Producer's Letter: Progression Server, April Update, and Beyond

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Mardy Augur

+1 to this, I'd much rather they separate the new LoN packs into different categories. Two random loot items is ok if I know I'll be getting two random illusions and familiars. Two random loot items is not ok if it's going to include things like paintings and ornaments, because it'll be no different from buying LoN packs.

I'd be all for it if you could make them 2 guaranteed loot from illusions and familiars, then have a separate pack that guarantees 2 loot from mercs and ornaments or something. Then a separate pack that guarantees 4 loot from paintings and potions. But yeah I'm one of the ones that asked for LoN loot be made available on the marketplace. I'm glad you folks are going forward with it. But the whole idea was to buy what I want, and I'm willing to spend a lot of money to buy what I want. Just don't make it into another LoN gambling game.

I'd also love to see more items be heirloom, this is a no brainer.
  2. Kinadorm Augur

If campaigns won't hit until the Fall then what are the plans for the summer? I hope that the progression server thing isn't taking all of the focus away from adding new things to the current game.

Campaign Questions:
    1. Are campaigns replacing expansions or will they be in addition to annual expansions?
    2. If they are replacing expansions will they include raids and new AA's and spells?
    3. Will this be all instanced content or will there be open world zones?
    4. Will the loot be equivalent to existing TDS or is this the next tier?

Also, please make campaigns purchasable with station cash.
    Baeddon and Yinla like this.
  3. Mardy Augur

Campaigns are perfect for these kind of stuff. EQ2 used to have adventure packs that dug into the nostalgia of Everquest universe. EQ1 can benefit greatly from it.
  4. Axxius Augur

Hmm... Windstalker didn't say that the campaigns are replacing expansions.

This is what Elidroth said on Feb 17:
    Somebody needs to clarify, please. Which is it?

a) there will be expansions AND campaigns;
    b) there will be expansions, but they are just called campaigns now;
    c) campaigns are not expansions, there will be no more expansions, Smed lied;
    d) none of the above, more explaination is needed.
  5. Osgz Lorekeeper

yes but the adventure packs were much larger than the current "Campaign" that is being released in EQ2.

Bloodline Chronicles had a huge questline and lots of instances - Campaign = 1 door 5 instances
    The Isle of Mara one had 2 overland and few raids and 3-4 instanced dungeons - Campaign = 1 door 5 instances
    Splitpaw saga has 5 instances 2 raids and original zones - Campaign = 1 door 5 instances

Not only that the Adventure packs cost 4.99$-7.99$ this is 15$ for a door.
  6. Slasher Augur

People need to stop asking for stuff to be purchasable with station cash. THEY"RE NOT GIVING YOU IT FOR FREE. If they gave you these for 2000 SC you simply just save 4 months of 500 station cash and its free that DOES NOT help them make money.
    Baeddon, Schadenfreude and Axxius like this.
  7. Elricvonclief Augur

Thank you for posting, Holly. The fact that new content will be coming is a relief to many, who have been skeptical of the future.

I hope there will be enough content provided to keep folks busy.
    Zujilli likes this.
  8. Shadriel New Member

Could we please get clarification on just what you mean by this announcement?

Do you mean we can now look forward to paying the full price of 2 expansions a year? With 2 expansions of new content a year as well? If that is the case - are you aware that the reason they stopped doing that was at the communities request? Most players were falling further and further behind during the time period that they were releasing 2 expansions a year. Not to mention, many people felt those expansions were poorly done and lacking in enough content to really be considered a full expansion (they seemed more like 2/3's of an actual expansion) - so felt they were cheated on the expense of paying for them. We lost a lot of people because of these frustrations. Their was quite a bit of outcry over the whole thing which eventually led to the developers of that time making an agreement with the community that they would only release 1 expansion a year from then on - which has been working out fairly well, for the most part, if you want my opinion. If this is what you meant - then I personally am pretty ticked off by this announcement and I doubt I am the only one who would be upset by it, either.

Or - do you mean these "campaigns" will be more along the lines of half an expansion each - so in the end they add up to about 1 expansions worth of content - and the cost would be altered to be more in line with the expense of a single expansion total? If that is the case - then I am intrigued and would be interested to see how that goes.

Also - could we get an idea of when the beta will be going up for the new Progression server please?
    Cazmac likes this.
  9. Kellaer Augur

I'm going to guess it is going to be a non-answer like our questions about the reduction of the RoF exp nerf were.

