Dumbest EQ Stories!!!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ishvah, May 15, 2015.

1. Ishvah Elder

So in EQ there is a lot to do, especially back in the day when grouping was the thing, and coming from all it's history EQ has shared tons of dumb stories, i want to hear yours, but first let me tell you mine!

So me and my brother played a lot of EQ together, he was in the Marines and I was considering joining at the time. So in 2005 he was living at my place for about a month before he moved to new hampshire for recruiting duty, and during this month off we decided to start shadow knight alts and twink the heck out of them, so we got both of our SKs the greenmist and started leveling them up, we made it to 30 pretty quickly and thought i bet we could duo some LDoN's but sadly LDoN dungeons required 3 players. We recruited a random druid and he picked up the LDoN quest in butcherblock while me and my brother were waiting in lesser faydark. So me and my brother decided to play a little prank on the druid and start typing in chat that we were getting attacked by the unicorn and he needed to hurry otherwise we were dead. So both of us staged a little fight in chat and FD'd at the LDoN entrance and the druid walked up and saw us just laying there, thinking we got killed by this stupid unicorn and all of a sudden we stand up and in /say went "OOGABOOGABOOGABOOGA" and the druid just stood there and i could tell he was looking at his computer screen like, oh god im grouping with idiots. Was the dumbest thing i ever did but we were laughing our off for at least 10 minutes. We still talk about that today.

Share your stories here, whats the dumbest thing you ever did in EQ?
    Batbener likes this.
  2. Elkay Augur

Day 1 playing EQ. Made a half elf ranger. Thought Kelethin was the default starting city. Ended up in Surefall Glade but didn't realize it. Spent the next hour running around /shouting "how do I get up in the trees???". Yep. I was that guy.
  3. Batbener Augur

I was running around on my second toon in 2001ish. My first toon I started when Velious came out(I didn't know this at the time) and my dial up made me think the game was worthless. A week or two later, I am running around on my cleric(My first toon was a barb warrior, and the bears kept killing me before I realized I was in a fight, dial up and all. I thought it was a game function to have 5 bears come out of nowhere). Now this cleric was a pretty strong guy, because I put all my points I could into strength, so I could carry more loot. Well, killing bats on the third or fourth day, a guy comes up and tries to hand me a weapon. Since I had never traded, I thought it was some kind of scam. When he sent me a tell "Hit the trade button", since I never got a tell before, I freaked out and logged, thinking he was still scamming me.
  4. Ferry-Tunare Augur

I'm not sure what server I started on. The next day I couldn't recall what I had previously selected so for a while I had Rodcet Nife written on a piece of paper.
    Silv likes this.
  5. Tour Augur

Was a druid in tree form in lesser faydark. I think I just liked the idea of being this talking magical tree that was nuking / healing stuff.

Uh-oh, something big and mean aggroed me!
    No problem! I'll just run aw....oh, right...I can't cause I'm a freaking tree.
    Die.
    No problem! I'll just run back and very easily find my cor...oh, right...I can't cause I was a freaking tree ... who died in zone that is nothing but other trees.

Learned what a chipped bone wand was that day :)
    Mektosna1 likes this.
  6. Kaliani64 New Member

So..Two stories..One was in LDoN...Three monks and a bard..This was right after monks got the fear button..So it's my husband, myself and our couple friends. Our friend decided to fear a mob(I wonder what this button does) kind of moment..So she fears the mob, it runs off and we're all just standing at the entrance going..Hmm..where'd it go? We wait like 5-6 minutes and then we see it..The entire zone running towards us..The three monks, myself, my husband and the one who feared the original mob..all feigndeath..The bard(our friend's husband) looks at the train, looks at us and goes "F You!!" And we watch him die..as we laugh our butts off.
    Second story..My husband had a druid..He was bound at a dragon(Wuoshi). So we're out hunting, blah blah and we all gate back to PoK..All but my husband who was bound at Wuoshi..Who just happened to be up at the time..He ended up dying about 40ish times..We had to find a cleric with their epic who was willing to stand there for several hours. My husband re-bound in PoK shortly after.
  7. Khat_Nip Meow

When I first started playing ages ago I didn't know about the con system.
    For the first month or two I would run up to anything and start attacking it.
  8. Progress Augur

Made a half-elf named Tanis starting in Surefall Glade and got lost in the tunnel to the exit for an hour because it was too dark to see the passage and no one would come show me the way out!
  9. Stickietoes Augur

I have a bunch of dumb stories, but the only one that sticks out to me the most is: The first year, I think 2011, the DSH Mech Guard raid. I was trying to train these people who were training and KSing my group... well, I kept pulling mobs with my AE dot spell, so every time I faded, the mob would come back in a few seconds. This went on for about an hour, then I gave up.

