ROSHEN, PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Joshuada5566, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshuada5566 Journeyman

I just want to say something which has been said before, but it needs to be said again. PLEASE if there is any way, PREVENT people from boxing on Lockjaw. There are several arguments against doing this:

#1 - "Most of the subscription money coming to daybreak is coming from boxers"
    This is an illusion. If Lockjaw was to be made so that boxing cannot be done, you would see more sub money on lockjaw from non-boxers than on ragefire from boxers, I GUARANTEE IT. Just give the idea a chance.

#2 - "Boxing isn't the problem, OP classes are."
    No they aren't, they are not ruining the GAME PLAY like boxing is. Classes in EQ were always uneven, even if they are moreso now, this will be partially alleviated by the fact that if people cannot box, not everyone is going to want to play a mage, and 6-box mage groups will not be a problem.

#3 - "If there are no boxers, the population will drop!"
    It will drop on ragefire because people who do not box will move to lockjaw, and people who currently do not play on ragefire or any other server because of boxers will also move to lockjaw. If there is a population problem, it will be on ragefire, but on lockjaw you will see a healthy population.

#4 - "What about people who play in the same house?"
    This is the only argument which has any merit. Perhaps there is a way to allow certain IP's to have more than one connection at the same time.

#5 - "Some other argument..."
    Roshen and the rest of the Devs, I implore you to consider this idea. I've been playing EQ for a long time and I know how high the interest is for a server where boxing is prevented. You will NOT lose money on a server of this form, in fact you will probably see many people who are not currently sub'd re-sub again, much like they did for ragefire.

Any response the dev's have would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Don't fall for people who are lobbying to keep boxing available. The old "Boxing is what kept EQ alive" argument might be what has kept regular servers around, but doing the opposite will BOOST a progression server.
    Tamier, Stigmas, Gehlfein and 2 others like this.
  2. Diemond Augur

Only 2 things to say.

#1 Your title is going to be changed, they don't like posts addressed to them like that.

#2 Boxing is here to stay, post all you want but it's not changing.
    SBC0, moogs and Xanadas like this.
  3. User Journeyman

I totally agree with this post. Watch out for the boxer fanboys to hate this post.

Tron Legacy
    Tamier and Ordo like this.
  4. Jet-Li Lorekeeper

/reports this horrible thread
    Xanadas likes this.
  5. MaestroM Augur

I've said this a few times other places. Boxing is not the problem. Lack of content is the problem. Instancing will allow everyone to play with their own style. Wanna play in a crowded zone? Pick a crowded instance. Wanna play in an empty zone? Pick an empty instance.

Even if you remove boxing, you'll still have jerks that come through and steal your camps. Let people who want to box, box. Just remove their ability to impact your gaming experience through instancing.

Edit: I don't box. I prefer to have a group of real people. I just think the server should allow everyone to play how they want to play, and people should only be able to impact my experience to the extent that I want them to.
  6. Flandersian Augur

A lot of these posts reek of P99. Boxing has been a massive part of EQ for a very long time. It was a huge part of Combine/Sleeper and Fippy/Vulak. This is a losing, dumb fight.

Sidebar: I wish I would've had the foresight to buy stock in the word "loose" upon the invention of the internet. It used to just get used whenever a nail or screw was being difficult. Thanks to internet posters, i bet "lose" is worried that it may fall out of our vocabulary all together.
    SBC0 and Zechs like this.
  7. Diemond Augur

I reported it too.
  8. User Journeyman

The problem with EQ style of instancing is it still allows people to /pick, which changes the instance they are in and puts then in the same exact spot that they were in the last instance. Hence they will keep swapping instances at lets say frenzy spawn. If they made it instanced like WoW where u have your own instance then boxing would not be an issue. They also need to instance raid content awith time locks on toons that have already downed a raid boss, and make they raid loot no drop.

Tron Legacy
  9. Joshuada5566 Journeyman

@Flandersian
    It was a spelling mistake, sell your shares.
  10. Jaxarale01 Augur

Ahhh someone gets it!!

I think the overall theme is everyone would like to play the way they want. It is a great idea and should be done if possible. To me, the only answer is to instance everything.
    As said above... you want crowded masses of people to contend with?
    Pick a crowded instance.
    You want to take your 6 box and try to hold down several camps?
    Pick a sparse instance.

