Achievements based charm

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Notsileous, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Notsileous New Member

Charm of the overachiever
    So we have all these achievements, some give you xp and some give you items but most are quite pointless. I propose a Charm item that grows in strength the higher your achievement score is. This would bring a lot of business to older zones and older content and give the bored people something to do in their spare time. Since some Achievements are close to end game level difficulty it already has some built in scaling and if the max is set higher than can be done currently it will be useful for years to come.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

3. Fenudir Augur

No. Just no.
    Warpeace, Rouan and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  4. Notsileous New Member

Usually when disagreeing with something you give actual reasons. It's one item, if you don't like it don't use it. I fail to see how it would negatively affect your lives.
  5. Fenudir Augur

Ok, how about this; the achievement system is the third dumbest thing that was ever added to the game (one and two being the multi-hails in TDS and the treat-players-like-three-year-olds-on-easter collections resprctively) and they need to go away. Particularly the asenine idea of locking AAs behind them. Daybreak does not need to be encouraged to do more with the achievement system.

And for those of you wondering, this IS the nice way of putting how I and many of my friends feel about the system.
    Warpeace, Rouan, Ferry-Tunare and 4 others like this.
  6. Notsileous New Member

Do you not like the AA's because it's too easy? You can't call them locked behind anything because they are free for doing stuff you may already be doing. It's not as if they took something that already existed and locked it behind achievements, if you want to complain about the items that's one thing. I don't love the achievement system either but its there and unlikely to go away so we might as well use it to its fullest advantage.
  7. Iila Augur

Don't expect other to put more effort in refuting your low effort absurd idea than you took posting it.
  8. Kellaer Augur

No

No
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

While I might disagree with the rewards for achievements, they are a good idea because some people love them. And the more things people like about EQ, the more people will continue to play.

So the idea of having achievements is a good one. Whether the rewards are the right ones or not, and whether we should add another one with a charm, is another question.
  10. Barbwarrior Augur

11. Barbwarrior Augur

I also want a charm with next weeks wining lottery numbers
  12. Kellaer Augur

Achievement points were probably put into the game with Underfoot because the devs back then thought someday they might use the points themselves. Such as certain thresholds allowing you to purchase a fluff ability or item. Illusions and clickies that don't give you power and such.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Iila like this.
  13. Mugsie Elder

I have talked about this idea myself with some fellow gamers, the idea of a grand arching version of TSS Charm of Lore, with LARGE achievements coming from collectible raid drops, ect.

Problem is achievements and the point ratios are incredibly lame. You get as many ach points for finding a one room blah blah house as you do getting hunter for a zone.

There is an idea there, its just built upon something that ... you don't want to build upon. That is basically mostly silly unbalanced fluff and not thought out / designed content.

Basically the 'more quests you finish in XXX expansion' will inherently be better balanced.

Mugs

PS. NO
  14. Vlerg Augur

you already get a reward for doing achievement: AA , item, clickies...
  15. Random_Enchanter Augur

items, once put into game, must have set % based upon any given value. By putting into the game a charm slot that is based upon nerd achievement points you will have to base the power off the total amount available. As they put in more and more points the stats on this will increase likewise.

Re-balancing the charm per expansion also wont work very well as it will take a decent amount of dev time that could be used to make something else.
  16. Triconix Augur

Although I like the idea of giving people some fluff items or rewards (not power increasing), I don't think a charm will be a good idea. All this would do it reward the people who play this game 24/7 even more benefits/rewards that they already received by playing the game that much. Plus, it gives people more ammunition to ridicule those who do play that much (seriously, step away from the keyboard and breathe some fresh spring air!!! ;)). It's one thing if it's a cool gizmo to play around with, it's another issue if you give a person a character power-increasing item solely because they spend a lot of time in the game compared to outside the game. This problem already occurs with progression locked zones, faction grinds, achievement augs, achievement AAs, achievement clickies, etc. I don't think it would go over too well to add even more items; items are are an actual significant upgrade at that. Item upgrades are much more significant than aug upgrades.

Most of these achievements are solo-able/boxable until you get into more recent content and raid achievements so it is not a matter of difficulty, but a matter of just time investment. No matter how to slice it, nobody has the same or even the potential same amount of time to be able to acomplish such a feat, which brings you right back to my first point. Why give people even more stuff who make it so a good portion of their lives are based around this game on top of the stuff they already achieved or can achieve compared to the person who works 70+ hours a week? One person should be benefited more because they made a conscious decision to make EQ a priority over other things in their life? They are already granted rewards for these accomplishments. If that is not enough, well, they don't have to do the achievements.

Also, when does the charm stop increasing in power? Is there going to be a set limit or will it be ever increasing as new achievements are introduced, giving even more benefit to those who complete all achievements?

Lastly, achievements are one of the worst implementations in the game, ever. They created a tackiness to EQ that I never will manage to get over. They feel like a cheap phone game system, not something you would find on a well developed MMO. Also, they give visible evidence to use as ammunition for haters to ridicule/tease those who do manage to finish a lot, if not all the achievements. They are a huge time investment and, for the most part, and nothing besides that. 80%+ of them are not difficult in any way, shape or form. What it shows people is that the person working on them has lots of free time or makes EQ a priority over other things. Personally, it's hard for me to complete a lot of them in a relatively normal time frame due to the fact that I am one of those people working 60-70 hours a week with 20+ hours of commuting. However, I've been working on my Hero's Journey and I'd like it done for the illusion as I am a collector of 'rare' in-game illusions (not those cheesy SC ones!)
  17. Axxius Augur

This charm should only have one stat, and it should increase with each achievement: Heroic Charisma. I cannot think of a more fitting reward for this.
    Sancus and Iila like this.
  18. Betenoire Elder

So charming
  19. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I see what you did there!

I actually like the achievement system for tracking purposes, it just needs broadcast filters to be able to omit the spam for every little tiny thing ever. Explorer of the guild hall? C'mon now...