Quick update for EQ!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Feb 13, 2015.

1. RangerDanger#1 Lorekeeper

No, I read it fine. I explained it further a few posts later. We've been told many things in the past year that turned out not to be what was expected.
    I hope I'm wrong. I love the game. But I'm very leery of corporate speak.
  2. Myric New Member

- The exp nerf is hindering. Why punish players for actually wanting to better their characters? I understand you want us to jump into the newer expansion, but we can't get there without actually being the right level/aa to do so.

- TDS expansion would be better off if ( as suggested already ) all zones were open without progression locking. What if progression locking was tied into HA's? Each progression zone unlocked would allow players whom have earned HA currency to purchase gear off the tiered group vendor depending on what is locked/opened instead.

- HA lockouts. Why? If someone wants to run a HA over and over, how is that affecting anyone besides the player whom will get bored and maybe do some other HA?
    Lisandra likes this.
  3. Ratbo Peep Augur

I find that post encouraging. :)
    Just tell us what you can - when you can.
    We see right through corporate double-speak and marketing BS.
    As you know, this an an older wizened player-base.
    We know the game - you know the game -Now let's do this! :)
    -Rat
    PS: And for Cod's sake - please reverse (or mitigate) the PR blunders.
    Yinla, Lisandra and Rezmatez like this.
  4. Smokn Augur

i remember a lot of people because it was hard.....and i also remember 45 guilds NOT beating the last raid befor the next expansion went live.....HARD MODE YES PLZ!
    Melanippe and Finen like this.
  5. Smokn Augur

forget spreading out expacs, all at once or bust
    Melanippe likes this.
  6. Roxxanna Augur

No
    Battleaxe and Lisandra like this.
  7. Smokn Augur

im sorry you like easy mode eq...i like a challenge
    Melanippe, Rotlust and Kiillz like this.
  8. Uxtalzon Augur

Is this the "Holly Windstalker" from EQ2 or something? Or a whole new person?

Then don't be in a guild that's already beaten all of TDS.
  9. Roxxanna Augur

I fail to see how making the game harder, because you like a challenge, is going to make it better for everyone else. You want a challenge? Post something constructive.
    Mintalie, Imrahil and Lisandra like this.
  10. Kravitz Augur

I don't. How many times will us, the players, be let down by words of enthusiasm to be flipped around for another cash grab. I totally disagree, the majority of the player base has not wizened up at all, they'll fall for yet another easy money grab, only to be let down again.

Because 95% of the player base is existing players or returning players, who want to believe, and keep believing the game will go uphill. Its exactly like an addiction, believing you can quit yet keep coming back for more. Lets all first admit that before we can move forward as a playerbase:D

I read on the forums or ingame-chat, all the time "I'm going to quit because..." of the silliest thing or even for a good reason, only to see those players return again.

The biggest problem EQ faces is the dwindling population, and the only thing that can fix that is if you have new players (not returning players) coming in, but they refuse to invest in fixing that, and the only thing that can fix that the best is new character models, as well as better zone graphics. That would be a huge source of revenue for the game, but the EQ team doesn't believe in going down that route, because they are to short sighted on a easy money grab each quarter.

They make more of Marketplace then off expansions currently. If they really want to fuel Marketplace even more they need new character models, so that it can open the way for more cosmetic/fluff that they can sell in Marketplace. But the vision is to short-sighted even though the revenue from this game has helped develop many of their other games, some of which have been sunset already.

Notice why there wasn't too many lay-offs from EQ1 compared to other departments? They are in the positive revenue by a considerable amount compared to the other departments, with the exception being Planetside.

Smedley has ruined the company financial for the last several years now, going off on tangent ideas when he should have stuck with the games that were generating revenue and refining them more, instead he used up all the resources on flaky projects like Free Realms. If there is one person that should have been on that list of lay-offs, it should have been Smedley.

