Time to upgrade Monster Summoning.

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Tenaka, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Tenaka Lorekeeper

There is absolutely no reason not to have a level 85, 90, 95, 100, 105 versions of Monster Summoning for Magicians. It is one of the primary reasons I made a magician. And one of the coolest spells in the game, always has been. What we need now is everyone who agrees to try to help push this through. It would be a simple addition, yet very very rewarding for players.

One of my funniest memories of monster summoning on a raid was in Tacvi, the Seat of the Slayer. the Mage has a Stonemite pet with dual Fist of Ixiblat's. Funny thing is the weapon graphic (pulsating red orb) showed up on top of the Stonemite's head, one on each antennae. He'd show up and tell people to pull it over, I always got a chuckle out of it!

Let's make this happen folks it would be awesome!
    Yimin and Rhaage like this.
  2. Zekkin New Member

Personally I'd much rather just see magicians given an AA that allows us to give our pets an illusion based on any monster in the zone, as per the monster summoning spell. This would work on any pet the mage has summoned (earth, fire, water or air). It would not impact the pet in any other way other than casting an illusion on it, just like metamorph/petamorph wands. I presume it could just draw from the list of available models associated with the MS line for that zone. Technically this is hopefully doable.

Having carried out a few searches both on these forums and in general I know for a fact this has been discussed and brought up by mages before over the last few years but never been given a concrete acknowledgement or answer.

I'm hoping a dev can answer whether it's possible for a future expansion/update or at least take it into consideration?

In the most recent IRC AA chat for TDS this was raised with Elidroth but not acknowledged as a few questions were being asked at once, or perhaps he misunderstood what was being asked of him. I think a lot of mages will tend to agree that the monster summoning line of spells is redundant and not worth the effort of bringing them back to use with current content if it's not a great use of time (even though developers continue to update the list of available models for the MS spells, which is nice but sadly neglected). Purely as we've adapted to using the 4 types' strengths for different scenarios. If MS was brought back as a spell but not an illusion, I'd personally never use it.

It would be great to see the fun/novelty of the spell brought back to the class in a more current and usable way such as the illusion approach. My 2 cents.
    Tenaka and Potawatomi like this.
  3. Tenaka Lorekeeper

I really like the simple AA ability idea also. The fact that it would work on any type of pet you have and just work as an illusion is an awesome idea. And it seems this would be loads easier to implement in game than upgrading the spell for five different levels. The whole point is having fun in the game, and that was part of what makes mages fun.
  4. Cicelee Augur

Reasons why this will not happen :

1. Monster summoning pets were arguably the weakest of all the pets, and were never used much by the majority of magicians.

2. Pet illusion clickies are sold in the marketplace, and this might prevent sales of those items.

3. Not sure how much time could even be spent on this, but considering all the issues in the game and the future expansions... developer time is better suited for those things than a novelty.

This is all my opinion on the matter...
  5. Zekkin New Member

Agree that fixing issues and developing the next expansion is time better spent, but my suggestion is to simply the illusion aspect for mages as part of the next expansion, like they did with CotF and added new spells and abilities like the Velocity AA. A lot of the new ideas, upgrades or fixes magicians ask for get shrugged off as they would make us overpowered, so if they're stuck for ideas this is just one to have on the table. As for the lost SC sales, you may be right and no doubt money will trump the fun side of the game as we go on.
  6. Tenaka Lorekeeper

Yes Cicelee it's true the summoned versions were weaker. Which is why I really like Zekkin's idea for the AA random zone pet illusion. It is simple, and would not take too much time away from development.

The fact is people love illusions, on themselves and on pets and warders. If they wanna make it a micro transaction thing put an item that does the random illusion in the market. It will sell I guarantee you.
  7. Voragath Augur

IIRC, something broke with monster summoning and it didn't work right for the last iteration or two. Whatever was wrong couldn't be fixed for some reason that I never heard (could be as simple as no time for it). So, before I became a CRT, it got dropped from the lineup.

It has been popular to ask for an AA to mimic the random zone monster but I don't know why it hasn't happened. I'd love an AA that made my pet some random monster in zone. Rather than eliminate large models (like dragons), I'd like to see a size limit. Imagine the grumbles from the raid team if your pet turned into a giant dracoliche! lol
    Potawatomi likes this.
  8. Nylrem Augur

I still remember beating my first Griffon in East Commonlands tunnel with a bixie pet with several watching.

Or running around the Birdhouse in South Karana with a Cyclops pet scaring folks :)

Fun times then.

Guessing it may be fun once or twice to suddenly have a sparkworker pet appear at the banner in Arx 5, out of nowhere :) Maybe get a grin or two as the MA cusses me out :)
    Enkel likes this.
  9. Phrovo1 Augur

Your guild's MA must not be able to take a joke. Although, I think that your fellow casters might be a bit more annoyed! :p
  10. Yimin Augur

I would love too see this as an AA Monster Summoning :)

Yimin
  11. Zekkin New Member

I figure if the designers get hung up on class lore, i.e. the fact that magicians are 'summoners' not 'illusionists' they can always give us a self-only AA or spell that summons a petamorph wand or to that effect. The click would then give our pets a random illusion using any monster model in the zone. It's an unnecessary step I know, but I also anticipate designers wanting to get this kind of stuff right.

There would be no need to give the summoned wand a stupidly long recast time. If it is given a long recast time I will not use it, and it will render the entire exercise pointless as I'm sure many would agree. Charges are ok as long as we can summon another wand right away. This is again unnecessary, but it's a similar story with mod rods...
  12. Voragath Augur

Oh, nice idea! Or, easier, just change the spell flavor to read, "xxx summons a random_monster_1001" when you cast the illusion.