I didn't realise what was wrong till the next day.
  10. asgaard Augur

I've tried to attack someone else's merc because it looked like one of the mobs in the zone.
  11. easyJet Apprentice

1. Back in 2003 when I was on Tallon Zek with my Sk, as soon as I hit 46, I thought I would go and see what Plane of Fear was like. I mean if it was dangerous I could FD right? It was 3am (gmt), and I was going to log for bed but just wanted to see a new zone (I had to go to work at 8am). I zoned in feeling good. Instantly that good feeling disintegrated. Panic set in and for the first time I was really afraid that I had lost all my hard earned gear. I sent a tell to my guild, Ebon Army, and 'cooly' let them know my dilemma. I was told how intelligent I had been to do this, and it was suggested I sat outside whilst all the guildies that were able to zoned in to try to clear the entrance. Soon I was joined naked outside by half the guild, Then it got exciting. Realising there was a full spawn in PoF, we were joined by 2 other guilds (names escape me) who spent 6 hours clearing and recovering and killing. Eventually I got a rez, I had phone into work, telling them that I had an 'upset' stomach. I slept well though.

100. The day before yesterday I was in SHIP workshop just messing with my wizard, when I was swarmed by 2 dozen mobs. I just tanked them and nuked them down, and was suddenly dead... so I respawned to my bind so that my merc wouldn't die. I ran back and sat waiting for a rez from her. It never came. I had afk'd and she had auto passive'd. ANyhow I reactivated her, and got the rez, thought I would go get a drink and med up. I rebuffed and then started messing again.... and died again within 5 mins in EXACTLY the same circumstances...

I may get to the other 98 stupid errors in between those two at some point, but for now they'll do.
  12. Chastizer New Member

well it was just before the launch of Luclin and i wanted to get my iksar necro up to level 50 before launch. I went to the dreadlands to kill undead and a few hours in i was doing great!

My GF at the time had friends over and they were going out, after they left i realized that they left a full bottle of wine on the coffee table, well i drank the whole thing and fell asleep with lich on. Alas i woke up and was dead. looked back though the log and realized i had been killed by my own spell....so stupid
  13. Therisa Elder

Way back before you could make horses with levitate go down I was heading to Kael on my horse and had Flight of Eagles as well. Rode out over the ravine in front of Kael and went to click the horse buff off but got Flight of Eagles instead. Hey, they looked the same... Had just enough time to think, "Oh sh" before me and my horse splattered on the bottom of said ravine.
    Mektosna1 likes this.
  14. Iila Augur

The Kael ravine killed 4 or 5 people in my guild the day Velious launched. Including me. Navigating by /loc to get to Kael, and suddenly, splat!
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  15. Ishvah Elder

haha, those are pretty good... I remember the days of the corpses in the ravine, we always called it VoD for Valley of Death. Anyone ever needed a res said hey i need someone in VoD
  16. Silv Augur

First character in '99 was a Wood Elf Bard. I don't care what anyone says- infravision still sucked, especially when running around at night in the the trees. I was Lv ~5, fell off the Kelethin ramps at night, couldn't find my corpse, and deleted. I re-rolled Dark Elf. :p

Ran the Stein of Mogguk Quest for the first time as a Dark Elf going East -> West across Antonica. I zone into East Karana for the first time and just hit 'auto-run'. Promptly run off the cliff into the gorge and die. I was so confused (was only like Lv ~11?) I petitioned. A GM rezzed me back to my corpse and I continued on my way to Qeynos. It's probably one of the funniest EQ moments I've ever had and shows how crazy things were back when every server had their own GMs, etc.

Was doing a PoHate raid that lasted... well, forever of course. We wound up wiping towards the end and it was already after midnight. I wound up falling asleep at the keyboard waiting on CR, only to barely wake up in time to get a rez. That would have been scary not getting a rez with a corpse in POH.

More recently: Last year I was screwing around with my UI and moved some buttons on my hotbars, one of which was Enchanter punt (has a memblur component). My guild was doing the Argin-Hiz raid and by instinct I hit the key that was now changed to punt+mem blur on one of the Twins. Mob blurs, kills several people, and I get a few tells. :confused: Oops. We still won and no one was really pissed, just more curios wth happened, 'um, did you blur that?'

There are more, like some fun times in Befallen and other old EQ zones, but those are probably my favorites.
  17. moogs Augur

When I was a newbie halfling, I bound my soul just outside of Rivervale, near the guards in Misty Thicket. I pulled some diseased rats from 50 meters off to the left and they were beating me up so I ran to the guards in the hope that they would help me. Well, I didn't make it all the way to the guards' assist range. I made it to my bind point, where the rats killed me. I respawned and the rats were still there and they killed me again. And again. And again. And again. And again...I lost a couple of levels with my death loop and turned off my computer because I didn't know how to /ex

Then I went to Runnymede Gorge and ran into one of those evil eye things. It blinded me (I didn't know this) and my whole screen went black. I thought my video card got damaged so I turned off the computer.
    Silv likes this.
  18. moogs Augur

But the single dumbest thing I ever did was allow my roommate to try EQ and make a character on my account. He made a human named Supamofo and he spent the next hour and a half following strangers around PoK, spamming them with Hail! and quoting from Hitchhiker's Guide when he got a reply.
  19. Verily Tjark Augur

Hey Lila, don't forget we had an enchanter who drowned in one of those tubes in Ssra temple. His name was Royce, he finished 3rd in the serverwide botb too. You would think that would mean something.
  20. Iila Augur

He also drowned in PoTranquility.

Verily he was one of the best of the best