Cases where game masters will not intervene

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Numiko, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Roshen Brand Manager

If that's the case, this is not what I'm talking about when I mention hacking or malicious attacks against a player's account.
    Battleaxe likes this.
  2. Dre. Altoholic

Prevention of accidental loss is much more broad than antivirus and computer security. In this case, redundancy, backups and snapshotting are the domain of the provider, not the end-user.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You are making the flawed assumption that this only happens if you are not currently playing. There are a number of people who play on multiple servers or once a week for a few hours. It would not be hard to get those characters moved and stripped without the player knowing.

Also, in most cases the people who hack the account do a lot more than just move the characters to fv. They use the account to gain other things to sell.

This all doesn't even address the cases of family members, BF/GF, exes, and so forth who could maliciously access the account and delete the characters without the player's knowledge.
  4. Khat_Nip Meow

This would be no different than having a bank account all to yourself in which all the money it contains is yours and only you know how to access it.
    Add 'a family member, BF/GF, ex, and so forth' to it and suddenly it's a joint account. If that other person takes all your money well, that's not the bank's problem in any way.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

True, but it is absolutely the bank's responsibility to positively verify the identity of their customers.
  6. Harabakc Augur

An email to the account holder upon character deletion could be a good tool for customers to respond to potential security issues. Not that it removes the need for customer service interaction but it would let you know of issues on servers or accounts you're not frequently using.
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Unless you guys are admitting to violating state and federal privacy laws no they cannot.

Sorry, but it is not east at all because EQ players do not exclusively play using a static IP nor do they use a single system all the time. You cannot in anyway prove that theplayer did it or even if someone with access to their system did it.
    Then you really need to go back and reread this entire thread.

No, it is nothing at all like that. The player does not have to give any approval for any of these people to log into the game. An accurate comparison would be if they stole his ATM card out of his wallet and drained his account.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Or with a player involved in a FV cash grab using a second party to assist.
  9. Lingum Elder

I don't know this Minishot guy at all. I actually pay to play on Test.

All I want to know, is whether or not this poor guy (I presume this is a guy) is going to have his character restored. I would prefer to know this within the next week or so before my accounts re-sub. There are certain things I will not abide, manifest injustice being one of them. Someone send me a tweet @fatcopchris how this shakes out.
    shik and Kayarra like this.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Seriously? I would ask if I could have your stuff but I don't play on Test.
  11. Battleaxe Augur

While unauthorized use is covered under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act that's to sanction people who break the law,

there are many examples of people sanctioned (loss of job, loss of the use of their computer until they fix it, loss of warranty, etc.) for leaving a computer unattended, sharing account information, falling prey to a phishing incident, etc. - all failures to meet their computer and account security responsibilities.
  12. Numiko Augur

I'm pretty happy with Roshen's explination on hacking and I trust that all cases are investigated and not just tossed into the round filing cabinet.

I think my beef with the changes now are the inadequate protection from accidental deletion of characters on the EQ character select screen..

it is just to easy delete a character...

This did not matter before because you could just call and have the character restored. I have used this service myself when my child who thought she was helping mommy log off deleted my cleric...this is a service they have offered for the last 15 years ... no questions asked, here you go your characters back....

OK, so now they want to go to this, its your problem, deal with it, your free to reroll your level 105 toon with 15.000 AA's and start over.....bye! approach...and that's their choice and they are free to make such changes even though many of us thinks it is corporate suicide for a company to treat it's customers so harshly.

If they wish to use this hands off approach to deal with accidental deletions they must change the character select screen so it is much more difficult to delete a character.
    Caell, Garshok, Melanippe and 2 others like this.
  13. Lingum Elder

It's Test. I have three copies of everything anyway, and can make more every 8 hours. And yeah, I'm serious. I just logged into eq2 to see when my sub is up. The 26th. So if you folks would kindly keep me in the loop....
  14. ModRanger Lorekeeper

Has there been any official discussions about more measures to prevent accidental deletion of characters?

Like having to enter the characters name to confirm, or a no delete flag?'

What about a no transfer to FV flag?
    Battleaxe likes this.
  15. Battleaxe Augur

I got a tiny peek at what Daybreak could do when Conquest was guild banned. And given FV gear selling for Krono and the recent give a pet no drop gear thing players not so much. I'll trust Daybreak's investigations. Actually, I kinda have to hehe being as I like to play EQ and all.
  16. sojuu Augur

This list looks like a big list of what they wont do anymore. Will they give a list of what they will do or was that included already in the post?
    beryon and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  17. Kayarra New Member

Here's the update:

Minishot shared his login info with a guildmate in a previous guild on a previous server around 5 months ago. That person (player name ploww) transferred the char and sold the gear. Since the account info was previously shared the deletion will remain in effect.

Both of Ferry's accounts are currently suspended due to forum violations.
  18. fantasticfail New Member

How did anybody know the account information was shared? If he gave up that information to Daybreak, um, he dug his own grave.
  19. shik Elder

Yeah I too would like to know how this was 'confirmed' kayarra
  20. Slasher Augur

If the person deleted the character from another location they can easily detect that.