Hide your Magelo -- Daybreak will allow you to be a victim.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ferry-Tunare, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Warpeace Augur

So its Magelo fault people are stealing accounts? That's a reach. If that's the case then why isn't this happening to more top ranked players?
  2. Saave Augur

3. guado Augur

That is all.
    Elricvonclief, Jamazar, Sheex and 2 others like this.
  4. svann Augur

You should post in the many threads dedicated to complaining about the reduced customer service instead of being a drama llama and making a thread falsely impuning magelo as a passive aggressive means to complain about customer service.
    Nolrog likes this.
  5. Ferry-Tunare Augur

I firmly believe security by obscurity is one of the few methods we have to [somewhat] protect ourselves.
  6. Zantor Augur

But since all good items like that are no drop? What do the hackers intend to get, not like they can sell your account. And for those that post their magelo's while they have 10 mill+ plat on them, well lol
  7. Ferry-Tunare Augur

The problem is on the Firiona Vie server the items become tradeable. All it takes is a server transfer token and they can then sell the items for up to 10 kronos per piece of TDS raid loot.
  8. Wiji Elder

Lol @ using magelo in the year of our lord 2015.
  9. Barper Lorekeeper

No matter what a stripper tells you...

Don't give out your log in. It's warned against constantly (I believe every time you log in)
  10. Sebbina Augur

I suspect that hacking EQ accounts is considered "easy fare" for some cyber criminals, and making 100$ week is real income in many parts of the world. For folk who would enlist a friend to clean the account in hopes of splitting the income and getting the character back, once legal means are engaged, the friend could be found out and if sufficient evidence exists a lot of charges could ruin lives. Cyber crime is on the increase and many companies want to ignore it, if the cost of doing business is low enough.
  11. Zanarnar Augur

Account hacked, very unlikely; even knowing that were dealing with Sony "Security" here, its very doubtful someone has broken into their auth system and is only using it to take virtual goods.

FAR, FAR more likely is the people used the same login/pass combo on some EQ forum which was hacked (trivial to do for some forums, could be as simple as a SQL injection attack to dump the user table and then compare the hashed passwords to a rainbow table). The thing is, its far easier to run around screaming that you were hacked then to say "yup I was a dummy and used my eq login and pass on my ex-ex-ex-ex-ex-guilds forum when I registered".

The only thing that can save people like that from their own stupidity is a 2-factor authentication like the psudo random number generator WoW uses. The problem is people that are too lazy to use different logins for forums,etc are also generally too lazy to setup the multi-factor auth. Bummer about the loss but sometimes it takes the harsh lesson to get some folks to wise up and use a little common sense with regard to account security.
  12. Battleaxe Augur

If you are hacked it might be covered under the federal Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. If you report it maybe law enforcement would investigate. But if you share your User ID and password with another player that might be construed as you authorizing use and a report would be considered frivilous at best and filing a false report a worst (if the two of you were selling the gear on FV for example and you reported theft in hopes of reimbursement).

It's probably best to perform normal computer security and protect your account information and hope that Daybreak stops the transfer of No Drop gear to FV to help players who don't protect their account.
  13. Moklianne Augur

Is this true? WOW... How far and quickly support of EQ has fallen. I guess that was all of them layoffs, eh?
  14. Nolrog Augur

How many times has someone lost a character because of a game play error? Has this really happend?

Don't hail Terris Thule, your character will be deleted.