Can we sticky this quote please.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Prymal, May 28, 2015.

1. Prymal Journeyman

--RadarX
    Gythlen, Invictvs, Troutfest and 2 others like this.
  2. Prymal Journeyman

Because it sums things up well.
    Massimo_Bertoxx likes this.
  3. jagarr Augur

it *sorta* does, but as is DB's usual way it is still left open to sploitzin'

people were running around in lavastorm whispering boxers blank lines and if they don't reply, reporting them. somebody did it to me, but i have a separate window for whispers on all 3 boxes ;)

technically though you can still get people suspended for using boxing software if they don't catch your whisper on one of the chars. sneaky sneaky

boxing and miss a GM tell? thats a suspendin' !
  4. Maltheus Elder

Jag you know people can't just get suspended for being petitioned right? GMs come and do an investigation. They aren't going to purposely snipe obvious boxes when a player is there. It's just not going to happen.

If you are six boxing or however many boxing and a GM appears you are going to notice as long as you are at your keyboard. They look special and shiny and lovely.

This thread is just going to spiral out of control like the other.
  5. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

What are whispers? lol
  6. taliefer Augur

Seems pretty clear to me. I think being able to respond to a gm on a single char is more than fair enough to allow ease of boxing 6 characters. /afk tells to xxx isn't hard to set up.
  7. jagarr Augur

WHEEEEEEEE!!

edit:

Josh: "They're not whispers. They're tells."
    Mover 2: "Yeah, they'll tell your *&%^ for plat."
    Mover 1: "I think there's a word for that... I think its whisper."
    Josh: "YOU'RE A WHISPER!"
  8. Prymal Journeyman

Not hard at all. It good to see a clear cut post summing it all up. (again) The problem with forums is that information gets lost as posts move from the front page.
  9. Toquillaw Augur

If it's a do-nothing sorta tell like "Hey - you there?" I don't respond. Might mark them as spam or ignore them though.
  10. Baeddon Elder

Not sure if this is useful or not, but here's the exact working GINA trigger I use to almost never miss a tell from a screen I'm not on:

{S} -> {C}:
    Tarrin likes this.
  11. Maltheus Elder

I used a "gina trigger" once.
    Massimo_Bertoxx and jagarr like this.
  12. Multra New Member

Don't think that is going to save your . If you are set to afk but your character is doing and you don't answer tells you are breaking the rules, and deserve a ban.
    Tamier likes this.
  13. Maltheus Elder

Don't even know why I'm wasting time replying to this, but that's simply not the case and not how it works. A GM isn't simply going to snipe box accounts for kicks. If your character is doing you aren't necessarily watching that screen. If you get a tell and it says "tells to Maltheus because he's my Ogre overlord" a GM is just going to send a tell to the character specified, you will say "hi I'm Maltheus the Ogre Overlord that commands these mage peasants" and the GM will say "cool thanks happy hunting".
  14. Steampunk Augur

If you are truly having trouble keeping up with all your characters (maybe that's telling you something right there), try setting up audio triggers to warn you.
  15. Fallfyres Augur

---------------------

Something they do in Azeroth and other realms.
  16. Samatman Augur

There is a fundamental problem with determining whether someone is botting by expecting them to respond to a tell. Not responding is not in any way a clear indicator that the person is botting at all. I miss tells all the time because of combat spam. It shouldn't be expected that we set up audio triggers, use tell windows, or reply to anyone's tells to play a game within the parameters of the terms of service. In fact an audio trigger on "tells you," just results in your trigger spamming you every time you buy/sell at a merchant. Furthermore, there is nothing in the terms of service that specify that I can't actively play the game while keeping an AFK flag up.

This whole "reply to tells or you're a bot" idea is just as silly as Prathun kicking people off Ragefire because they were AFK in a city. Going AFK doesn't violate the terms of service. If you want to disconnect based on long term inactivity, write a script to do just that. Find a better way.

TLDR: if responding to a tell is the best way they have to ascertain if I am botting, that's pretty pathetic. Find a better way.
    SuedeVeil, Toquillaw and MBear like this.
  17. Koschei Journeyman

Thanks for the update, however this explanation is not what was shared on the livestream, some backtracking here, which is to be expected as it's a hot potato. The above doesn't address the issue of one key firing a spell off on six characters, according to this that's just fine, it's just for unattended operation, so box away.

That said, DBG aren't really that bothered with the folks that object, those players will either suck it up or stop playing. They just don't want to talk about it anymore which is a shame, so I'm setting up my PC to run with six characters and nuking some big baddies! The worst that happens is a suspension if they decide for some reason I'm not playing by the letter of the law (which is hugely ambiguous) and I benefit by significantly improving my loot, have to deal with less people and have a lot less downtime and be able to far more easily farm plat to by Krono to keep this going.
  18. Keldaria Elder

My opinion is the livestream comment isn't being posted or reiterated anywhere and since that livestream the 2 statements that have been made have specifically went out of their way not to reiterate the position mentioned in the livestream which is in no way been posted for official record. All that makes me think maybe he misspoke on the livestream or it was misinterpreted. Otherwise I'd imagine that he/they would have no problems saying it when they posted on the matter afterwords. Of course they might also be playing upon vagueness in the hopes of attempting to appease both sides which is silly if that's what happened but only the devs know for sure, and they appear to not be up for making any further statements or clarifications.
  19. Fallfyres Augur

-------------------
    The suspension lengths are about as inconvenient as is the amount of exp loss these days, so its a no brainer for those who prefer that playstyle, really.
    MBear likes this.
  20. Baeddon Elder

Which is why you set up your audio trigger as "{S} -> {C}:" to eliminate that issue. No beef with the rest of your post, though. If someone doesn't want to use audio triggers and tell windows to watch for tells on slave screens, then everyone else can bugger off. I live and die through my audio triggers. I trigger EVERYTHING...nearly. But if someone else doesn't want to...if someone else wants to legit ignore tells emphatically, that's their right and absolutely NO reason to be suspended. Indeed, when I was in the guide program, the protocol was to leave a polite tell as to why someone was being logged off the server JUST IN CASE they checked their log files to see why they were offline, but knowing most likely that tell would never be read. GMs know better than to rely on tells. I've accidentally ignored a GM who was there to help me. It would have been to my advantage to respond, but I was legit AFK somewhere, not breaking a single rule. (He was answering a petition... and he still delivered.)

This whole concept of GM's using tells and expecting an answer is humbug.