An Absolute Disgrace

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tank, May 21, 2015.

1. Ghubuk Augur

What some people seem to be missing is that this isn't a "new" product they are releasing. Rather, it is just another server with different rulesets. You are out no money as you can still play on any other server in the meantime while they sort out the bugs on this server.
    Is it somewhat annoying, sure, but hardly the end of the world.
  2. Vileborg Journeyman

Today is going to be a miserable day for a lot of people. We all came back to get our fix of evercrack that we have been missing for so long and were left without a supply. Initially, the shakes and trembles were simply withdrawal but then they turned to anger for being tempted back to our drug and then left without our fix.
    This game means a lot to a lot of people. It was one of the pioneering foundations of graphical fantasy gaming. I ran regular D&D campaigns until EQ sucked us all in and kept us mesmerized by bringing a text genre to life. It holds a sacred place in many of us and makes us all a little too passionate for it. The evidence is in the numbers who returned to relive an era that started 17 years ago.
    My patience will continue to hold because my drug has only one legitimate supplier and I understand they are doing all they can to get the supply lines open.

/emote wraps the blanket a little tighter as the shakes intensify.
    Freki, Tank, CocoaNut and 2 others like this.
  3. vacid New Member

well said
  4. Nalisa Lorekeeper

there is no excuse for incompetence.

they should of known (atleast a ballpark figure ) of the numbers that would log in. every server talked about it all the time.

People's priorities are fubard if you take holiday to play a game.

Last but not least, they fired the wrong coders.
  5. MBear Augur

Just curious, what subs is DBG selling for 8$ a month?
    I paid the yearly and still only got it down to $10.
  6. CocoaNut Elder

"Your code shouldn't have bugs in it in the first place."
  7. PeppeLePeu Elder

there is no excuse for incompetence you are correct but being taken totally by surprise and incompetence are not the same thing. They can be at times but in this case I highly doubt it. This is something that even they admit should not be possible.

They did know that a large number of players would log in. They knew the server would be close to or at peak. But how would they know that a bug, break in the code, etc that has never happened before. ever. even on the other TLP servers was going to magically appear and smack them across the face?

Peoples priorities are just fine. I would never take holiday to play a game but my brother would. Why? because he absolutely hates to travel, even just driving to the store, work, our parents, is enough to annoy him let alone vacation. And no hes not lazy as he works 60 hours a week but for him a vacation means sitting at home, relaxed for a week playing a game he has waited on. That's fine its his life and his priorities. Thankfully he married someone that's just as much as a shut in as himself.

This may be true but it may not be. How do you or I know that this code wasn't there from one of the coders that did get fired? Or a crazy imbedded code from a coder that has since gone on to three other companies? we have no idea what actual code broke we just can guess and assume.
    Katmandu26 likes this.
  8. Juicepolice Elder

Tell me you went back to Tabletop rpg's. MMO's are fun but not the same/as good as tabletop in the long run.

The good thing is you can do both!
    Freki likes this.
  9. Yara_AB Augur

A while ago they offered pretty nice rates if you commited to get a sub where you pay for more months in advance than you had at the moment. One of my yearly subs for example translates to something around 7-8 USD / month (from euro).
    MBear likes this.
  10. Vaclav Augur

There was a $99/yr promo at anniversary time a few years ago that's still grandfathered.
    MBear likes this.
  11. Bramwell New Member

Not sure why anyone would plan time off around any MMO launch. They never open smoothly.
  12. bigdaddy1213 New Member

LOL @ the people who had to take time off for this. Play when you aren't working like the rest of us, lol.
  13. Elyani Augur

Uhm, you're aware that it was released only a half an hour early. Correct? I highly doubt giving it another 30 minutes (when they obviously felt like it was ready already) would have stopped this from happening.

I have to be to work in 30 minutes. Was hoping I could log in and create my characters now but, oh well, I will have to wait.

This set back annoyed me. It also made me laugh!!!! But it did not discourage me. I am going to still play it and you know you are, too. I don't care a day was wasted. I don't understand why so many are so upset about it to the point they are demanding refunds and claiming they will refuse to play now. But every time something goes wrong this is always the first response from the community and honestly, I would not want any of you cry babies in my raiding guild, so if you leave, good riddance!!. This kind of stuff (well not this exactly, hahaha) happens. You have to kind of expect something to go wrong, it always does! If it wasn't this it would have been something else. At least this is something worthy of talking about for a long time to come.

C'mon, 5 years from now you'll say "Remember back in the day when EQ started that new server and everyone was instantly 50? Haha, yeah that was funny!"
  14. Ltldogg Augur

You are over-reacting for a game...A GAME. These types of posts are the disgrace. Please grow up and act mature.
  15. Gwoben Journeyman

So many emotions over a simple launch delay. Can't wait to read forums in a few weeks when people level and real drama starts.
  16. Jeramie New Member

I just gave up around 8:30 CST last night and played Witcher 3 :) I
  17. Diemond Augur

Most of it will be contained in game, won't be much on the forums but there will be some.
  18. Vasil Journeyman

As a programmer I know all about the half baked excuses you give the boss or the client when you effed up the code and this reeks of that. I also know that when you eff it up this bad you get the coffee, pizza and maybe some beer and you work until it's fixed. None of this go home and try again tomorrow stuff.

Beta was too short and didn't test the proper things.

I feel like a fool for falling for this moneygrab.

There better be 2 new TLP servers today, because even if they fix the spaghetti code, they are still going to be locking out paying customers once the server fills.
  19. Tank Journeyman

Wow just woke up and come back to a post i made that has almost 75 replies and over 2000 views .

Now i have slept and re read my post I can say that early mornings, a bottle of wine make me a little cranky and has resulted in me spitting my dummie out. I am looking foward to launch 2.0 tonight with you and I am all happy again.

What a difference a few hours sleep make. O the irony :)
    Katmandu26, Yara_AB and Gwoben like this.
  20. Yara_AB Augur

... I would keep my head down, not be happy about the situation and not make fellow developers look bad in the eyes of the "unknowing minions". Instead I would support them because I pretty much know that it can happen one misses things that turn into big desaster.
    Gwoben and Katmandu26 like this.