SK aggro and terror line

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Drakang, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Drakang Augur

Thanks devs for a much needed update on agro. Should put all tanks back on equal footing and make it easier for SKs to hold agro off mellee.
  2. feiddan Augur

Yup. Changes on Test seem fantastic.

SK aggro looks 100% fixed. In the ways the community asked for. Great victory and a great way of delivery by the dev team.
  3. Zarzac Augur

4. IDotPeople Augur

Thank you for the pre-emptive answer to a question I had :)
  5. Anuulified Elder

Hrmmmmm, I find this weird. I keep reading about how Sks are inferior somehow to other tank classes and I am definitely not seeing it in game, on raids, or anywhere. If anything I think Warriors and Paladins need more of a boost, not the other way around. If your raid leaders aren't putting Sks in the tank line up, you probably just have a lot of warriors, as paladins are often stuck healing (unless you have a lot of healers), or he/she lacks confidence in Sks for some strange reason. More to the point though:

"We are not the superior DPS tank anymore."
    Using your 1her to DPS is probably the problem here, or serious lack of AAs. I make the melee parse all the time and our burst DPS abilities are far greater then any other tank. If a warrior is "out" dpsing you, it is probably because he is hitting the named the entire time, while you are hitting adds in-between. Either that or your parser isn't accounting for all your abilities.

"We are not the on par with warriors on hps and AC."
    No we are not on par with warriors hps, we have MORE. Same gear, same type AAs, with our added spell lines to give us more hit points, way more hit points then them. Aside from a warrior AA that doesn't last very long, they require buffs from others to get the same buff we can cast on ourselves constantly. If your AC is lacking, retool your augments (your augments are fine), get your clickies done, use a metal power source (which you do), get stat food/drink, put a house up with AC trophies and tell your GLer's and/or officers to turn on tribute during raids. Sks can have the same AC as a warrior, the real difference is they mitigate more.

"Others now have AE hate abilities."
    They sure can and need too, especially Warriors and Paladins. But again, we have far more then them. For added hate load your spear lines along with terrors and everything else. With the exception of broken agro abilities or limited use "target me only ones", nothing but another Sk will take it things off you.

"SKs need some changes to ensure they have a defined roll."
    Our "role" has never changed. We are tanks, kiters and pullers. We can tank anything a Warrior or Paladin can tank and in some cases better. We have trouble on mobs that stun or silence us, but not every raid named, trash or other has those abilities and on ones that don't Sks and Paladins in general shine if geared appropriately (you know current group gear + 40ac and better augments, yes group gear in a raid!) In a raid environment, where hopefully you have bards and monks there is no need for a Sk to pull, but you can and you can do it well.
  6. Ashigaru Augur

7. Ravengloome Augur

I agre with your other points but the bolded you are very very wrong about.

Warriors innately and through activated abilities can have far superior health pools to that of either Knight class. Theres really no ifs ands or buts about it.

When was the last time you had 230k health?
  8. Augok Lorekeeper

At the same time warriors were able to self heal through life taps?

You have ways of refilling a HP pool that warriors don't. HP Pool doesnt really matter after you go over 170K though because very little will go through that much with discs and what does will go through 230K as well.
  9. Ravengloome Augur

1) I was pointing out a blatant mistruth in what he posted 2) Hp pool does matter 3) It doesnt bother me warriors have more, I tank raid bossss fine ( for the most part) without the extra. It also balances knights vs warriors which is a good thing.
  10. Augok Lorekeeper

Precisely my point that you can manage fine.. I'm not saying It doesn't matter at all or that you folks couldn't use improvements.. Just that if you have enough HP to not get one rounded everything else just makes it easier for you to be healed and in raids tanking you should be getting fairly constant heals and that extra is just to make things that bit easier.
  11. Ravengloome Augur

I don't know Kanteer and Galenth.get lucky sometimes ;) My main problem though is boss push interrupting my self healing, I interupt at a bad time and its lights out.
  12. Ashigaru Augur

Good point. It may be worth considering whether we should move to some knight heals being instant
  13. Zoran Journeyman

No tank should have to channel. Even 0.5 second spells get interrupted many times, and can't be used on the move. Add that spells don't actually get "interrupted" until the entire cast is finished (look up the definition of interrupt and explain that), and you can get some very egregious moments of silence.

I've been unable to get an effect off for 3+ seconds tanking 5 raid adds and going purple twice. If I'd been able to cast, I wouldn't have gone purple a single time.

In groups I've had much longer periods of less danger, but also an inability to cast due to channeling because I risk longer casting spells, which, again, don't actually fail until the cast is complete. It's incredibly frustrating.
  14. Marshall Maathers Augur

He accurately indicated the short duration of the warrior hp boost that makes 230k possible for the high end raider, for a short duration. It wasn't until June that having that boost didn't incur a penalty dot. I haven't checked the situation recently, but I do remember it wasn't long ago when I had RoF raid gear and Anuu had RoF group gear and he would consistantly have higher hp than me, unless I had growth on. (I had more ac, of course)

Since then, though, warriors were given a couple boosts in hp, so things may either be level, or we could have jumped into the lead in terms of sustainable hp, I can't be positive. Either way, saying warriors have 230k hp is like saying we permanently have 45% mitigation, or permanently subtract 3k damage from every hit (both of which have a higher up-time compared to downtime when compared to our hp boost).
  15. Ravengloome Augur

Alright you got me there.
  16. Boogerific Journeyman

Warrior's are "far hardier than any other class" according to class descriptions, so as long as knights have 98% hitpoints as a warrior knights won't complain.