all about nostalgia. You may in fact be the same as most players but you aren't the same as all players. It remains to be seen how long EQ can offer similar services and play environment and survive. I'm well aware that DBG runs more than EQ but SOE wasn't bought as an existing gold mine, it was bought as a turnaround.
    Many of us think the other options out there suck and that EQ is worth playing but can be improved.
    You are right, though, you won't probably ever get that same feel you did when EQ was released. in any game. ever again.
  16. Kasuka Lorekeeper

I'm in between both. I'm not afraid of a challenge or a little hard work, but I also have limited play time these days, so I have to find a balance between the two. If I wanted easy mode, I'd play WoW. There are plenty of other games that are very challenging, and some that aren't, and I've played just about all of them.

I enjoy EQ, but I'm not attached to it like I have been to other games. I came back here before the same reason as most - to relive the experience I fell in love with ages ago. My family and friends invited me on to this server for the same reason - looking for that "magic." Two have since quit due to queue and overcrowding, understandable, but over dramatic.

I find groups here and there, but I have yet to meet more than one or two nice players, as most remain rude and shut down, likely caused by the competitiveness and toxic environment. I myself have found I was a little too harsh with some people, and apologize because that's not who I am. The whole situation made for angry game play - which is not fun.

Now enter the instances, porters, etc - sure they aren't "classic" EQ, but they've lightened the load and softened the blow (yea, I said it). I can actually level, whether solo or in group, without the stress that the chaos created. I have an opportunity to stay with the crowd, and not be left behind.

Bottom line is that I did come to EQ for the classic experience, to relive the memories and have it be like old times.... but it isn't, and it can't be.
  17. Ceffener Augur

A challenge is something that is hard to complete given mechanics and requires skill and strategy. Waiting days for a mob to spawn is not a challenge of your gaming ability. It's a challenge of how long you can go without peeing.

The old style 24/7 niche market isn't large enough to support the game. If it was every MMORPG on the market wouldn't have dropped it. The only game that can maintain a large player base AND still has a monthly subscription is WoW. Which is not "modern" at all...it just turned 10 and fluctuates more subs in a month that EQ has ever had.

You can argue that it's for kids and too easy blah blah blah blah. You don't actually play it at top tier, even then doesn't matter.

A game needs players to stay alive and players in the 2010's want to play their games. Make challening raids! Impose death penalties, harsh leveling, etc. Make the game hard!

Do not make a game that involves sitting in line for hours and expect large numbers to stay around.
    Indrigoth likes this.
  18. MBear Augur

I would propose that EQ should capitalize on the niche is all. Keep doing what you are doing on live, but work with p99 or whatever is necessary to get a code base to work off of to get a Trilogy server or even just open a PoP locked server with every older mechanic they can manage. No voting or any of that, just build the server, tell us exactly what it is, and let us decide to play. I bet it would be a server that would be around and healthy for a long time if they went as classic as possible. It would keep people coming back and subbing that aren't necessarily staying subbed full time for live right now. Best of both worlds. The development team has to make the one time effort (might be heroic) to get it set up but it is one more server that will attract that niche market while not requiring any real enhancements and very little revolving effort. It might not be the place that you would want to play if you are too busy for the older mechanics but that is OK. A 16 year old game can't be choosy, it needs to attract every piece of the market it can. It just comes down to what they can afford for effort as an investment into the long term health of the game as a whole.

TLDR Keep doing what you are doing on live, find a way to get a classic server open for the niche market. Make money and prosper.
  19. Maec Journeyman

I agree with you Rothj. I dont think we will ever get a chance to see it like that again, but I do agree with you.
  20. Rhodz Augur

Once you learn a game there is no unlearning it.
    If nothing else the common knowledge of what drops where and how to get it, where to level, what gear is coming, etc ad infinitum... differs from EQ launch where no one knew much of anything.

That is what is missing and that you can NEVER get back.
    I am good with it.
    Indrigoth and Vaclav like this.