Cases where game masters will not intervene

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Numiko, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Barton The Mischievous

So asked in another thread about this issue was told to post in a relevant thread but you notice no DEV/CSR will post in one of the appropriate threads and give us an answer so much for transparency.
  2. Battleaxe Augur

If Daybreak's computers are hacked SOE has already demonstrated in the past it would make good.

If you let your computer get hacked and/or reveal your account information even inadvertently that's your responsibility.

If I write a bug that's on me. If you let yourself get hacked, that's on you. Simple stuff.

"Game Masters are available to assist with errors with the game and/or servers (such as crashes/rollbacks, zone down, etc)"
    (Things that are Daybreak's responsibility - that would include broken quests)

"Some examples of situations where Game Masters will not intervene:
    • Deleted items: Please reacquire any deleted items through gameplay.
    • Accidentally sold items: Buy the item back from a vendor. If it cannot be bought back, reacquire the item through gameplay.
    • Accidentally bought items: Sell the unintended item back to the vendor (not all items can be sold back unfortunately) and purchase the intended item.
    • Misloots: The Game Masters will not move items that were looted by accident or sent/traded to an unintended character.
    • Accidental item modification (combines, augs, ornaments, etc): There are in-game means to correct this issue which the player should explore prior to contacing In-Game CS.
    • Renaming: The Game Masters will not change a character's first name, surname, or Guild name upon request. Name change potions are available on the marketplace.
    • Guild Administration: The Game Masters will not administrate a guild or intervene in Guild management affairs in any way. If your Guild leader is absent, please create a new guild of your own or find another guild on the server that meets your needs.
    • Deleted characters: There are various mechanics in place to assure that characters are not deleted by accident. Let's be careful out there. Deleted characters will not be restored."
    (Player responsibilities)

Happy to clear that up.
  3. Weverley Augur

I suspect they are discussing it but are wondering how much can we give up with our limited ressources.I would suggest to continue getting feedback on how to solve many of those problems. The way i see it the easier to implement those are the better we have to get it.
  4. Barton The Mischievous

That was SOE not Daybreak so no longer applicable though i assume they would
    They are assuring me that the various mechanics in place will keep me from having a deleted character I am not assured and want this policy changed and so do others so no it does not clear it up for me Battleaxe
  5. Barton The Mischievous

Elricvonclief, Kayarra and Dandy like this.
  6. Battleaxe Augur

I'd say the more related it is to Daybreak's code and servers the better the chances are. You service what you sell, not necessarily what the customer owns and/or is responsible for maintaining.
    Actually in the document above they indicate that
    "There are various mechanics in place to assure that characters are not deleted by accident."

In the June 2001 document they state the policy that
    "(1) Account security -- whether it be password protection, running virus checks, disabling file sharing, or any other element of making sure accounts are not stolen or compromised -- is the sole responsibility of the account owner.

(2)Any and all stolen and/or compromised accounts that are reported to SOE will be banned, and no items will be reimbursed. Any player found to be involved in an account theft will have any and all of his/her accounts banned."

Take care of performing your responsibility, #1 above, and you aren't going to be subject to #2.
  7. Ruven_BB Augur

I currently have no option of backing my character up from loss. I had my office broken into, it was locked and secured, however they defeated the security. Fortunately I was had critical information backed-up, I was able to be back and running under a week.

I don't have that option with my character.

Are some people dumb how they handle their possessions? Sure. Should they lose decades of investment because of it? Especially when the provider has the data?

If I listed 10 things that Daybreak could do to tank EQ, 5 can be crossed off already. Their "reroll' a character announcement that has since been removed is a direct reflection of how out of touch they are with their player base.

Ruven
    Elricvonclief, Melanippe and beryon like this.
  8. Battleaxe Augur

Your computer can have logins that prevent unauthorized access by those that don't have an account.

Your EQ account has a User ID and password.

Normal computer security includes not being logged in with your computer unattended. And there are freeware keyboard/mouse lockout apps should you want to leave the keyboard temporarily and not log out.

"(1) Account security -- whether it be password protection, running virus checks, disabling file sharing, or any other element of making sure accounts are not stolen or compromised -- is the sole responsibility of the account owner."