We're definitely not getting expansions and campaigns together. It's just impossible with half a dev team.
  10. Kellaer Augur

No. Play on the regular ruleset servers if you want that garbage.
  11. Darzag Elder

I don't have time to read all of the posts. So I scroll down looking at the names and reading the red named posts (Roshen mostly). I keep seeing the same names over and over. If I don't have time to read them, how do you have the time to gripe and complain endlessly? You must use your play time to post. I feel that it is time better spent to actually play the game.
    Cazmac likes this.
  12. Tyraxor Augur

I'd just like to know how many Raids are planned.
    Group content is all about hanging around with people, heck i usually have no problem repeating stuff there. But the latest raid system...please tell us you will put effort into creating several tiers there again, i can't be the only one who thinks 1 zone (and an ugly one too) like Arx Mentis with 5 raids is a complete letdown. I don't wanna be pessimistic, but if we get that kind of thing for raiding again i will be forced to.
    Imrahil, Yinla and Sancus like this.
  13. Hayzeus Augur

...so instead you just gripe about people griping? Classic.

We have opinions about the game we pay to play. If you do not wish to opine on the topics at hand, then that is your right to keep quiet. I shall exercise my right to voice my opinion while you sit in the corner and keep quiet.
    Baeddon, Imrahil and Geroblue like this.
  14. Fidde Lorekeeper

I like this. My hopes include the use of the SAME currency through multiple campaigns. Also please don't Nerf old XP to boost the new zones. That didn't go so well in the past.
    Garshok, Cazmac and Yinla like this.
  15. Silv Augur

Well, I'll start by saying 'thanks' for finally posting *something*. It's still completely inadequate but at least we know that there is more to EQ than TLP.

It's a blatantly obvious PR ploy though to change the name of "expansion" to something else if you're suggesting they are supposed to be the same thing. No. If you change the name, that means they are going to be exactly NOT the same thing. That way, when people complain next year that we aren't getting an expansion's worth of content like it has been in implied here you have the defense 'It's a campaign, not an expansion!". :rolleyes: And if our campaigns are anything like what you just revealed for EQ2... well, congrats on the beginning of the end. I'm still optimistic our version will be nothing like EQ2, but that's just speculation and blind faith.

The LON thing is a great idea. Unless you don't remove the garbage. You want us to pay $10 for a chance at a HOUSE DECORATION?! Until you make this an actual worthwhile purchase, external 'for cash' sources will steal your revenue.

I am glad the TLP garbage should be out of the way by June though. It's already exhausting to have it shoved in our faces.

Mostly another empty producer's letter though. We're going to do this 'ambiguous' thing for content in a 'nebulous' period of time that will be 'the same' as an expansion but we're giving it a new name 'because reasons'.

There's nothing wrong with saying you're going to overcharge us for even less content than what COTF or TDS offered and that you're going to release it on your own timeline. I suppose transparency doesn't yield much of a profit though.
    Asparux, Baeddon, Melanippe and 3 others like this.
  16. Reht The Dude abides...

sorry, only takes us about 3 hours a week to clear what TDS has to offer, have to find something else to do with the rest of the time a real expansion would have provided.
    Asparux, Geroblue and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  17. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I can see how having realistic expectation would be bad for some people's mental health.
  18. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

It takes you 3 hours a week to run through every zone, mission, heroic, and raid? /gasp....teach me how.

Seriously though, I got it that you are only interested in doing the raid content and for a serious player with support the group game can be blitzed through in a week. Realistically I just don't know how they could come up with new content to keep those sort of players fully engaged for the duration expansion's life. I wonder what kind of content would have serious replay value?
    Cazmac likes this.
  19. Kellaer Augur

What has happened since we have had a change of producer and the Columbus Nova acquisition.

- Fire half the developers
    - Ruthlessly gut what used to be an incredible customer service program
    - Consolidate the forums which has the effect of discouraging excellent topics such as lore discussion
    - Way too flipping much bonus exp. Be prepared for "Daybreak Week" upcoming, where we get more bonus exp (it was uploaded in test spell data.)
    - Dismantling the expansion system we have had since the start and trying to cover up the fact we're getting less content in staggered releases that everyone has hated, using pretty language like "campaigns"
    - A progression server

The progression server and saturation of bonus exp, which are of dubious benefit already, don't make up for the garbage that is being force fed down our throats.
  20. Lottascatta Journeyman

This is the "Sea Change" many of us have been expecting with NewCo.

The deletion of the term "expansion" and the insertion of the term "campaign" are not by accident.

They hail the implementation of a new approach. A paradigm shift of EQ at it's core.

A "campaign" will not be able to be compared to anything in the past. All bets are off for those hoping for a continuation of "business as usual". You will never see a new "expansion" again.

You will have a simple choice come this fall: Play the game our way, pay the price we demand or find another game.

Life is all about choices. Business is all about profit.

You get to vote with your wallet, once again.

See you on the other side. Maybe!