If a time lock server is selected which expansion do you want it locked at

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by vardune, Mar 5, 2015.

1. driagon New Member

I also agree stop at pop or oow
    Crayon123 likes this.
  2. Trosh Augur

I agree with that method. In my post talking of new poll ideas they could do, that was one of the poll ideas.

Thread: https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/new-poll-ideas.218833/

Poll Idea:
    If a Time-Locked server was launched, Which expansion should it stop at?
    (I'm going to list expansions based on max lvl. I will stop them the expansion right BEFORE the next level increase. Post comments if you have a better idea)
    1. Velious
    2. Luclin
    3. PoP (Max 65, but research shows this to be a darn popular one)
    4. GoD (max 65)
    5. Prophecy of Ro (max 70)
    6. The Buried Sea (max 75)
    7. Secrets of Faydwer (Max 80)
    8. Underfoot (Max 85)

While Polls are a good thing, i would ideally want them on a website and not in-game. As people have said on these forums, when you do in-game polls you get a lot of results from people who aren't actually planning on playing the new server. If you did it on a website then you could have a smaller more focused data group.
    Crayon123 and Irbax_Smoo like this.
  3. liveitup1216 Augur

PoP (including LoY/LDoN) or OoW seem to be the most popular trends, with Velious in third I'd imagine. Velious has my heart too but might be too small for Daybreak.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  4. Portis Augur

Unfortunately, as much as i like it, Velious is just too darn soon. It really would be over just as things started to get interesting. There is enough to keep people interested for a while, how long people would stick to it if the server perma locked there? Well, you could argue another 3rd party server (not naming names here) has not even reached Velious and still has a good following.. a FREE following is the key there. Having people pay for a server that stopped this early just wont work imo.

The win/win here would be have a true retro server as well that was perma locked at Velious. I wouldn't be surprised if a good cross section of TLP 3.0 players had chars on both this AND a main on the true progression server.. i know i would! As they wouldn't need to pay extra for it as a subbed member of the main TLP (or gold member pretty much), it would probably be quite a successful 'side' server for downtime and off-raid nights just to toss around on.

You are of course diluting slightly by doing this of course.

Portis / TOlbath
  5. Trosh Augur

Personally I feel Velious just doesn't have enough stuff to do to keep it interesting. Luclin at least has loads of funky zones and quests, plus AA's. PoP has a complicated progression that could be fun to do and take up time.

If there is a time locked server I would like to see it be a ladder style that goes to PoP. Re-setting every 2-3 years to wipe the slate clean then slowly progressing back up to PoP. That way you get all of the old school expansions over and over forever. I think that would make people happy because they would always know that if they missed the expansion they loved, they could get it again after reset.
  6. Feradach Augur

Locking at LDoN would be my choice as well. That was the height of the group game and it would be great to get that back.
  7. liveitup1216 Augur

I'd easily love a LDoN/LoY server. Forever ever.
    Zoggzog, anathema and Crayon123 like this.
  8. Rokuzachi New Member

PoP or OoW would be great. I could see myself playing on a server locked at one of those for quite a while.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  9. Penlaen New Member

I would vote for LOY or LDON as last expansion.
    LOY would make it like former EQmac server, but with extra conveniences of maps and shared bank.
    LDON was the most fun I ever had in EQ.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  10. FluttyMan Elder

It's a tough one.

PoP is one of the expacs I didn't enjoy that much. PoJustice is my least favorite.
    I didn't like DON, nor LDoN...

Classic to Luclin is all good for me.
    GoD was hardcore for raids, but i liked it. OoW was fun for group/raid and had 2.0 epics...
    I also loved DoDH and enjoyed SoF quite alot... so many gnomes to smash!

In my opinion the new server should not be locked at any expac.
  11. Zyrek New Member

It maximizes the amount of level 70 content. I think level 70 was the most fertile point in the game for endgame content, so it makes sense to stop it there.
    Crayon123, Ckador and Irbax_Smoo like this.
  12. MBear Augur

Another vote for PoP but LDoN or LoY would be ok.
    Disable the PoK books though, please.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  13. Grish Augur

So like, you can only access PoK during PoP from ports? Is there some way in that does not require a book? Do you just want the books to work 1 way? I'm not sure what you are asking for here.

The books are part of PoK, like it or hate it. I cannot even imagine a situation where the majority would vote for the books to not work.
  14. Portis Augur

How would you get to PoT? or do you just mean the ones in zones and still have the ones in PoK linked as 1 way except for PoT?
  15. Portis Augur

LoL beat me to it Grish :) i was just typing that.
  16. Zoggzog Elder

Leave the entrance from the Nexus/bazaar open, that way everyone can ride the spires up and enter PoK that way, or grab a port.
  17. Grish Augur

I mean, it won't affect me a whole lot as I will be making a port bot or possibly even playing a wizard main but I can sure see a lot of melee classes complaining about it. I'm totally down with the books being off until PoP but if people were to want a locked PoP, you kind of have to take the whole expansion, which included PoK books. Or at least, that's how I look at it.
  18. Hateseeker Augur

Ah very good point about the PoK books. There are two facts on that point - one, them putting that in was the beginning of shrinking the world and making travel not mean much to the immersion factor of the game, ruined class teleports (and guild hall finished the job), etc. Two, they did kind of design the game from that point forward to require those kinds of portals. Looking back, that was one of the earliest big slips toward overcasualization. There could have been more compromised approaches....and from an immersion standpoint, many people never entered zones like Underfoot from its actual travel entrance...just from guild lobby ports and such.

That said, any disabling of the books for progression servers would be a bit of an awkward thing given that the world from PoP onward was designed to fit with the books, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a worthy thing to do. For example, the best compromise might be to put in one centralized PoK book on each continent...somewhere that is at least a little bit of travel from each city.

I am not just making this commentary for progression servers, but I know that if we think PoK books shrank the world, I'm betting that EQN will have even more powerful fast transport available than that. Apologies to people who want to be able to do anything at a moment's notice, but these are MMORPGs, and if you didn't choose a port class, you should either have to take the slow route or group/guild with port classes. Not every class should be able to heal themselves, etc. Note; that's a little off topic, but if you don't want these things in EQN but you aren't on the EQN forums speaking out, don't complain later.
    MBear, Zoggzog and Grish like this.
  19. MBear Augur

Sorry I wasn't clear what I meant about the PoK books.
    I would keep the PoK > PoK books but disable the PoK > Prior expansions books.
    This was specifically regarding my comment about locking at PoK or LDoN though, not future expansions.
    I'd like to see the social aspect of waiting for spires or building friend lists full of Druid and Wizard friends again.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  20. Devol New Member

Initially, I would have voted for PoP. After PoP, I started to slow down and look at EQ alternatives. I'm not overly familiar with the game post LoY/LDON, but there have been several reasoned and well thought out arguments for the OoW or DoN expansions.

After giving it some thought, I would vote for OoW or DoN as a stopping point. I think by keeping older content somewhat relevant, it would be good for the health of the server. Allowing people to progress through the content rather than bypassing it.