Briny?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bart, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Bart Journeyman

I was wondering what was the deal with Briny drops? I am disabled and do not work and spend most of my time playing EQ. That being said, I have put in HOURS upon HOURS of killing named and trash mobs and doing missions, upwards of 10-12 hours a day sense TDS came out and have not seen one briny drop of any level. Are they that rare or am i just that unlucky? something needs to change about the drop rate, anything.
  2. Fnyanea Augur

They do seem to be VERY rare, but I think you must have also been unlucky...
    Qest T. Silverclaw likes this.
  3. Sklak Journeyman

Very low drop rates, and unclear if all mobs can drop spells or not (very hard to tell given the ultra low drop rates), e.g. I wouldn't be overly surprised if most of the fast-repopping quest mobs have 0 chance to drop.

First 1,000 trash kills after finishing progression (pre-patch), saw just over 50 loot dropping named, and saw 8 spells total (1/333 trash drop rate, and 1/10 on named).

Last 1,000 trash kills in T3 (mostly since last patch) only seen 30 named, and grand total of 4 spells, 3 median & 1 glowing. (1/500 trash drop rate, and 1/15 on named). Had streaks of 50 & 40 PH's in a row without seeing a named also.
  4. Edrick Augur

Even though the drop rate on these really, really sucks, I have to admit... I was actually excited when I managed to loot one off a named. Everquest hasn't surprised me like that lately. Is this the definition of Stockholm Syndrome?
  5. Stickietoes Augur

???????????????????????, but seriously... they are too rare for such a small upgrade
  6. Melanippe Augur

Making spell drops exceptionally rare would be a good way to extend the life of a mini-expansion, no? ;)
  7. Riou EQResource

Spell prices are already dieing down pretty hard, probably within a week or 2 they will be sub RoF prices, and there is still like 10 months left of TDS at least :p
  8. silku Augur

I'm disabled as well and do not work. I'd imagine I've put in about a quarter of the time you've put in though and have seen 3 drop. Now only one of them went to me but in the time I went from no exp in TDS to partisan/merc/hero completed in Tempest, Katta, Brother Island, and almost finished in Degmar; I've seen a 101, 103, and 105 drop. (All off trash mobs.)
  9. Kravitz Augur

I don't own TDS, and I've seen about 15-17 briny spells land into my inventory:D. And I flipped them all for 10-30x more profit then what I payed for them in buyer.
    Qest T. Silverclaw likes this.
  10. CoN Recruiter New Member

I have completely done Tempest, Katta, Brothers and Caverns all partisan, Missions and Merc task ( several times as Ive taken fellowship members through them) Also have done the first Partisan and all Merc Tasks in Degmar Have Hunters completed in Brothers and 1 Kill away in Caverns and I have seen absolutely no spell drops. I have gained well over 1k AA from killing trash in these zones and Zero Spell Drops. So yes the drop rate is Incredibly low.
  11. Sostenes Augur

Its been my experience to loot one or two everyday (level 101 to 104, no level 105 yet).

I actually sell them. Don't care for them. Sold the first briny's I looted for 750k in late October, been selling them for about 300 to 400k now in late November.

RkII spells are overrated, they really don't do that much more damage or benefit than regular vendor bought spells. The drop rate is fine, why ask for "easy mode", if you want a RkII spell so bad, farm plat and buy them, farm nameds and be ECSTATIC when you get one, isn't that a lot better than actually deleting RkII spells because of their high drop rate and low bazaar worth?

I delete dream fragments, alaran cantrips and sometimes even dreadmotes to make room for more valuable things.

Sostenes
  12. Sancus Augur

Eh; I see where you're coming from, Rank II's are only a 5% increase. That being said, isn't everything fairly minor at this point? How much is a new piece of gear? Or a new aug? Unless you're going from group to raid gear, or you have really old gear, there isn't much in the way of huge upgrades at this point. Isn't it kind of the idea to strive for that slight edge to improve your character?

Edit: On the topic of drop rate, I have to disagree. We aren't asking for easy mode. There is absolutely nothing challenging about camping named mobs for days on end, it's just freaking boring. Unless you spend all your time camping named, I think you've been exceptionally lucky drop rate wise. I'm somewhere around 8 hours of named camping per spell, and I've seen maybe 8 spells since expansion release, and from what I've heard I'm lucky. In that time I've completed all progression (still haven't done merc quests), leveled to 105, and have spent countless hours camping named. If the Rank I's I had were an increase over the Rk. IIIs I already had, I'd be more content. At this point, they just aren't. So I need Rk. IIs to get an upgrade spell-wise, and I'm getting a bit tired of camping. I'd really rather have them come somewhat more frequently, as it's just a drag at this point.
  13. Sostenes Augur

Keep striving, keep camping, get your spells.

Keep striving, farm plat, buy your spells.

Because if devs are making wishes come true. I would like 32 slot bags dropping more frequently, but, that isn't happening either lol

More game play = more $$$ for SOE

Less big bag drops = more $$$ for SOE and their infamous big bag sales lol

Just saying.

Sostenes
  14. Sancus Augur

I apologize, I suppose I was unclear. I have all of the Rk. II spells that are particularly useful at this point, mostly because I hoard platinum. I don't represent the majority. If anyone has lower play time than I do, or plays with an actual group, they will not be getting their Rk. IIs in a reasonable amount of time. I especially dislike policies that discourage grouping, like these. As I've said, these named aren't a challenge by any stretch of the imagination. A full group ends up being punished, and the low drop rate significantly worsens this issue. I really don't see a good reason why these should be so difficult to come by. Does that mean the devs will change it? No, but I think this is more relevant than big bags (and we know that directly makes them money).
  15. Sostenes Augur

I need big bags and that is very relevant to me.Without having to pay 75 bucks to SOE.

You can get RkI spells for next to nothing from a merchant, just like you can buy 8-slot backpacks for next to nothing. Big bags hardly ever drop and are sold in bazaar for 1 million pp in my server (32-slot) (28-slot 500k) (350k 24-slot), Just like briny hardly ever drop and are sold for a lot of pp in bazaar as well.

In that logic, SOE could sell a full set of RkII spells for folks who want them so badly for 75 bucks per toon, just like they sell big bags for those who want them badly and don't want to grind for them or players can continue to grind for briny and get them slowly and free as they have been doing thus far. Just like big bag farming.

Sostenes

P.S. If anyone is feeling generous and wants to parcel me some 32 slot bags, I'm in Cazic server, but really, send me bags.