Weapon assigned to specific classes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ruven_BB, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Ruven_BB Augur

While I understand that weapon types, delay, and damage have been used for balancing, it really doesn’t make sense to make specific class weapons for only one class and not others in this limited number of raids available.

For example, there are specific rogue only daggers each raid tier. These soon rot, and are useless to any other classes. I understand that h2h would be limited to monks and beastlords, it’s a weapon type that is limited to class type, but the 1 hand blunts that are limited to only monks and beast lords doesn’t make sense in maximizing who can gain from weapon loot.

When specialty weapons were made for each class, it made sense but caused issues if that class wasn’t there it rotted. With the limited amount of raids available, more weapons should be available to classes that can use that weapon type.

And we don’t need two bow types, I don’t need a ranger specific bow to ensure I get one, we’ll hand out our bows to our rangers first, same as daggers will go to rogues that need them first.

And all weapons will start rotting, but when you have a new recruit, a weapon dropping will have a higher chance they can use instead of class specific ones that are available to 1 or 2 classes instead of 5-7.

Ruven
  2. Vlerg Augur

alot of stuff only make sense when you consider people need to be hand-held... ever saw some SK-paladin bidding on a berserker 2hander? a ranger going 2 hander? a rogue bidding on a blunt/slash weapon?

as a side note, you do want a ranger-only bow weapon, to not have to outbid tanks on their AC range item ( assuming here that most raiding guild do favor, somehow, MT getting loot)
  3. Silv Augur

Just raid Arx a little longer... it won't matter if the weapons are All/All... you'll have so many drop they will be rotting pretty fast :)

On a more serious note... given the genius itemization rationale of "all weapons will be the same but you get to pick your graphic!", there's not much of a reason to have class specific items. Almost every other slot went All/All already.
    Iila likes this.
  4. Riou EQResource

The reason 1hbs were added for monk/beastlord was because Chandrok wanted to give more variety to weaponry, so you weren't just stuck with 1 type forever and you could mix and match more

The reason there are ranger only bows is so they can be powered up for non rangers since rangers get more power from them

Rogue only daggers will stay that way because the devs don't want the other melee to have that fast of weapons for whatever reason
  5. Fenudir Augur

As someone who plays the red-headed stepchild class of EQ, all I can say is that I think classes should be removed from ALL weapons. Come feel our pain.
    Silv likes this.
  6. Mugsie Elder

Some bad things could happen if you drop warrior only weapons to ALL. Maybe that would be a good thing, rangers don't die enough nowadays.

Mugs
    Fenudir likes this.
  7. Triconix Augur

You could probably quadruple my bow damage and I'd still do terrible dps with it. Make it 1000 damage with it's current delay and I may do something that resembles "dps." A warrior with a bow is about as damaging as a toddler with a rubber ducky in a padded room.
    Fenudir likes this.
  8. Silv Augur

That seems more like a playstyle/knowledge issue rather than a problem with the item itself being All/All (or w/e classes can use that weapon type). Another example: I know I'd love to have access to a hate mask for certain situations- obviously I wouldn't wear it all the time though... well, except when Triconix is tanking because I can live longer than him :p
  9. Bigstomp Augur

Wouldn't make a big difference. Warrior aggro is far less about weapon procs these days than it is plain old button mashing.
  10. Riou EQResource

Non ranger bows also get better Heroics and more AC and HP as well as more of the various other stats
  11. Ravengloome Augur

I have a wall full of berzerker 2 handers and ranger bows I am a terrible person
  12. Taiqwon Augur

I personally detest the move to all/all gear. Doing that with weapons would be less desirable for me. Variety is good, it adds flavor to a game. Watering everything down to a choice in heroic stats is beyond stupid IMO.

The devs were more free to make interesting and unique items/abilities when they knew only certain classes would have access to it. See Usasium as an example. This is good stuff.

I also think that the move to ensure that every event drops at least one weapon really does mitigate the concern that class-specific weapons drop. There's always exceptions but I'd bet most Arx raiders think weapons are not in short supply at all. Using monk as an example in previous years you'd get to the event that drops that l33t mnk hth weapon and have to hope it showed up in the list of 12 other items that can drop. Now it's in a list of 3 weapons that can drop for that event so you're going to see them.

I don't think this is an issue and frankly I wish the weapons that DID drop had more variety in them.
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Indeed you are, sir.

I have a Solteris paladin 2hp up on my wall, does that count? Thing was stupid rare for us, but yoinked it anyway!
  14. Ruven_BB Augur

Thing of it is you can add differences instead of getting pigeon holed into one item or have the same item four times with a different graphic.

As it stands now, rogues get spiced plums, warriors get meatloaf, monks and beastlord's get green pea soup or Caesar salad, and rangers and bards get choice of color of jello deserts on the one hand spectrum.

Open up the classes that can use items and make the weapons do different things so that after I get my one or two weapons the rest wont just rot.

Do I want to use weapons fast weapons in a burn? Indeed. Do I want variety on what weapons I use in other circumstances? Yup.

Ruven
  15. Mugsie Elder

Joking about warrior weps aside, I would see a BIG issue if knight 1hd'ers became available to dual wielders, since their ratio (and procs) are based on knight usage.

Over all though, rot weps stink!
    Mugs
  16. Triconix Augur

I realize this, but the argument was about the damage boost on tank bows which made me giggle. I love my bow + BiC. Completely blows a regular range item out of the water.

*grumbles* Probably true.

Anyways, in a world of ever more cookie-cutter characters, items, quests, and stuff in general a bit of variety would be nice to add some flare or uniqueness to a character. Weapons in general were a lot more creative than they are now, from graphics to stats. Now all raid weapons of it's associated tier even have the same basic "look." Arx weapons are all blue-tinted with that space look going on. CoTF T2 were all fire stuff, which I don't get considering ToR was anything but fire. T1 CoTF had alittle variety in graphics, but you get my point.

At this rate, it won't be long until everyone is just holding something that resembles Cane of Harmony with the same exact stats, proc, and ratio.
  17. Vlerg Augur

Unrelated side note, the only weapon that's not rotting ( or going to alt) for inverse logic is the Magna Fulgia (caster 2 hander).
  18. Apoc Augur

I wish the slow belt could be caster wearable ;)
    Silv likes this.