Increase in Stacking

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tmon, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Cloudia Augur

GAHHHHH!!! NO NO NO !
    You just suggested a way to make the problem worse! You increased the number of unique items by 2 per tier group at least plus the added slots taken by the bundler and snips.
    Iila likes this.
  2. Koryu Professional Roadkill

Err, no. The suggestion to combine TS items into piles reminds me of Diablo 2's augmentation system, where you collected a variety of gems at a variety of quality levels. You needed to fuse 3 Chipped Diamonds to make a Flawed Diamond, 3 Flawed to make a standard, etc. up until you finally created a Perfect rank of that diamond. If you ever played D2, you'd know how much space the multiple quality levels of those gems would take up in your already limited inventory. Tradeskillers are already claiming (and rightfully so) that their bank and personal inventory space is cramped with the current lower stack limits, so let's not exacerbate the problem with stuff like Pack of Exotic Pelts, Parcel of Exotic Pelts, Pile of Exotic Pelts, and Pallet of Exotic Pelts.
  3. Koneko Augur

you misunderstand what I was saying what I more meant is say take something like
    http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_item.php?item=2326
    and combine 5 http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_item.php?item=28824&menustr=035000000000
    to obtain the new item bundle of flawless pelt that would be like the old 10 dose shaman potions in the way of making space if people have 500 of the pelts you then turn that into 100 bundles and I am figuring the bundles would be stackable nothing like what your talking about with diablo 2 for upgrading gems
  4. Brohg Augur

No, YOU misunderstand. No one has exactly 500 pelts to turn into exactly 100 bundles. Leftovers remain in their own stack, so now you have a stack of base items and a stack of bundles, plus whatever tool you're proposing should take up more space. Go futz around with Chunks/bits/smalls/larges/bricks/blocks of Velium & Acrylia for a bit, or 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15 lb Tuna & Crab, before talking about how materials upcombining & downcombining is cool.

Your analogy of 10-dose potions is a great one, since it exposes just how bad this proposal is. 10-dosers eventually went away, so now 11 potions take up half the space, and 9 potions take up 1/9th the space. 19 potions? 1/10th the space, since the helpful space-saving combine died its timely death.
    Iila likes this.
  5. Iila Augur

That's at the completely wrong scale, too. I would say to drop a stack of 100 pelts into a tailoring kit, hit combine and get a stackable bundle of pelts. But EQ's TS system doesn't work that way. And at that point, why not just raise the stack amount instead of making new combines for the 15ish different types of cultural pelts, ores, silks, marrows, fluids and loams? Also, the time spent doing 20 combines per a stack of pelts would make that completely worthless.

The ones that stack to 100/200 aren't too bad, it's the ones that stack to 5/10/20, yet still need to be dealt with in the same amounts as the 100/200 stackers that cause storage problems.

If you want to store 500 combines for fletching, it's 500 tainted feathers and 500 fractured shards. Those each only stack to 20 for some reason. So you need 50 bank spaces for all that. While 500 combines worth of pelts/silks/ores/gems/dust only needs 5 bank spaces.
  6. Koneko Augur

7. Iila Augur

I posted my banks in that thread!

Take a look at what items are actually taking up huge amounts of space in their max stacks. Deux has a bunch of the alchemy stuff that does stack to 100, but most of the other SSes have tons of items that only go to 20. And Deux has that problem, too. Eggs, scale ore, fletching components, meats, foragables, the 1lb crab and fish crap, clays, velium, acrylia, bloods and various intermediate components should all stack to 100/200.

Making new combines for the 100/200 stack items is functionally the same as changing those stack maxes to 500/1000. And it's less time consuming to just allow the stack sizes to increase instead of adding tedium in packing and unpacking the item.
    Geroblue and Yinla like this.
  8. Fenudir Augur

I'd be willing to bet an icy cold beer that the limit was set to 255 at some point. :)
  9. Geroblue Augur

Short integer ? That might be it.
  10. roguerunner Augur

A short integer is -32767 to 32767 or 0 to 65535 I believe