TDS is boring, tedious and no fun

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by stuermchen, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Sancus Augur

Elegist, as much as I dislike the hailing system, I really do appreciate that you clearly communicated what happened. I also love the lore, btw!
    Lisandra likes this.
  2. Elegist Elder

This quest initially had more aspects to it... certainly more than one mob kill. But what I had planned to do would have taken too much time, and I elected to cut down the quest but leave the story intact.

The progression quests were a balancing act of telling the story and adding in all the various gameplay elements in the time allotted. The progression quests and missions weren't as complete, technically svelte, and mechanically varied as I had hoped to make them, but sometimes things have to be cut, and you have to make sacrifices.

I do appreciate the feedback from everyone, both positive and negative. I'm glad people like the lore, and I wish I had been able to get it to you in a format that didn't annoy some folks!
  3. Axxius Augur

I have a feeling that this whole expansion initially had a lot more content planned than it ended up released with...
    Kaenneth, Geroblue, Lisandra and 3 others like this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I do like the lore but it would be nice if there was a bypass option or the lore went to tells instead of /say. When several people are at the npc at the same time is hard to read the lore as its spammed by all.
  5. lancelove Augur

I have been playing every expansion since 99'. This one I did not opt to play in the beta, and for once I am not guilded, so I new nothing really about the content or quests or mobs. Other than power leveling myself to 105 before diving into the new zones I went in blind. I wanted to see if it still had that old school feel and you know what...so far it does. At least on the solo/group level. I'll pick up raiding again after I end Arx and will check back with my opinion on the raid end of it! Good luck and HAVE FUN!
  6. Blademaster Elder

Unfortunately most of those items are still behind HA in the form of currency :(
  7. Blademaster Elder

I for one am not, I heard the expansion released and got excited, read up and saw they took what I consider the worst of COTF and made it even worse. Only reason I'm on the forum is I'm hoping to see changes but I'll soon give up and maybe check back next expansion release.
  8. Nenton Augur

Unless there's a change to the missions to put chests back into them there's no reason to spend any time changing the hailing mechanic. The content won't be repeated without suitable rewards.

Our group is down to Dredge mission and Arx chain to finish the expansion's progression and we are still sitting at zero Rk. II spells despite all the nameds and trash we've killed. We would have had a minimum of 6 spells at this point had mission chests not inexplicably been removed from this expansion.
  9. stuermchen Elder

Since shield is the only item to get full AC bonus ?
  10. Battleaxe Augur

^ this. TDS is a whole lot like that which has preceded it. Any complaints seem to be cut and paste from comments made about previous expansions.

I'm told the lore is entertaining. There's lore????? I tell ya true - you can't point me (other people are different) at a directed play obstacle course, crack a whip at me backside, and have ANY reasonable expectation that I'll read the Burma Shave signs* as they blur past.

"Overslept, so tired."
    "If late, get fired."
    "Why bother, why the pain?"
    "Just go home and log in again."
    - EverQuest

( *Roadside advertising signs from ~1930-1960)

Sometimes when I think developers are somewhat disconnected and I find that amusing I glimpse my reflection and realize players can be even "worse". SOE employees are paid/making a living for delivering entertainment. And I (a person who is paying to be entertained) run right past a storyteller without giving him a second glance. <- something not right there somewheres.
    Garshok likes this.
  11. FawnTemplar Augur

I too love the lore and hope that a NPC to disperse it can be added. Another thing I love is that as far as I can tell the raiding is not just a amped up version of the group missions. While I kinda miss getting a sneak peak of the raids, I actually like it better that they are completely new.
  12. Sostenes Augur

Perhaps a "skip" button for the folks that don't care for the lore would be appropriate? that way they could simply click skip and run to finish their progression?

It's a pain for players that are not interested in reading the lore to have to hail an NPC repeatably until an update occurs as much as it is a pain for players who are interested in reading the lore to have to deal with a scrolling chat window that says hail hail hail hail hail hail.

So its a fail / fail lol :p

Sostenes
    Lisandra likes this.
  13. Maeryn Augur

Next time let us know the story in a Dec/Jan/Mar website article and work on the quest.
    Lisandra likes this.
  14. blood & gufts Augur

Have to say as the knight said in Indiana Jones when the person chose the not so good chalice: You choose wrongly! ;-)
    Lisandra likes this.
  15. stuermchen Elder

just another thing - every ph has a chance to spawn a named - seems in TDS the chance is all the same for all. So if you have 3 PHs the named will spawn much faster - contrary to have only 1 PH. And dont tell me otherwise we tested it since beta started and nameds like Chief Lib are a pain to get.
    Lisandra likes this.
  16. Dre. Altoholic

NPC says, 'Player, please help us defeat the invading army! We are all permarooted and non-combat flagged!'
    Player defeats invading army.
    NPC says, 'Take this item to better help us next time when your lockouts expire!'
    Duplicate lore items are not allowed.
    You have completed achievement: E23A14
    Lisandra likes this.
  17. Silv Augur

According to parses Staff Block (2hb) provided a better advantage over 1h + Shield even with Shield Block. That is where his comment about casters should use 2hb came from. How things are now with higher AC items and new ranks of Shield Block I have no idea. Personally, I still use 1h + Shield.

Good info to know.

And on the topic of TeDiouS as Axxius so eloquently put it previously :D... I originally was trying to move relatively quick through content after leveling but once I started in Degmar my motivation tanked because it just felt like a drag at that point. I've heard Arx and Dredge are better so I'll get there one day!

ps. I'm still confused about no chest drops, no spells for currency, no spell downgrades, and insane prices on T3 vendor items
    Marton and Lisandra like this.
  18. Natashia New Member

I have a couple ideas on improving hail spam from other nearby players. I don't know if they are feasible with respect to game programing/mechanics, so I'll describe each and consider them food for thought.

Idea #1:
    The hailed NPC knows who initiated the hail because, in the case of epic quests, the NPC is able to check the progression status of the PC's quest. So, the NPC could either respond directly to the PC or use the PC's name. For example, "NPCxyz says to you..." or "NPCxyz says to PCxyz..." This directed response could, hopefully, then be specifically color coded in the same way that NPC hit damage on a PC can be assigned a different color from hits on another PC. Thus, pertinent hail messages directed to me could be visually different from the spam.

Idea #2:
    The hailed NPC responds to me with "inform" (the inform being a new message type), instead of "say". For example, "NPCxyz informs you..." The NPC responds to other players using "say". The inform messages could then be filtered to a specific chat window, if the player desires.
  19. Tevik Augur

Poorly. He chose...poorly.