Why do you call them namers?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lisandra, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Lisandra Augur

I've seen some people popularize "acheesements" but that may just be the one guild as I've never seen anyone else anywhere else outside of that guild (Legions of Blackburrow on Test) say it.
  2. Unpleasant Journeyman

To OP, namer has been a term around on Nameless for as long as I can remember, later to be Vengeful horrible woman, I mean Erollisi Marr. We also like bg (bad game, bad luck), kekeke, lala, among other things. It may have originated out of laziness, but honestly I prefer to use namer over named, rare, boss. Not every namer is necessarily rare, or a boss, or have a very proper name for that matter. Some namers had some very ambiguous names, like an elite honor guard, a ghoul cavalier. Unique mobs sure, but hardly given a proper name or a special name of their own.

For awhile I actually thought there was a difference between namer and named, or there should at least have been one. Granted there was another time someone said My Name < RNG , and I took it to mean I tanked worse than a ranger, cursed quite a storm at them not knowing they actually meant Random Number Generator.

Anyways, I think namer and deeps should replace the former proper terms really. And not just for nostalgia sake, they are easier to say, and namer goes plural so much better than Named. No, the terms people should actually be getting frustrated at are ones like these:

grats (often grsta or gstar or however the lazy term is lazily mistyped)
    gj (good job)

Yea, hooray for your achievements, or whatever you just said in general or guild or whatever, but it isn't quite enough to warrant me typing more than 1 word, and a poor shortening of the the word too. Cool story bro at least has more effort put into it than these horrible things. Or could be a true gamer/nerd and use terms like:

You are winner!
    Congraturations!
    Congraturation, This Story is Happy End. Thank You.
  3. Gialana Augur

It's funny "PST" was brought up. In my early years of EQ, I thought people saying, "Looking for group. PST," were indicating they were in Pacific Standard Time to give potential group mates an indication of how much longer they might be online for grouping pleasures.
  4. FcsevenXIII Augur

I'm just happy twink and ping went out of style.
    Lisandra likes this.
  5. Janakin Augur

You do know where the term "mob" comes from right? Kind of silly to use that term and then wonder why people use a funny term for rare spawn named mobiles ;)
  6. Lisandra Augur

Bad trolling for the loss!
  7. wiseguy Apprentice

Some lamers on The Rathe also say "wootah".
    Go on a raid with some of these people and the chats are filled with wootah every time something happens. I was always asking what it meant, but like most people from other games, they think they set a standard and everyone else is lame if they don't follow suit.
  8. Greymantle Augur

Heh , never heard the term namers, named yes. It is shorthand for named Non player character. Or named NPC. These 'mobs' traditonaly are local boss mobs .Just like 'mob', that goes way back to a short version of mobile non player character.

Every game has it's own language subset.
    Lisandra likes this.
  9. Jaerlyn Augur

10. Greymantle Augur

I seem to recall someone making an EQ dictionary of 'common' slang terms with their meenings. Was a good number of years ago, but might be around.
  11. gcubed Augur

I seem to remember that a 'mob' was originally a 'MOb' (Mobile Object). This seems likely (although not certain) considering the OOP language EQ was developed with and the fact that spell checkers will automagically turn 'MOb' into 'mob' if you let them.

Also, legend has it that Scruffy was the first MOb in EQ. If this is indeed a fact, I wonder why there has never been a Fabled Scruffy.
    Lisandra likes this.
  12. Unpleasant Journeyman

Post actually wasn't meant as that, is my actual thoughts on the matter, sorry you feel that it is.
  13. Lisandra Augur

Maybe I just misunderstood or misread it & took it wrong in which case I apologize.