EQ Client crash when afk'ing over night

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Saave, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Saave Augur

Recently, when I come to play EQ in the morning, the Client has crashed.

Others have EQ client issues? I'm sure.. If I was running EQ perfect for years.. now this, others are having issues as well.
    What has changed in the system to cause this?
  2. Tharzak Elder

Probably a new anti afk enhancement to reduce server loads. You could open a ticket for tech support but I'd imagine there is a clause somewhere in their new CS policies that states they can't help you.

In all seriousness though, lots of issues like this seem to be happening.
  3. Saave Augur

Thank you Tharzak. :)
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I have had similar crash experiences.
  5. Fendy Augur

I regularly have crashing issues. Crash while zoning, camping out, switching toons, sitting in one place too long etc.
  6. McDougal Augur

I've been getting that too lately. Seems to come and go,in fact it just happened while I was typing this. It has happened before and cleared up so it's probably some windows file or EQ file that has gone awry.
  7. SaderakhBertox Augur

My crashing came from a couple different places. First, I had bad RAM. It became obvious when it had gotten bad enough that I was getting errors when checking file integrity within the launcher. This prompted me to create a bootable USB flashdrive with memtest86+ on it, to test the RAM fully.

The other crashes came from using EVGA's Precision (a clone of the more popular MSI Afterburner) software. These monitor your graphics card(s), and can provide information overlays within the game like fps, temps, vram usage, fan rpm's, etc. I got rid of that and switched back to MSI's Afterburner prog. I didn't do full on testing to figure out exactly which features guaranteed crashing; I'm just glad they are gone.

Zoning into cotf's Neriak used to be a pretty much guaranteed crash at one point before all the above symptoms started appearing. Another not so obvious symptom to the problem was leaving the client running for extended periods over night and then immediately trying to zone would frequently result in a crash.

I'd say its worth the time to fire up memtest86+ and have a look.