Veteran Player From The Kunark Day's, With A Message To DBG.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TalOtis, May 22, 2015.

1. TalOtis New Member

"OMG your such a cry baby!" "QQ more!" "Insert Butt Hurt Kaiku Here" "tldr"those who are prone to these types of responses can feel free to post them. But your "opinions" only serve to hurt gaming communities. This message is aimed at helping DBG to not continue down the path of their predecessor (who shalt not be named) and hopefully turn into the studio that ushered most of us into the MMO world.

I had no idea about this progression server until I received the e-mail about it earlier today. It immediately peaked my interest as I had been reminiscing with a few current guild mates about the "glory days" of EQ1. A time when people helped strangers and forged friendships that last years. A time when you couldn't do nearly everything solo, in fact it was the polar opposite of that statement. A time when people actually conversed without needing something from the other person, or to just insult them. It was also a time when, if you were someone with a bad attitude or a bad player, you wouldn't be successful late game. This is because the community would reject such people and/or the game simply weeded them out.

Everything I stated revolves around one thing, the community. The community made EQ1 the game it was back in it's day, at least on my server. If you want this progression server to truly emulate what it was like back all those years ago, the community aspects is what you need to focus on. It sure won't be the graphics or game play that brings Vets or new players back after all ;).

When I saw that e-mail, the embers of my hope for reliving those days ignited into flames! However before rushing in I checked this board to see what was what. Which promptly put a cloud of freezing rain over my flames, quickly dousing them.

Boxing was definitely a "thing" back in those days, but not at all common nor did you see a group of 6 mages running around in a straight line killing everything in sight. You also couldn't get half way to 50 in less then 24hrs. To me this screams that the difficulty is pretty much gone and more importantly, the community is being sacrificed in order to make more money.

I am not saying those who are botting/boxing are at fault. When the devs clearly do not restrict such behavior it falls squarely on them. However those botting are making a conscious choice to damage the community aspect of EQ, as well as preventing others from playing. Why anyone would pursue such an option is beyond me.

Even more so as to why it is allowed by the Devs.

Sure money is the aim with any game, however for every bot/box that is in your game. twice as many people (likely more) are being put off from your game and that will transition to future games as well. I was fully intent on giving this a go, but it seems nothing but the name has changed for the Devs.

I sincerely hope things change with DBG, but it isn't looking good. Guess my last hopes are with Star Citizen and Repopulation for MMO's focused on the community.
    7Ryan, Norathorr and nectarprime123 like this.
  2. Sarthorn New Member

They could care less about the player . DBG is all about the $. They don't care if you 20 box because you have to be an all access member to be on the server so if you pay you can sit at the zoneline AFK while you sleep , go to work ect so you cant get back in.
    They only care about getting your money , so there will be some charge backs on some credit cards they could care less.
  3. vardune Augur

Yup, i have lost all hope that they care about the community. Kicking afker to solve the capacity issue is the worst idea i have heard of to fix the problem. When you have BAD software you do what any bad software development company does, you throw HARDWARE AT IT. In the form of a SECOND SERVER.
    7Ryan and nectarprime123 like this.
  4. Solar New Member

What a great way to put it. All I have ever heard from original eq'ers was about the community. How everyone was decent, and generally cared about the people that were playing with them. Over the years gaming as a whole has reverted almost to barbaric days. People hide behind their screens and think that they have all the power. I however was not an original eq1 player. I can already notice the lack of forethought from the developers. Great ideas, bad execution.

Main point of this post. BOXERS! I understand that each account that is being boxed is paid for. With that said. One person SHOULD NOT take place over 5 other members of the community. You are simply not loosing money. These boxers will eventually lose interest in having multiple accounts, and will eliminate their monthly payments. During this time, REAL players who are going legit on YOUR servers will lose interest much faster. These players will cancel their payments never to return. So for ever ONE boxer that you have, let's say 5 boxers. That is ONE actual account and four that are going to get shut off at some point. Meaning for every ONE of these boxers that you allow to hold place in the server (stopping real players from joining) you will lose four other current and FUTURE payments. Simple math here guys. Fix the boxers and the world will continue. Just my thoughts on the subject. I'm sure people will agree that dual/multiboxing has and always will ruin the community. There is no point to it, and it only cheapens the games that all of us have come to love. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Hope it inspires even SOMETHING in someone.
    Norathorr, TalOtis and nectarprime123 like this.
  5. vardune Augur

Actually just make [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] illegal, simple solution.
    Norathorr and nectarprime123 like this.
  6. Healiez Augur

IS boxer is a convience, its hardly necessary...

You can do the same thing with a programmable keyboard or with basic knowledge of macro's
  7. Ishbu Augur

Sorry man, you want to play an MMO and those are dead. We just have large online single player adventures you can invite others to now. If you arent self sustained, you arent going to make it far.

I dont like it either, but its reality. The MMO as we knew it is dead.
    7Ryan likes this.
  8. TalOtis New Member

Probably the saddest, yet true, post I have seen In a long time. Hopefully the other games I mentioned will change that.
    7Ryan likes this.
  9. Geroblue Augur

I'm kinda glad all of you are headed to the progression server, more room on the blue servers.
  10. Mrs_Brisby Elder

My groups 19-21 roughly.

We're a group of real people, keeping each other awake, playing games. We're trying to push hard because we want to get to end game content. We know how to do it because this game is 16 years old. You don't have to play the same way we are. Play however you want. There's nothing about what we're doing which will effect you.

If anything, you should be glad we pulled ahead of the pack, as it means were less competition where you are.
  11. Draden Elder

If it is dead, it's because the players allowed it to die. Everyone who pays DBG has the ability to make a statement and a stand, letting them know we disapprove of this conduct. However, PEOPLE don't care, they just want to play the game, even if it's total crap because they continue to pay for something they actually think is lacking on what they want.

DBG simply provides service to as many as possible, it's up to the player base to let them know know what services we find acceptable and that we disapprove of, we simply don't have the patience, or desire as a player base to create that situation. Value is expressed in dollars, people obviously find value in the game of the current sub price with boxers in the picture.

I don't like it, and actively avoid anyone who uses more than 1 account, I honestly don't see the point, go play any other vid game out there if you want to solo all the content, that wasn't the original purpose.
  12. TalOtis New Member

My comment was towards the game being, for the lack of a better term, "easy mode". While it wasn't overly difficult game, leveling that fast only happened if you were getting power leveled. I see they said they got rid of "Hell Levels" so that may be why. Though honestly it taking time to level always made sense to me.

I am more about the journey and the company with me, then the destination though ;).
  13. bondbp New Member

Progression pvp? :) don't like the terrible cry baby's all the time, just kill the crap out of them. Keyboard warriors are such because they have little to know blowback to be feared. Hardcore pvp certainly would change that. And those people who train your camp to claim it!! Just posting dreams here.
  14. Tachyon Augur

The game is what you make it. I formed a great group last night of players I had never met before and another one this afternoon. We picked up singles and had fun. No boxers even replied to my looking for more.

The bottom line with MMOs. If you want something, make it. Don't just expect it to fall in your lap.
  15. Lord Binky Elder

I really haven't had any issues with boxers so far. I've been able to get exp and find groups just fine and I'm a freaking rogue!