Mage raid burn set up...

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Dragonsfyre, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Enkel Augur

= ) hi Sancus!
  2. Sancus Augur

Hi Enkel! Lol.
  3. RPoo Augur

omg the suspense
    Mintalie and Sancus like this.
  4. Nylrem Augur

Aye, I wouldn't click 2nd til after VT is gone. Do you wait to buff pet with Maloseniac til after VT procs are gone too?
  5. Sancus Augur

I use Iceflame in raids, but yes I do wait on a short fight. By the time two uses of VT have run out (I suspend my pet w/ VT), you're likely to need First Spire to stay at 100%, depending on your support.
  6. Barper Lorekeeper

What event lasts significantly longer than your Suspended pets VT, your pre-clicked VT on your un-suspended pet and your refreshed 2nd VT?

I'm guessing, unless you're pet tanking the mob, that the amount of time it takes to cast any of the Iceflame line mid fight is wasted time/mana.

But then again I'm the idiot who doesn't get a spear off on every gift of hazy thoughts proc ><

Iceflame Armaments rk II dmg proc
    1: Decrease Hitpoints by 907

with a what 2.1 second cast time, plus 1.5-1.8s of universal cooldown.... If you're sustaining only even 50k dps it'd take 200 procs to make up for lost casting time. (Then again if you're sustaining 50k it might be because you're buffing pet with Eminence mid-encounter and not DPSing)

Just an example from last night grinding with Maloseniac Eminence...

12288s in duration
    A withered root (22), A crocodile (19), A traitorous guard (18), A living stump (15), A mudspirit (12) on 3/8/2015

Mandrew (Barper) - 3130
    --- Eminent Strike II - 1678

Produced by GamParse v1.5.0.2

1678 procs in almost 3.5 hours of grinding. (Maloseniac has a 200 proc rate mod, Armamants has a 150 proc rate mod). So even being generous with the 200 rate that's 1678 x 907 = 1,521,946 dmg/12288s which is 123 DPS. In 3hrs 25m it did less overall damage than a single buff of Virulent Talon, which does 1,840,000 dmg quicker than 2 minutes. I know there's debate on whether spell damage adds up to making a difference, but having or not having iceflame on a pet is really more of an overall detriment to your burst, and if it's only on after VT wears off it's a waste of casting time putting on, unless there's a break in the event with no DPS requirement, and even then at about 100 dps it's probably a waste of mana :\

Unless you're trying to get prism skin procs for survivability.
  7. Sancus Augur

I don't quite understand your question (Don't take that the wrong way... I severely lack reading comprehension skills). Maybe I was unclear... I was talking about 2 total VTs, one on the suspended pet and one use during the event. Off the top of my head I don't know how long that lasts... about 4 minutes? We take a lot longer than 4 minutes on most events (especially T2 CotF raids... those are rather long).

My point was that if an event goes long enough that VT is not on your pet, you'll likely be better off using First Spire than Second Spire. At the same time, on a burn fight, you're losing DPS from Second Spire. Essentially, at least in my opinion, First Spire is the way to go.

I wouldn't say it's a waste of mana per-say (I don't run out of mana on raids unless I die), but it's definitely a waste of time. Your opportunity cost of using Iceflame is much higher than your benefit. Personally I wouldn't buff a pet with Iceflame in the middle of an event, unless, as you said, there was down time (I don't know about your guild, but we're pretty inefficient, which can lead to some down time). I only don't buff the pet with Iceflame on short fights (e.g. Bonecrusher), as VT has 40 procs, regardless of its proc speed. The only time when removing Iceflame will be beneficial is to increase that proc speed, which only occurs on fights that last less than the duration of VT.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same boat...
  8. Enkel Augur

9. Sancus Augur

Such a tease :p
  10. RPoo Augur

I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
    Mintalie, Silv and Sancus like this.
  11. Barper Lorekeeper

Lol Sancus yeah I was confusing things you said with things I thought you said. Someone explained to me how he gets gift of hazy thoughts to proc off spears, and it came off as ignorant to the method in which gift of hazy thoughts procs are used.

Keep trying the /stoprain macro and it just doesn't work! :)
  12. Cindayen Elder

/wave barper
  13. Yimin Augur

Weave weave and more weave or some call it multibinds but here is a few small tricks you may not know , if you do sorry in advance . spell potions this add little dps , try too have your spell dmg as high as possible . Mage wrist have no focus on them from TDS , So just make one if you have access too raid items from TDS All/All DD Dmg instant spells . Raid Elder Silk Wrist Seal of the Magus Magus Destruction

Yimin
  14. Brohg Augur

What spell are you trying to boost with that focus, Yimin, that's not already boosted by the fire focus on your arms or the magic focus on your head?
  15. Random_Enchanter Augur

Or would gain more from the specialized foci that you can make instead?
  16. Cindayen Elder

Hi Enkel and Sancus!
    Sancus likes this.
  17. Cindayen Elder

What does that even mean? The spell weave currently is RS, of many, rain and rain. Secondary is of many, rain, rain, spear. Wrist are easy and cheap to get, specially if you need focus fast!
    Sancus likes this.
  18. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

If those 2 had a babeh, it'd be the stallion that mounts the world. True story.
    Sancus and Cindayen like this.
  19. Sancus Augur

Hi Cindayen!
    If I made a joke relating Enkel's DPS to his prowess... somewhere else, would that be against the forum guidelines? :D
    Cindayen likes this.
  20. Cindayen Elder

hahaha do it, i wanna see what you gotta say! :p