DD vs. Dots, Beastlord

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Romance, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Stubar Augur

My bad, just dug up the parse, I did use BL, however I did use 2HB on that fight. I'll dig it up and pull out that damage (didn't even consider it tbh--Gelid Claw would have only fired off of a skill hit) and post the correct dps. Pew pew
  2. Gatash Lorekeeper

The suggestion I made could only work on the start of the fight; a one-off. You would need 5 hotkeys. Your keys would be:

1. Nukes
    2. Feral swipe
    3. Bite of the asp (or) gorilla smash
    4a. DoT + Beastial Evulsing Rk. III + Tempest of Claws Rk. III + Maul Rk. III + Roaring Strike
    4b. Beastial Evulsing Rk. III + Tempest of Claws Rk. III + Maul Rk. III + Roaring Strike + Kick

Under the hypothetical system, you would only use hotkey 4a at the very start of the fight and then switch to hotkey 4b for the remainder. You'd sacrifice the kick on the first spam. At the very start of the fight, do you constantly spam number 4 hotkey until all skills have fired and then go to alternating, or are you always alternating between 1 and 4? If you do the former, my logic would be that in the time it takes for 4a to be emptied (all of the skills tied to that hotkey would be refreshed at the start of combat) when considering the small server lag, you might have negated enough of the global cooldown to make casting the first DoT somewhat comparable to the cast time of a nuke.

For example, if I want to automate the hotkey to fire 5 melee skills, I need a /pause 3 between each command to be absolutely sure that the hotkey doesn't run faster than the server/my system. Perhaps yours would be faster as I'm on a laptop on a bog-standard connection. But if yours was comparable, that hotkey would take 1.2 seconds to fire 5 skills. Then you'd only have 0.3 seconds left of the global cooldown, which is less than the cast time of a nuke. Even when you work without /pause commands, you'd likely have to slow down the button mashing or mash many times in order to empty your number 4 hotkey as there would be mis-fires?

Hopefully that makes my idea clearer. As I said, it really was a hypothetical scenario in which you might be able to squeeze a little extra damage out. It might not be worth the effort or any knock-on impact, but I guess it's more for curiosity.

EDIT: Or, if you do not normally mash hotkey 4 to completion at the start, maybe do 1, 2, 3, 4a, 4a, 4a, 4a, 4a, 1, 1, 2 (if using Frenzied swipes), then back to a normal rotation? Basically, just taking advantage of the fact that all melee skills are up at the start of the fight and dumping them during DoT cooldown.
  3. Iila Augur

Multibinds are not social hotkeys, Romance isn't a box and doesn't use socials for raid dps.

Multibinds are multiple spells/abilities bound to one key, in a priority order. So when you press the key, the best available spell/ability fires. He spams 4 keys and some of those keys function as another 2-4 keys.
  4. Terroz New Member

My question to anyone who doesn't agree with this - Do you use socials with pauses, or do you use a proper multi-bind setup (spam keys)?
    It is my feeling that anyone who is seeing positive results with DoTs in their lineup either does not have a parser running, or has not been able to maximize their nuke and combat ability DPS because of a less than ideal multi-bind system.
    I don't mean to come off as insulting to anyone, but I feel like anyone who has thoroughly tested and examined the parse data and came up with a conclusion that DoTs improve DPS most likely made a mistake in achieving their non-DoT parse.
    With Romance and Stubar both involved in this discussion, I highly recommend you try their setup before countering with one you think might be superior.
  5. Gatash Lorekeeper

Apologies, I wasn't suggesting that he sits and waits for an automated key to fire all skills loaded on using /pause. The example with /pause was to say that there is still a small lag on firing "instant" skills back-to-back (at least for me), which can be demonstrated with an automated hotkey, whereby too short a pause between activations will result in some skills not firing. If I had a robotic hand that could spam a single multibind key 50 times a second, I think it unlikely that the first 4 or 5 hits of the key could have fired all the skills on it.

If you add up all the small pauses necessary to empty the melee key (assuming all were waiting to be fired) and subtract that from the global cooldown on the DoT that you make top priority on that key, you might be able to negate a lot of what is currently regarded as wasted time. For me, that pause on average is slightly more than 0.2 seconds per skill, which would mean a minimum of 0.8 seconds to empty that key. If I were to then follow that up with the Feral Swipe and Asp keys, I might have been able to slip a DoT into the rotation with no real disruption, by fixing the order that I mash the keys at the start of the fight.
  6. Gatash Lorekeeper

I don't use DoTs in my setup and I am not advocating using them. However, Romance started this thread and stated that he wanted to see if there was any possibility of them being useful. As he is interested in parsing all possible combinations, I gave a scenario in which you might get a very limited gain at the start of the fight. I also used the caveat that it might not provide any gains; he is free to test it or ignore at his leisure.
  7. Terroz New Member

I was under the impression that he had completed the testing before making his original post and was informing the BST community of his conclusion. My apologies if I was mistaken.
    Stubar likes this.