User Interface is Archaic...C'mon, it's 2015

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by EQJunkie76, Feb 24, 2015.

1. EQJunkie76 Journeyman

So I know it's like beating a dead horse with topics like this...but man, each time I come back to this game the UI just *feels* and *screams* old. I mean, look at the glaring difference between the maps in EQ1 and EQ2 - Yes, the game engine is vastly different, but man...Some similarity would be nice, and some updating. Can the DEVS give a *realistic* answer/reason, in detail, why the UI can't be updated to reflect the year 2015 comparatively with other games? And also keep in mind that the EQ2 map still isn't even

EQ1: http://imgur.com/5C8G57z,fFhIi2j#0

EQ2: http://imgur.com/5C8G57z,fFhIi2j#1

And let's explore what a game like Rift provides compared to EQ1...Sure, it's a game, still, to this day, riddled with FPS issues even on high-end gaming rigs, so it's not perfect either...But it's updated...to 2015 standards...It's LIGHT-YEARS better, cleaner, more advanced, than the EQ1 or even the EQ2 clients...

Rift: http://imgur.com/CYgAkKF

So why...tell me why...can't the game we love to play, and you want us to keep paying $15/month for, provide a new/improved game engine to improve things like this....

I just don't get it...
  2. Vanrau Augur

It's simply because they have hardly anyone left on the EQ development team. Layoff after layoff over the years at SOE and then Daybreak has left them next to no resources to develop the game. Smedley pulling people off the team to develop new projects as well. People asking for game engine changes and other massive changes are living in a dream world. If you think TDS was a small expansion, just wait until you see the next expansion.
  3. Benzarden Augur

That EQ1 map tells me a whole lot more than that EQ2 map you linked.
    Beimeith likes this.
  4. SaderakhBertox Augur

Well the point of the EQ1 system is so players can make their own maps and edit in whatever they want using a simple system editing a text file.
  5. Fenudir Augur

For one thing, the devs don't provide maps for the game. They haven't in years. The maps that we get now are painstakingly done by other players who then graciously share them with the rest of the community.

Also, EQ maps are completely customizable - the Rift maps are not (I can't speak for EQ2).
    Aanuvane, Yinla and Beimeith like this.
  6. Silv Augur

The EQ map was the vastly superior example and that is because we have the option to use player-made maps. The Rift map was an overworld map; that is already in EQ but it's just not as pretty graphics depending on your art style preference.

Bundling the entire "UI" as "archaic" in your topic line is a pretty big stretch when you're only complaining about maps here (and then depending who you ask, EQ has the best maps in this example).

Does your example, "Rift", allow players to use player-made UI elements? Compared to a lot of games, EQ allows a ton of player-made mods. It certainly doesn't beat every game and there is definitely room for improvement (if you haven't done any UI customization of your own) but the UI is hardly a major flaw - the current default presentation/layout when starting as a new player is the issue.
    Fenudir and Beimeith like this.
  7. Lighteningrod Augur

I made a Guild Wars 2 map mod with the quest points, named, etc. It was disaster of a project compared to added a label to the EQ map or modifying the EQ UI .xml.

Regarding the EQ map specifically, the only thing missing is more layer options. I much prefer EQ's map customization to any other in game map I've experienced.
  8. Nolrog Augur

If you don't like the default UI, you can always go to EQInterface.com and find one that you like better.
    Silv, Aanuvane and Caixaa like this.
  9. EQJunkie76 Journeyman

I've read and can see your side of the argument regarding the customization options that the EQ1 map provides, and that's certainly a positive, so that's not lost on me. Regarding the UI customization and what not, yes, I see that side as well - but keep in mind we're all veterans of the game and biased.

What I'm asking is that the DEV Team take a look a this from a "new player" perspective - Not only new players coming from existing MMO's, but also those who've never played an MMO before and they heard EverQuest was really cool and wanted to try.

I'd recommend this scenario for the DEV Team... Grab a Joe & Jane Schmoe and pull them into the office; One who's never played EQ before but has other MMOs, and also one who's never played an MMO before. Have the DEV team sit with them while they start level 1 characters - and start to collect raw feedback right there and see where things go while the experience the game for the first 10 levels or so.

My opinion is that we, and the DEV team, tend to only look at things from a "biased" POV - but if you do that, you're truly limiting the critical feedback from an audience that you really need going forward.
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  10. guado Augur

You think they need to update the game engine to provide "prettier maps?"

"Hey look, a fly, grab the rocket launcher!"

I just don't get it...
  11. EQJunkie76 Journeyman

T
    The maps were just an example...In my original post, I clearly stated that the "game UI feels old", which is broad based, not just focused on the maps.