Do warriors ever get any dps at all? I mean above what they have at 55?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Questoften32, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Cerpoxx Lorekeeper

Hello all. Cerpoxx here...... Warriors dps just fine... If ur talkin sustained, with a 2hander in warrior can keep up 25k with no problem, if ur talkin burning. I can hold well over 50k dps for over 4 minutes without trouble...... If ur wanting to tank everything AND put down good dps, play a damn mage..... I know sks who sustain more, and burn way harder, so your arguements are all complete invalid in every aspect. The tank classes are just fine, personally i think rangers burn and zerker sustained are the only two classes that need fixed...... A grp geared 102 rogue with 1800 spent aa can hit 200k dps...... A wiZ can sustain 100k for 10 minutes, a bard can burn almost 100k. I get them in my group and do my job TANK........ Stop tryin to be something your not. Just tank better. The game wide skill level of knights is falling immensely. Slow on aggro and cant hold it, dont know how to stack discs.... Yall need to get better at tankin trash like u were made for and stop worryin about your dps..... Let the dps classes handle that part.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  2. Ravengloome Augur

Yes em massah I'll get right on tankin those adds massah.
    Zoggzog and Sheex like this.
  3. Wiji Elder

Knights have a high skill ceiling maybe the highest in the game, a good knight is probably one of the best players in your guild. To relegate them to pure add duty is a little silly.

Not only that, how many warriors are in most guilds, 2? 3? If one is gone you can't raid? People quit the guild/game. No one wants that. If a tank is made to tank, let them.

The problem with high end tanking is that we are playing a game against nigh impossible to decipher numbers. Invisible to most players. We play a game against ac, against aggro. That is why players want something easy to decipher: dps.
  4. sojero One hit wonder

We were in the situation Saturday with no warriors. I am one of the raid leaders, and I called DH1, I tanked it from 100-> 0 then we did Neriak 1, we had one war log in then, but because i ddint want his ego to get to big and not fit in the zone, I made him go 3rd on nightmare, and had a pally tank bonecrusher. Then we did DH2 had war on captain and knights on everything else. None of the nights are full cotf t1 yet. If there is a will (and a good coordinated healing force!) there is a way.

Add duty my @**! let the wars have them.
  5. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

At least someone knows his place!
    Zoggzog likes this.
  6. Kamea Augur

I've never heard of this idea that putting knights on adds is diminishing their skill.... On many raids, add tanking is the difficult part to execute. Only a handful of bosses are particularly hard to tank.

I also don't see why knights would have a higher 'skill ceiling' than warriors. Situational awareness and reaction time are equally important for all tank classes.

The vast majority of guilds have more than 3 wars. I'd estimate the average warrior # for high end guilds to be 5 or 6.
  7. Ravengloome Augur

I miss you too baby XOXO.

Wish I could have seen your face when I linked my heal parses ;)
  8. Wiji Elder

If it was over 4 you know I can't count that high.
  9. Sheaffer Augur

Awww LOB reunion!!!
  10. Iila Augur

Higher number of useful options = more chances make good/bad decisions = higher skill ceiling.

A wizard doesn't have a huge variety of options, and they have a simple metric for figuring out which ones are best, DPS. While a paladin has a pile of tools and options, with no simple metric for figuring out if they're making the best choices.
    Sheex likes this.
  11. Kamea Augur

It's 2015 and people still think warriors are a taunt key and a defensive disc?

Beyond that, your argument is nonsensical. You can't compare tanking and DPS. With tanking the core competencies are reaction time and situational awareness, not execution of a pre-determined ability rotation. Regardless of tank class, good players already know what they're going to tag with and what they're going to do once they tag it. The hard part is reacting in < 0.5 seconds and having the situational awareness to find the mobs quickly.

You're also showing some ignorance of warrior abilities, considering we have ~10 core aggro abilities and ~15 survival abilities that are all used on non-trivial raids. The hard part for wars is managing the disc timers. We can blow all those abilities, if we wanted to, in a few seconds. We don't have a global cooldown to bail us out every 2.25 seconds. On the survival front, we need to manually manage our AA/disc stack to make it last for the proper duration, is there is no canned way to accomplish this and we need to use our judgement each fight to determine the optimal rot.