It is not rocket science here people.

For the ultra hard core that want to race for spawns?
    Pick the first instance that raidmob01 spawns in and race whoever is there.

/shrug
    Seems pretty easy
    MaestroM and Bigz_Zupdarty like this.
  11. Flandersian Augur

Max Nostalgia! With all instanced content, mages, IP limitations, mages and more!
  12. Jaxarale01 Augur

Why does this keep being brought up?
    The fix to this has been posted 100 times and yet we still get yahoo01 complaining about it.
    There is already a 5 min cd on /pickzone
    You up it to 30 problem solved moving on...
    Vaclav, Hateseeker and Bigz_Zupdarty like this.
  13. Hateseeker Augur

LOL. Traditional EQ instancing starting with GoD IS your own instance and people demonize it for that, whereas you're against it for NOT being that. At least that proves there is a huge difference between them.

At any rate, have you realized there is a 5 minute delay between /picks? Have you considered it could be 10 minutes? or 24 hours?
  14. Rutaq New Member

I agree there are concerns about lack of content, but to an extent that is by design.

Boxing on the other hand is not a game design element, it is something players and impacts grouping in the game which has cascading effects on the overall health of the server.

Your ideal view of letting everyone play they way they want is unsustainable and subjective. Where are the instances with PvP enabled ? How about instances with Kunark unlocked ?
  15. User Journeyman

Well when the spawn time for a mob is this amount of time etc 25 min or so, the pick command needs to be way up there in time. If they do that then u get stuck in a instance that gets full. Say you pick such and such instance it has 6 people in it at the time, then wham it has 50 people in it, and u have to wait lets say an hr or more to /pick again ... Pointless to have it instanced unless u can get your own instance if they make the /pick command what it needs to be time wise which is 1 hr plus on timer.
  16. Hateseeker Augur

You can tell how many people are in an instance before you /pick, choosing the lowest one will keep the numbers balanced out. If you pick a zone with only 6 people in it and the singular camp you want is camped, well, I mean, that's not really a problem.
  17. MaestroM Augur

I guess we're just seeing multiple tiers of denial of access to the game.

Top tier: Inability to log into the server. Everyone pretty much agrees this is bad. Its denial of the entire games worth of content.

Lower tier: Inability to access specific content. This one is split. Some people say sh*ts classic. I think its still bad. Inability to access specific content is no different from inability to log into the server to someone who wants access to that specific content. If I want to raid and I can't, the server might as well not be up from my perspective. I'll go do something else. The server still loses business, it just does so on a different scale.

Eventually, this lower tier of denial of access will cause the majority of accounts active today to be canceled. People will log in to do Z, having done A-Y ad nauseam, and seeing Z is unavailable will log out. Its only a matter of time before this person gets frustrated and logs out for good. Both kinds of denial of access to content cause people to leave.

What about when someone has done A-Z ad nauseam? Wouldn't this person leave too? Yeah they will. But that's why there's Kunark/Velious.

There's an argument to be made that expansions will also hold on to people who are in the A-Y camp. And it will to a certain extent. But A-Y are generally just lower level content. The a sizeable chunk of time in this game for people who are actually playing it will be at max level. Most of us played this game for years. And for most of that time had a char at max level. That's tons of people looking for Z content only. This creates a certain dissatisfaction/a feeling of exclusion. Every time my guild got blocked out of Time because the top guild blew the Fennin Ro encounter to keep us out we lost members. This doesn't add value.

There is no novelty in raid loot anymore. Its not 1999. None of us are impressed by someone else having an orb of mastery. We play because we want it for ourselves. There is just no reason to make us compete for it.
  18. Oberon Augur

Interesting that the boxers feel the need to counter the no boxes argument, they must really think it has a chance for the new server
    Tamier and Joshuada5566 like this.
  19. 3nn10 Journeyman

30 minutes still doesn't solve the problem. EQ has many rare spawns that have timers from days to weeks, so having on demand instances everywhere will still destroy the economy and allow epics out the ...
  20. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

people who box have just been playing long enough to know that these devs will cave to any negative PR that is not countered on the forums. (I said I wouldn't post on this topic again, im done)
    code-zero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.