Brother Island

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Uuvin, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Uuvin Augur

"sarcasm on"

The long range vision of the person who developed the brother island partisan task "Just Recompense" needs to be given a salary boost. Foraging - it took guts and imagination to come up with making us push a single button for a task update. And the diabolical brain realized that it is so much fun that after 3 hours of this fun.. we need 2 of them so we get to do it again. and then we have to move and do it again. My god the fun is so debilitating that after 30 minutes I need to take a break to let my heart and blood pressure come down. Kudos for figuring a way to make me spend the next 8 - 13 days here... foraging for fun.
  2. Espiritun Augur

That's what passes for content these days. You wanted more content so ENJOY

just another example of why we call it TeDiouS
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

TDS The Darn Speedbumps
  4. Axxius Augur

Forage is nothing compared to pushing the H button to get most of the task updates...

Code:
    /pause 30,/hail
    /pause 30,/hail
    /pause 30,/hail
    /pause 30,/hail
    /hail
    Although forage is more TDS than hailing because you have to wait 2 minutes for each try.
  5. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I put a movie on and clicked whenever I remembered. 48 Forages (under 2 hours if you're paying attention) later I was done.

The only thing that bothered me about this was that Forage is an "Alternate" ability that I didn't want to take because it doesn't suit my character in a roleplaying sense. If he needed something Foraged, he'd Charm a 0.5ling to do it for him.

So, I'd just have made the Foraged items tradeable, and that would solve everyone's problems.
    guado and Marshall Maathers like this.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Just another issue that makes it clear the main design meeting for TDS was entitled "How to slow players down in as many ways possible". I just don't get how they thought this would be a good thing.
  7. Hayzeus Augur

I was wondering about such a macro for foraging, but foraging doesn't work if there's something on your cursor... right? So, if the forage macro manages to forage something, it won't go through with the next forage unless you're sitting right there to drop it in your inventory (thus clearing your cursor prior to the next forage)? So you wouldn't go eat dinner while you foraged in the background.

also, can you loop 2 macro buttons with each other?

Hail Button 1 on ButtonBar2Slot1:
    /pause 30,/hail
    /pause 30,/hail
    /pause 30,/hail
    /pause 30,/hail
    Activate ButtonBar2Slot2 (whatever this command would actually be)

Hail Button 2 on ButtonBar2Slot2:
    /pause 30,/hail
    /pause 30,/hail
    /pause 30,/hail
    /pause 30,/hail
    Activate ButtonBar2Slot1 (whatever this command would actually be)

Okay, I know the activate statements are likely wrong, but I just wanted to get across the idea of what I'm looking for. I'm sure there is some similar command that would actually call another button.

Or, or, or... can you loop back on the same button like a repeat function?

Hail Button 1 on ButtonBar2Slot1:
    /pause 30,/hail
    /pause 30,/hail
    /pause 30,/hail
    /pause 30,/hail
    Activate ButtonBar2Slot1 (to loop back on itself)
  8. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Macros aren't allowed to call other macros.
  9. Maeryn Augur

10. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Gee... All I do is set a primary hotbar slot to what I want, then autofire my keyboard's programable key(s) to enter the number (0-9), and pause for the correct time spacing.
  11. Nenton Augur

Sitting there hitting a forage button every 100 seconds is completely unenjoyable game play.

Our progression ground to a halt when we reached Brother Island. My Druid 1-shot each step with double forage and 2 hours later our group's 3 int casters had their forage steps completed. I was done "playing" EQ that day after that experience.

There's a reason there was foraging in the druid/ranger epic quests while other classes needed to perform other class related skills (e.g. rogue pick pocketing). Those devs had a clue.
    Axxius and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  12. Elegist Elder

The foraging elements of this quest are being removed for this patch, and you will be able to pick up the items as ground spawns.

On another note, you don't need to wait 30 seconds between hails. The built-in delay lasts between 3-4 seconds.
    Axxius likes this.
  13. Iila Augur

This mechanic is very annoying, and can cause missions to bug out from hailing too fast.
  14. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

/pause 30 is not 30 seconds its 3 seconds. /pause is in tenths of a second
    Benzarden and Axxius like this.
  15. Elegist Elder

Ah, OK. Never used /pause myself. Just wanted to make sure no one was waiting longer than they have to.

The hailing delay prevents certain scripts from being run too quickly, mostly since there is a delay in shared tasks between the world and the zones, which can cause scripts to think progress in the element is behind where it actually is.

There were some parts of the progression quests that could have issues (particularly with single hails) if you hailed an NPC too fast. These have been fixed for the next patch.
  16. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

OK, fine, but now I'm annoyed that my character has Forage AA that I didn't want him to have. Don't refund it, or take it away. I know what a hardship that would be for you to do.

I just want you to share with the team that while there are a lot of people upset about a lot of things in this expansion, just like they are upset every expansion, there are those of us who are enjoying it pretty much as it is, and when you change things, you're often simply upsetting a different subset of customers.

I believe you guys know fairly well what you're supposed to be doing, even if you don't have the time/manpower to do it, but regardless, please do it your way, and let us take it, or leave it aside from bugs and major flaws.

That's my vote, anyway.

P.S. If the groud spawns only spawn at 7pm game time on a Tuesday while it's raining, you will be enjoying a much larger complaint thread here.
  17. CaptAmazing Augur

From a RP stand point 50 in forage wouldn't be more than moving a leaf to pick up what's underneath it in RL, IMO :).

LMAO on the PS. Totally pausible!
  18. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Qest is a High Elf Enchanter and when I can, I take it seriously. That means he looks down his nose at the other, lesser races, and would never even bend over to look under a leaf if some 0.5ling were around who could be Charmed into doing it. "You there! Dirty little person. Look under that leaf, and if there's something there, reach up, and hand it to me.

Thank you. You will never remember what you just did, but I appreciate it none the less."

Also, I disagree with you about what 50 Forage Skill should indicate. Everyone is born with the ability to pick up a leaf and rummage about on the ground. Forage Skill indicates a truly "Alternate Ability" that is earned only by selecting a class that includes it, or earning the AA. It's not something anyone can do.
  19. smash Augur

Any particular reason there so many conversations ?

I mean in Fit for the New World, there 37 hails around 91 sec. Which is not available to do Things.

Thats out of 30 min for the time trial, around 1/20 of the trial, And at some point, 19 hails at 2 npc.

Maybe cut a lot of those off. and / or give some extra time.
    Iila likes this.
  20. Elegist Elder

It's somewhat ironic that the way the hails were done this time was actually intended to save people time while still being able to provide more lore for those who wanted to read it. The intention was for people to be able to either quickly spam through the hails or read them at their leisure (instead of having lengthy "cinema" scenes that couldn't be sped up).

The problem was that this turned up an issue with shared tasks, where there was too much delay between the hail elements being triggered and communicating with the world. Unfortunately, the solution that was put in place was the one we could do in time to launch with the progression quests.

Hopefully we can find a way to reintroduce some of the ability to speed through the dialogues if you want to, the way it was originally intended. That likely won't happen with this patch, as our design lock is approaching. If that changes, though, I'll let people know.
    Axxius likes this.