Quick general class question - Tired of these posts?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Graystone, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Graystone Journeyman

I'm a returning player and have a rogue that I duo with a good friend. He is currently unable to play and I promised I would not level without him! Now, with that being said I'm looking for a pretty damn good class to molo/solo with. I do like the group game but I noticed groups are a thing of the past until 85+ I'm opposed to playing a mage. (hate that class with a passion, just find it super boring and overplayed) I don't have anything against anyone else that plays that class, just not my cup of tea. I guess I really don't like pet class, period. Other than that I'm not picky. Caster or melee, what would you suggest for a decent solo/molo and still viable in the group game?

Thanks in advance!
    Graystone

Edit: I do not want to box either.
  2. Jerm New Member

I just fired up a free acct to return (I quit way back in 2001!).

After trying out a few classes, I think I've settled on a frog shaman. Everyone love heals, everyone loves haste, sow, and you can work with either a tank or healer merc.

Of course I'm only level 10 or so, but I'd imagine it'll carry me for quite a while, and their spell lineup is the most fun IMO.
  3. Graystone Journeyman

I tried a shaman for a bit. It wasn't bad. They get really nice buffs and slows. However, their dps was a little lacking for me. Their DoTs are less than impressive and their nukes are next to nothing, which is understandable for a priest archetype. I imagine with a tank merc and a shaman player it'd be a pretty viable option. Thanks for the suggestion.
  4. Crystilla Augur

If you like the dots and prefer DPS, necro would be your class of choice.
    If you love DPS but prefer to nuke, wizard then would be the class. You'd also get ports with that which makes moving around easier.
  5. Wayylon Augur

Ya shammy takes a while to kill with, but you will never run out of mana... I only bother casting non fast dots on named, normal trash dies too fast in a group, I just cast two fast dots, poison nuke and twinheal nuke incase I need to groupheal.

Druids can solo and port.

Enchanters can solo.

Necro, wiz have already been mentioned.

Ranger can solo with headshot, but limited to humanoids.

I think that's about it as far as true solo while gaining good xp without mercs, maybe bards also haven't tried bard charming so not sure.
  6. menown Augur

I would not play the necromancer if you are looking for a class that is viable in the group game. Minimum DoT durations are about 1:24. Avg NPC lifespan in groups is close to 30 seconds. Swift DoTs have not received proper increases to keep up with the group game.
  7. silku Augur

Chanter can solo, but from what I've seen it takes a person who is willing to actually put time into it. Lots of people go in and say they can't figure it out or that charm breaks too much etc. But, if you are willing to put effort into learning the ins and out of the class there isn't much (besides named mobs) that you can't solo in the game until end content.
  8. Jerm New Member

DPS is a bit low, but you still have nukes and you're pretty flexible, and yeah after level 23 you pretty much never run out of mana except on hard fights.

I also played two other solo classes for a while, druid and necro (necro to 67, druid I'm not sure). If you're into the kiting game forever, they're okay classes, with the necro being more powerful. I'm unsure if SOE has nerfed the kiting game since I quit, though.

In small groups, druid much more useful IMO (and shaman more useful IMO - again I'm not sure how this changes 70+). In small groups, I was pretty much pointless as a necro except to take on adds or something with my pet, or life tap nuke - sometimes I'd end up as puller though since I could snare and FD. In raids I would debuff, DoT, and mana zing the healers.
  9. Bangzoom Lorekeeper

Headshot is no longer a viable soloing method by itself. Nowadays, it's a nice bonus when soloing dark blue humanoids that goes off once in a while.

I'm back to tanking the mobs I can with a healer merc, or root/shoot/rotting ones I can't. The good news is that both are viable, and moloing heroic adventures is as good or better XP as headshotting in Feerrott ever was -- and a hundred times less boring.
  10. Graystone Journeyman

I've been really into trying an enchanter, however I have no clue about the class, their mechanics, any viable tactics or strategies and it seems all the guides I've found are so out-dated that Jesus could have wrote them. I've been thinking about a monk as well, with a healer merc since they do get some decent mitigation and I could always feign death if things got hairy. I'm used to the untouched exploring that the rogue could offer.
  11. Brohg Augur

I think maybe you want just a berserker. High dps & very similar group role to the rogue you already enjoy, just not exactly the character you're advancing with your friend.
  12. Crystilla Augur

There are many accurate/up to date guides for enchanters. you can find some in this caster archtype forum AND then on youtube (there's more than half a dozen videos made for enchanters in 2013/2014).
  13. Jerm New Member

Enchanters are fun with competent groups or just a couple of teammates. Key word being competent. I loved pulling off entire room mezzes and them NOT BREAKING mezz. Cool seat-of-the-pants stuff.