What happened to forum themes/layouts?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Iila, May 5, 2015.

1. Iila Augur

There used to be an option to remove the sidebars on these forums to force the forums and posts to use your browser width without the art eating up extra space. About a week ago, I started getting the EQ box art squishing the forums in, and couldn't find the option to extend everything back to the browser edges like it was before.

I tried adblocking the whole FV+friends image, but that didn't work for getting posts extended out. I just have huge blue bars framing the forums now.

Can we please get that layout/option back? I'm already stuck a crappy laptop screen, losing more space to art or empty sidebars is not cool.
  2. Phrovo1 Augur

Feel free to aquire new forums through game play.
    Dibab, Axxius, Elricvonclief and 5 others like this.
  3. Riou EQResource

They dumped the stretched themes because not many people were using them and they take up extra Web Dev time whenever changes have to be made. It is unlikely they will come back.
  4. Iila Augur

:(
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Please reroll a new a new layout.
  6. Iila Augur

Feel free to reroll a new forum that doesn't waste 30% of your screen space on art.
    Obiziana, Diptera and Phrovo1 like this.
  7. Riou EQResource

What you could do, is replace the forums CSS with your own custom CSS, I think there are plugins for Firefox and Chrome that allow you to do this and even share it easily, you could stretch the content out that way like they used to do :p

The hardest part would be the graphics, but with the CSS change stuff you could probably just remove the graphics entirely lol then it would be easier to scale forever
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Honestly in this day in age with the size (especially width) there is no excuse to have a hard coded with for a web page that causes so much wasted space. Should take the time to make the forums scale to the size of the browser window to accommodate how the user has it set up.
  9. Ferry-Tunare Augur

Anyone have the URL of the giant FV image on the left side? Would love to block her breasts from showing at work.
  10. Saroc_Luclin Augur

They finally updated the boards to purge SOE from it. But for some reason they didn't want to put the layout back in with the Stretched support; even though (AFAIK) it's literally just a single option/argument different from the standard layout.

I too miss the stretched layout and wish they'd just make it standard; pretty much every other message board I use (including Spacebattles which is the semi-official testbed for the Xenfora board software like this board uses) has stretched as the default.
    Iila likes this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Iila likes this.
  12. Deillusional Augur

Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  13. Saroc_Luclin Augur

They have it on the daybreak domain; they have both domains 'live' now, but the SOE one should be fading soon.

For example my links in this thread point to: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-to-forum-themes-layouts.220095/#post-3211166

But as for purging SOE, I meant more about changing the "SOE Dev" tracker and removing "Sony" from the black bar at the top. (The links disappeared immediately, but the Sony Make Believe logo hung around till a few days ago)
  14. Diptera Augur

^ this - why waste so much screen space? I used the full width style on the old forum, and would like to see it return. If additional styles "take up extra Web Dev time whenever changes have to be made", then somebody at DBG is doing something very, very wrongly.
  15. Zarzac Augur

DONE!

Tested in FF should work in Chrome or other browser with Stylish extension.

Install Stylish Add-On -

Install add-on for old domain
    and new domain

I may or may not (probably will not) expand it out to make it cleaner, but it will serve your purpose for now.

Sheex, Troutfest, Obiziana and 4 others like this.
  16. Saroc_Luclin Augur

Nice; thanks.

A minor quibble with it on Chrome is that it seems to be doing something with the background image of the message area of the board (The gray scale part); that seems to make it more pixilated than before. Not sure how it was done before or if anything can be done with it. But otherwise it seems fine.
  17. Zarzac Augur

Was just kinda quick and dirty could probably be improved by shrinking that image and repeating vs. stretching it out, but that was more work :)
  18. Axxius Augur

Need to include some more classes (e.g. discussionMain). The list of topics is still shrunk, now with empty space on the right instead of the art.
  19. Obiziana Augur

Thank you for the fix! It looks way better now.
  20. Troutfest Augur

This is fantastic, thank you! Using Chrome here