If you care to read more about the financial mistakes of the company led by Smed, see this:

http://eq2wire.com/2015/02/12/opinion-on-daybreak-games-it-didnt-have-to-be-this-way/
  11. Slasher Augur

No, but zone creation does. Were you not in the ROF betas and COTF ones where the zones for the next expansion were already in the game or started ?
  12. Slasher Augur

It won't its been proven when they make the game harder less people play. He's in the minority and refuses to accept that.
    Lisandra likes this.
  13. Meandoggreendog New Member

Don't kill my monkey! I want to play and the damn thing isn't working. Was the new company name "Daybreak" or was it "Gamebreak"? Rawwwwrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
  14. Khat_Nip Meow

Exactly. Posts that include things like, "We want..." are blatantly misrepresenting what stuff everyone or even the majority would like to see added or changed.
    There have been a number of suggestions that imply 'everyone' wants this or that changed that I don't agree with so that's certainly not 'we'.
  15. Iila Augur

Making textures, models, and zones falls under art. That should be starting or underway around now.
    Content is NPCs, quests, raids, and other things to fill and use the zones. That should be starting in a few months. Not counting the design docs that guided the art team and had rough ideas for what would be filling the zones.
    Lisandra likes this.
  16. Rotlust Augur

"no" was constructive?
    Momentum likes this.
  17. Dubbo New Member

First things first, EverQuest is a monumental game that has played a major role in shaping the current gaming culture. Much like a heritage site, I hope that this game can be preserved, and further developed, for future generations to discover and enjoy the same way I did nearly 16 years ago.

Below are a few things I'd like to see happen with the game. Some of them are controversial, but my intention is not to start a flame war. Instead it is to put some ideas out there for the developers to consider, per Holly's request (or at least how I interpreted what she said).
    • In Game:
      • Optimized for better performance with newer technology.
      • Optimized UI. Reduce window bloat and provide a more complete default setup that will not confuse or overwhelm new players.
      • Streamline / Consolidate AA. 54 ranks of Combat Agility? Why not 10 and make them mean something and feel more rewarding? "But our CA goes to 11..." .
      • Improved new player experience that puts emphasis back on racial cities and lore.
      • EQ2 style mentoring / chronomagic.
      • Rewards for players that mentor new, lower level, players.
      • Remove or update systems that have not been kept up to date. Exmaple: Spirit Shrouds.
      • Guild Type - Progression. Instead of dealing with cries for the deployment of new Time Locked progression servers, bake progression flags into this guild type. Include "reset progression option."
    • Account Flags
      • Unlimited Veteran character flags for accounts, that at any point, were subscribed for two consecutive years.
      • Allow accounts with five or more consecutive years subscription maintain gold perks for a short time if the account lapses to silver. Something like 1 month "gold grace period" for each year sub'd beyond five years. (note: five years was arbitrarily chosen.)
    • Outside Game
      • EQPlayers. Bring it back.
      • Player Leaderboards. Track player kills, player deaths, phat lewts, mounts, boss kills, raid clears, clear times for raids / HA's, and so on.
      • Guild Leaderboards. See above.
    For now that is the extent of the ideas that have popped into my head while playing. I'm sure someone will take the time to tell me how impossible some of them are, but Holly did not ask for us to debate what was impossible or not impossible for the team. Instead she asked us to talk about what we would like to see happen to our beloved characters, the community, and the world. Which is exactly what this halfling druid has just done.
    Muuadib, Sita, LS_Xegony_Dru and 2 others like this.
  18. Numiko Augur

maybe they should revive the old poll feature to find out what the majority of players in EQ would like to see improved in the game so they can spend their time on making changes most players want instead of just the few who read and post on forums.
  19. Mayfaire Augur

Exactly this. I just finished reading every post in this long thread, and I have seen people say "make it harder like it used to be", and others say "oh god, TDS is way too hard, make it easier". I have seen "we want moar progression servers stat!" and "please, no more progression servers". There is no way to please everyone. About the only request that seems near universal is to remove the exp nerfs (which I personally don't care about one way or the other).

Personally, speaking for myself and myself only, all of this change has unnerved me. All I ask is that Everquest stay open, and that we get a new expansion sometime in the fall. :rolleyes:
  20. Warpeace Augur

Another dead Horse
    Why would EQ waist money and resources when you can easily go use Magelo either paid or free? If you haven't used it try it. There are already sites out there way better than what some older parts of the game were able to produce and EQPlayers is a great example. Yes EQPlayers was part of the game and enjoyed by people when it worked but its been gone how long?

If that's the case they should buy out and include Magelo for player ranking, Game Parse so you know how much DPS you or slackers in your group and guild are doing and Gina for in game triggers. Then again they are already free for players to download and use.
    Rhaage, Melanippe and Lisandra like this.