New armor ORNAMENTS on raid vendor... seriously?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raynrace, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Edrick Augur

Are you a gimmick poster? You always have such a high opinion of yourself.
    Elricvonclief and Lily like this.
  2. Issk Journeyman

Yep, dumb move, SoE. If you have access to raid currency , you can't imagine any serious raiding guild would put up with their players spending currency on looks over substance... Make these items more accessible via a quest or much cheaper via raid currency.
    Saave and Lisandra like this.
  3. Battleaxe Augur

Reward - Bilbo loots Sting from a troll hoard (Bilbo receives a war trophy)
    Character development - Sting makes future challenges easier. EQ, unlike non-repeatable narratives like The Hobbit, has such rewards also make already beaten challenges made easier. <- Also consistent with a character development game.

Some classes are sufficiently gear dependent that "why do you need new gear?" isn't a reasonable question.

You haven't raided in awhile. You are probably unaware that even caster DPS classes which stand back from the mobs and nuke in relative safety don't ride coattails any more. There hasn't been 35 core players plus 19 random players since SoD. It's more like 10 super stars and 44 VERY competent veteran raiders now. There's no room for a bunch of semi-AFK coattail riders. Please consult the Raid Guild Progression Chart for confirmation.

I gots Dark Elf Plate so I don't look like a hobo to those that have Hero's Forge armor tuned on. Good enough for me. Hopefully those attaching great value to ornaments will have both exclusivity and ready access for those deserving those rewards satisfied.
    SaderakhBertox likes this.
  4. Silentchaos Augur

Heros forge is ugly. Luclin models are ugly.
    Perplexed likes this.
  5. Cicelee Augur

Casters are not as gear dependent as tanks, definitely. And one robe ornamentation covers up all the other ornamentations with the exception of helm, gloves and boots; however most of boots are covered, and gloves are so small you barely see them. Which means a caster really only needs to get robe and helm, and they are 90% complete.

I agree that 250 per piece is very steep, especially if they do not drop in raid chests. And unless the robe costs 1000, it is not fair to non robe wearers that they have to spend a lot more for a full ornamentation set. And anyone who uses their currency on ornamentations before they upgrade main/essential/necessary piece should be reprimanded or removed. Heck if I bought a robe graphic before a pet focus earring I should be deleted :)

However, let's be honest about one thing- many players want to look and be different than the rest, to make them stand out above all others. Whether that is having a super rare illusion, or a mount very few have, or dressing up your character in the newest ornamentation (remember Sol Dal initially?)... people want to look different. And if I was in a position where I already had my TDS necessities (pet earring, arms, legs, shoulders) and essentials (chest, head, feet, face, neck, KoTP ring, 2h weapon, range).... and no one else on the server had a raid robe ornamentation, I would not lie to say I would at least *think* of buying a robe ornamentation instead of 150 h/m/e for gloves.

Of course I have not looted a TDS raid item yet. So I don't have to worry about that :)
  6. Romance Augur

I'd be ok with 50-70 each, one piece per week. 250 just seems like yet another attempt to slow things down, so not only can we no longer rely on currency to gear up, we can't even waste it on cosmetic purposes at less than a mind numbing rate.
    Lisandra and Savager like this.
  7. Jiggs Elder

Yet another poor decision on game design for TDS.

hashtag getaclue
    Ratbo Peep, Lisandra and Silv like this.
  8. Battleaxe Augur

I personally would have perfered an ornament dropping in raids for every visible armor piece that dropped. Make them no drop and it would be a bit difficult to justify awarding them to people who weren't looting the armor. Do that and players might buy (some) armor with currency but they aren't going to buy a lot appearance prestige with currency if vendor prices are high enough.

Poor decision?

Look up "Veblen good". The trophy is not necessarily the appearance (although appearance is a major factor) - it's also what you pay for the item. IMO attending a raid and looting an item out of a dead mob's hands (after accumulating enough DKP or AP to be allowed this privilege) > buying something on the cheap from an LDoN-style currency vendor.

Yep the difference between raid currency and DKP/AP is paper thin but your guild awards you mob looting rights (recognition by your guildmates). That's different than receiving an item from an NPC vendor robot (who doesn't even say, "Thank you for shopping at Lewts R' Us!").

SOE has clue. MAYBE a better clue than people who've not heard of "Veblen good". The objection seems to be that they have a different clue. People are entitled to their opinions, but so is SOE.

Prestigious and easily accessible are mutually exclusive.
  9. Jiggs Elder

It's a dang ornament and should be available for everyone who plays... not just raiders.

And especially for that much raid coin.

IMO .. bad design choice. (no matter what anyone says)
    Lisandra likes this.
  10. Silv Augur

So, ages ago they went out of their way to make sure augs were never locked behind raids again (because it really wasn't fair) but now they lock ornaments behind raids... logic wru?

Okay- if EZmode is making them a reasonable price then keep it a ridiculous amount of raid currency (personally I think it's too much but whatever). However, groupers should also have the option to obtain it somehow. Let people purchase it with a stupid number of Po8. Or we all just wait till it's in the marketplace.
    Lisandra likes this.
  11. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I don't raid anymore, but I remember the good old days when a complete set of the same color armor was an unreached goal of the vast majority of players. Back then, raiders got their own colors, unobtainable by non-raiders. You could thus spot a raider just by their look. I don't see why that should be different today.

When the next set of super-cool, beautiful raid ornaments becomes available, maybe then they can release these sets to the hoi polloi via SC or whatever, but not before.
  12. Ratbo Peep Augur

Those were the days before dye.......... :)

-R
  13. Garanle Elder

I assume that would be after you get the different pieces for your new spell focuses since your DPS for the new raids will be less than anyone of your class that gets the gear over your ornaments. Oh and if you were melee it would be unwise to miss out on cleave or other adder gear. Choosing an Ornament in a raid guild today over the dps enhancements from gear will get your status downgraded. With all the videos and each guild having a set DPS guide for their classes thinking your "caliber" matters is off.

The op has a point, putting these on a raid vendor for so much reminds me of the VoA Raid Vendor selling similar items. I would love for them to post how many of these actually get sold over the length of the expansion.
  14. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

15. Dueceduece Lorekeeper

Will sell new ornaments on povar, 5 million plat each piece just send in game message =)
    Lisandra likes this.
  16. Roshen Brand Manager

17. Edrick Augur

18. Issk Journeyman

Iksar in plate Thaell Ew plate. Actually did a nice job on Iksars this time around.

[IMG]
    roguerunner, Lisandra, Gnuff and 4 others like this.
  19. Gnuff Journeyman

So....
    The augments are are tradeable?
    The augments can be sold back to the raid vendor for currency?
    The raid currency is effectively tradeable?

Was this what was intended?
  20. Riou EQResource

Doubt that's intended lol