By leaving an EQ session logged in, unattended, and keyboard/mouse unlocked you weren't "making sure accounts are not stolen or compromised".
  9. Uxtalzon Augur

So nerf first, "discuss" later? Had the same exact thing before, but can't remember what it was anymore.

Whoever made this change hoped the players wouldn't notice. They tried to treat us like idiots.
    beryon and fantasticfail like this.
  10. Nolrog Augur

This is not a dev issue and CS doesn't routinely come to the forums.
  11. Nolrog Augur

There are mechanics in other games but not in EQ. I believe in EQ2, you have to click delete and then type the characters name to confirm, to prove you really intended to delete it. But in EQ you just click OK and it's gone.
  12. Roshen Brand Manager

This seems to be a pretty major misconception in this thread. I wanted to clear this up.

Our policy has changed toward how we assist with gameplay errors. Our policy has NOT changed in regard to hacking/cheating.
    Tarvas, Dandy, Elricvonclief and 5 others like this.
  13. Ishtass Augur

With 500 days played on my main character, any possible reason that a mistake could lead to him being gone scares the piss out of me. There is no recovering from that through gameplay. The other stuff, sure, I'm happy to do again if I screw up. But my character being gone is a whole different story. I hope the team reconsiders that part of the policy.
    Elricvonclief, Dandy and Uxtalzon like this.
  14. Battleaxe Augur

Sounds like in EQ you click the Delete button and a confirmation box appears with OK/Cancel. That's mechanics, just not as elaborate as EQ2's mechanics.

Could they be better?
    Delete
    Do you really want to delete Fred?
    OK
    Do you really really want to delete Fred?
    Yes
    You won't get mad if I delete Fred will you?
    No

Not if Daybreak follows the industry standard and restores deleted characters in the condition they were in immediately before they were deleted - a single confirmation box is enough.

If Daybreak instead follows it's policy - yeah, more elaborate confirmation seems appropriate.
    Numiko likes this.
  15. fantasticfail New Member

Pardon me Roshen, but I am still not 100% clear. If someone used malicious methods to gain access to a player's account (hacking,) that character WOULD be restored to its original state by customer service? You are just referring, in this case, to people that delete their characters on accident, or give their passwords away to untrustworthy friends? Thank you.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  16. Velnarin Lorekeeper

A detailed explanation is in order if we somehow misunderstand, because several people are now missing their characters and unless they're collectively fibbing, customer service slammed the door in their faces.

Not being able to assist with "gameplay errors" is also painting with a very broad brush. It's widely open to assuming even worst case scenarios will be ignored and as much has been displayed if not spelled out so far.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and beryon like this.
  17. Jezzie Augur

I'm sorry to have to be the one to inform you of this but your company is failing in regards to enforcing the policy in regard to hacking/cheating.
    SOE cracked down on warping but many others aspects were still being utilized during said crackdown and these aspects are still quite commonplace today. Some aspects are much improved since that crackdown.
    Does this mean that DBG are going to be cracking down on these functions or will they just be looking for warping issues from this point forward?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  18. Harabakc Augur

Instead of telling people what is or isn't critical to their enjoyment of the game and contributes to them being paying customers, maybe you should stop and realize no one has full control. If someone wants in bad enough your password is a slowing point, not a steel vault.

Everyone decides for themselves what makes this game worth playing for themselves. No matter how badly your posts indicate that your value is the only correct one you only decide for yourself. Daybreak would be wise to remember that as well.
    Azrael likes this.
  19. Numiko Augur

I would like to see a character deletion like they have in Tera where you can instantly delete a low level character but anything over level 20 or so takes 48 hours to delete.. the character is greyed out for that period and you can reverse your deccission at any time.
    Iila, Garshok, Kaenneth and 1 other person like this.
  20. Brohg Augur

Battleblade, all your talk of responsibility and fault (which are themselves different from each other) is ... adjacent to the issue, at best. Daybreak is not freed from the consequences of failing to act on behalf of a deleted character's owner just because, for whatever reason, DBG couldn't be sued or whatever.