What to roll?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by luckynclover, May 22, 2015.

1. luckynclover Journeyman

Coming back to the prog server after many years away from eq1..Ive not been able to get into eq1 because how top heavy it is but this server is perfect for me we all start fresh. So as a fairly noob player that would like to play a valuable class could i get some ideas? Keep in mind how future expansions will effect the class.
    I know in eq2 its chanters and bards...but eq1?? Thank you for your input!
  2. Sctt033 Elder

I rolled a login spammer...it has been kinda a let down tho.
    Glistarian likes this.
  3. bondbp New Member

I'll help ya bud, a lot of upset people right now on these forums (I don't blame them). Enchanters and bards are always favorable. Rnchanter specializes in mana regen and melee haste, charm soloing, and crowd control. Bard does everything in the game except ports, just not master anything. Great for groups to make everyone else perform much better.

Clerics are great healers and health ac buffs and required for raids. Shamans are also amazing soloers and great heal there, can solo, solo tank, and do respectable damage. Those 4 are probably top in demand. If you want a more damage roll... Monk or Mage lol. People want highest dps they can get while leveling.
  4. Diemond Augur

First game I ever had to program my keyboard to keep trying to log me into.
  5. Glistarian Augur

Enchanters are awesome, at least until GoD. GoD is literally years away, if it ever comes around, so...

But chanters are hard work to play well. There's always a lot of awful ones. Don't be one of them.
  6. Bluebandit New Member

ENC is getting a little crazy there are millions it seems and getting all these damn spells is a pita
  7. Lord Binky Elder

Everyone loves a cleric, and with good reason.
    ameckon likes this.
  8. Iodio New Member

don't want to start a new thread so I will pile onto this one. Any recommendations for a total noob as well?
  9. Lord Binky Elder

I'd recommend any kind of spell caster, really. Melees can be kind of punishing early on if you don't know what you're doing.
  10. Baelfor New Member

How dare you ask a question about gameplay .... don't you know we are all about flaming the Devs in here?
    Lierdal and Iodio like this.
  11. Protagonist Tank

The real answer is: Play what you have fun playing.

That said...

If you like being the "star" of a group - pullers, CC, and healers. Tanks to a lesser degree. DPS get ignored.

If you like being "in demand" - Cleric.

If you like soloing - Necro, Wizard, Druid.

The Knight classes sadly don't really come into their own for a couple of expansions yet, but don't let that deter you too much.
  12. Lord Binky Elder

Which is the way we like it!
  13. Baelfor New Member

... by the way, don't forget about the Necros. They offer great versatility, and are an awesome solo class; however, they offer a lot to a group as well: kick-butt pets, disease-based dots, slows, fears, hp and mana replenishment, and can even bring you back to life, if needed. Locate and summon corpse were priceless back in the day. Not sure how valuable that is now though. However, being KOS .... not so cool.
  14. Lord Binky Elder

Snares are great for groups as well, since everything loves to run away it seems
  15. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

For desirability you can't go wrong with a cleric.

Plus, and most importantly, IMO, the EQ Cleric in particular is a fantastic class. I've never played a healer in any other game where you really felt the power of your class as a healer. Lots of people call it boring, but it largely becomes an exercise in efficiency and mana management, which I, personally, find really fun. Keeping a group healed and minimizing downtime is really satisfying gameplay, for me at least.

With the caveat that the DAoC Cleric was crazy fun, too. Keeping a group up in RvR while another was trying to run an assist train right on you (healers need to die first in pvp), unsucessfully, in a furball was completely exhilerating. But that's another discussion, of course.

Shaman are great support, too, as are druids and both can solo if that's an issue for you.

If you like tanking, pick one of those. There will be a lot of caster heavy groups here because of the imbalances but ultimately every group needs a tank just like it needs a cleric when expansions come. If you plan to raid and want to tank big mobs, go Warrior. Warrior can be a little tricky in classic era starting untwinked, and it helps to get in a good guild and/or make lots of friends to help you get geared up. Gear is everything for a Warrior, regardless of skill. You want both. If you just plan on grouping a SK or Paladin is probably a better choice. You bring utility and have snap aggro abilities and they are a little easier to get up and running than a Warrior. Both are very fun classes if you get into them.

Really, you can't go wrong with any class, these days. I would advise against Rangers and Wizards in classic because those classes can be painful to level in this particular era....They come into their own later and there is a bit of a bias against them for grouping...Groups going for optimal will select Mages (and it's raining Mages here, apparently, because they are OP) over wizards and Rangers have been the butt of jokes since 99 because they are kind of a 'tweener' class in this era. They aren't as bad as people often say, and they were worse in the day because of the shared hybrid exp penalty that isn't in place here, but you will still be dealing with that bias a lot.

To a lesser extent, be aware that Rogues, while a great class (and my personal favorite), really don't come into their own until expansions start rolling out. And there can be a bit of a classic era bias against them, too.

I would also advise against a Bard or Enchanter if you aren't willing to really sink in and master the class. Good Bards and Enchanters really make a name for themselves but mediocre and bad ones stick out like sore thumbs at best, totally ruin peoples' days at worst. You can slack on other classes on an off-day but you can't with those and not be noticed at very least.

That said, pick what you like and have fun with it. If you are having fun and dedicate yourself to your toon and your class you won't go wrong with whatever you pick in the long run and you will likely make lots of friends along the way. Friends are important in EQ. Every class has its ups and downs, really.
  16. rivfader02 New Member

Play what you want to play. Don't just roll something cause you think you will be wanted more in groups or anything like that, because you will get bored. I rolled a Ranger because I mained a Druid back in the day and I always wished to be a Ranger instead. This was a good opportunity to get to experience that again.
  17. luckynclover Journeyman

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions after thinking about it ive decided to go cleric..I was a templar in eq2 from launch to a few xpacs later(hey to any other former Unrest Drow players)Then for quite a while i was a resto shammy in wow raiding. So healing is something im used to in a raid enviorment. So made a female dwarf with a beard! name Faldris. Hope to see some of you in game.
  18. Gehlfein Elder

I posted a poll and let people pick for me.

Female Erudite Shadowknight was the winner - honestly enjoying her far more than I thought I would.
  19. Pibly New Member

I couldn't decide so this is what I'm doing.... Druid, because probably the most rounded class with dps, heals, buffs, run speed and ports; wiz because I love big number boom dps and ports; mage because it's best solo right now and I want to experience lots of the game AND I was mage 10 years ago and love the class; shaman because I want alchemy and sow and shaman is great solo and groups love them. And necro, of course. Why not?

With full access play them all. I will.
  20. Machen New Member

Way to admit to hacking on the Daybreak forums!