People who box wars, or are just lazy players, can easily get our core abilities down to a few hotkeys. (Assuming you have good judgement) Whoever the best warrior you know is doesn't tank like this, and if you asked to see his UI I'm sure you'd be surprised.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  12. Iila Augur

Do warriors have ways to protect others besides taunting? (lol @ /shield) Do they have an option to switch roles from tank to healer?

I know warriors have lots of abilities for hate, locking, positioning, defensive boosts, and even some offensive enhancement. You spent a lot of text on completely missing the point. It wasn't that warriors are easy to play. It's that the depth of options for warriors (and SKs) is lower than it is for paladins. Sure you have lots of ways to taunt and tank. You can be really good at choosing how to do that. What you never have to worry about is completely switching roles or blending them. (And no, warrior dps doesn't count). You're talking about having buttons to push and finding things to push them on, I'm talking what functions your buttons fill.

By having things like splash, quick heals, various types of group heals, and hott heals, a paladin is presented with options not given to the other tank classes. Sure they could just tank, or just heal. But for the try hard players, they're able to put their awareness to better use because they're not stuck with just being a tank. It adds an extra dimension to the class, you can be the biggest and most awesome square, but you're not going to be a cube.
    Seldom likes this.
  13. Seldom Augur

I don't agree that Sk's have a higher 'skill ceiling' than wars. Zero doubt in my mind a paladin does though. That's not to say being excellent at any of them is hitting a couple of I win EQ buttons though.
  14. sojero One hit wonder

Please quantify your statement, as I am very curious how a war has more options of "types" of game play than a SK does.

As for the choice of words "skill ceiling" I don't think I would use that, because a greatly skilled player is going to max all the classes regardless of the different play *choices/options* that they have. Where a less skilled player is still going to not shine regardless.
  15. Seldom Augur

For me personally, it's not about options of types of game play. It's about ''efficient'' options of types of game play. I find fun in efficiency. Just because I have a spell book with 500 spells, doesn't mean I'll deem them all relevant or efficient. What one player/group/guild finds efficient and fun won't always match anothers. I've jumped in a couple random/pickup raids before and witnessed magi pets tanking while wars, rogues etc. are just throwing and arrowing away. I've also been on raids where rangers and beastlords are just healing away. Those are options of play styles available to those classes, which can be used in those situations. To me, that isn't fun and efficient, so I quickly left after whatever those first raids were. You said earlier in this thread that on one of your raids, a warrior logged in late(the only warrior in raid). Due to that, you put him/her behind some knights in rot on a boss to keep ego in check. If that were one of my wars, I'd have handled situation very different, especially if my guild couldn't handle current expansion content. When I play SK, rather it be raid or group, I nearly always find it pretty cut and dry as to what abilities I need to be using in which situations to be most efficient and shine like a light bulb in process. I also don't agree that ''any'' greatly skilled player of a certain class can max out all classes. Different opinions and very different goals/play styles at end of day. We practically play different games, the things you raid/are trying to get wins on I farmed out at level 100. I wouldn't expect us to have same definition of skill ceilings or use same terminologies
  16. Ravengloome Augur

I don't even know why they gave Paladins spells after level 3, I mean really

level 1 = Salve
    level 2 = Flash of Light
    level 3 = True north

It was all downhill from there quality wise.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  17. sojero One hit wonder

Don't worry seldom you have "skills" that no one else will ever achieve.
  18. Seldom Augur

Don't worry Sojero, you're skills will continue to shine bright in old content. Keep leading your raids to victory MVP
  19. Israfel Elder

I've always thought warriors should have the ability to DPS (in addition to tank) due to their lack of utility.
  20. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Agree with this, a paladin has a higher skill ceiling than the other two tanks due to the nature and strength of their utility heals, cures, battle rezes, etc. But I'd argue an sk has a higher ceiling than a warrior, too, with functions like pulling (historically, before the easymode ha/de we have now, but still somewhat true) and especially at the group level.

When one has to actually channel a lot of their utility (both Knights) it's already going to be a decent amount trickier to play than a warrior, with pretty much all insta cast abilities with stun immunity to boot!