The Darkened Sea Info

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Riou, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Geroblue Augur

More than last year's expansion.
    Obiziana likes this.
  2. Brogett Augur

+ Planes of Power - 23
  3. Slasher Augur

People would complain if it was 10 zones and the same people would complain if it was 12 zones. No point in arguing with haters who complain just to complain.
  4. Garanle Elder

I won't be preordering this or buying the expansion till a few of the guildies can confirm that the boat combat isn't like the ship in MC (House of Thule). Historically the devs have never been good at the close 3-D combat (See MC where mobs run on the deck but fall through the floor pulling the entire boat, or pathing is so messed up they cant get to you etc).

Devs, Please No water raid fights (The sharks in VoA was a disaster always warping and pulling the raid tank). We have accepted the short comings of the environment you develop in, it is about time your team does the same.

If they have a lot of these things (water and really poor pathing issues on boats) I will find something else to do for a year.

Also with so little in terms of zones they are going to need us to do everything or by the end of March most people will be looking for something else to do.
  5. Wayylon Augur

It all depends on the size of the zones and how they are laid out, VoA "feels" much larger than 11 zones....

32 zones for Kunark is amazing, they should revamp the entire continent to 105.
    Obiziana and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  6. Ranndom_TheUndead Augur

So, youre scared of a zone having a few imperfections? how have you made it through EQ for all these years?
  7. Ranndom_TheUndead Augur

Revamping 32 zones would take quite some time. Revamps also have no backstory or anything, so theyd get burnt out extremely quick. Now while it might be cool at first, we would soon come to realise that all 32 zones would be basically exact copies on mob difficulty and loot. an "explore one and youve seen em all" scenario essentially.
  8. Wayylon Augur

^
    |
    |

Uhhhh ya because all zones within a certain level range are the same difficulty and loot....
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

8 zones for a level expansion is scary. But it depends on the size of the zones and how much overlap level content they put in.

I'm hoping for a
    1 level 100 zone
    5 level 101 - 104 zones
    2 level 105 zones

I'm expecting
    3 level 95 - 100 zones (really scared this is going to be level 85)
    4 level 101 - 105
    1 level 105 zone

The more zones they have that overlap the less zones there are to interest those at max level. The reason zones aimed at lower levels don't get used in a level expansion is a lot of players are leveled past them before they even go live. For example in SoD very few players hung around in Oceangreen Hills and Oceangreen Village as the mobs were blue/light blue already when it went live, add another 5 levels to that and the exp was pitiful, not to mention the gear was of the same or similar quality to the previous expansions final zone gear.

Now I've got over the shock of only 8 zones, I'm hopeful. But roll on Beta, need to put my fears to bed.
    Silv likes this.
  10. Wayylon Augur

Good point Yinla, I'd be down for 2-3 leveling zones and the rest end game 105 zones... that's where we're all going to end up anyways...why not have more areas to play in?
  11. Kathylynn_Unity Augur

The number of zones does not bother me. I just really hope a couple of them will be popular places for people to play and group. It is really discouraging playing when you run around the game world and see empty zones that are brand new.

The last expansion I saw good zone populations and grouping potential was House of Thule. At least 5 of the 11 zones were well populated usually and had groups adding players in a steady fashion. To me that is a sign of a healthy game when people start working together.
    Spellfire likes this.
  12. IDotPeople Augur

If the content and gameplay was good, I would play an ASCII world RPG game.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  13. Edrick Augur

Me too. In fact, I did. Dragonrealms was a MUD that I thoroughly enjoyed for years, and I've played a lot of roguelikes that used ASCII instead of tilesets.
  14. IDotPeople Augur

Mark the calendars Edrick, I think this is the first time we have ever agreed on anything! :)
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  15. Necromonious Augur

Especially in regards to cotf that's what happens when you have HA's, no one does stuff in the static zones. I'm wondering if the darkened sea doesn't use HA's, is there going to bottlenecks and disputes for mobs that results?
  16. Silv Augur

Most people don't even use the new zones to steamroll to the new level cap. Sure, many will go and enjoy the zone(s) intended for leveling but if that's 4 of 8 you might as well say we're getting 4 new zones (those intended for Lv 105). Personally, I hate level cap increase expansions: cookie-cutter spells, solo (more) old content, and obsolete the previous expansion too close to the new expansion. However, that is a result of horrible staggered release pacing. At least the content was easy enough to accommodate all the summer vacations this year.

Side note, (with the hope of an ideal mid/top end heavy zone distribution like Yinla posted), please keep true to your promise (Elidroth) that crowd control will not be obsolete in end zones. I don't have the time to dig up the post right now but it was recent about 'how it is not intended' for this to occur.

I'm all for challenge and don't expect to be able to mez and charm every mob in 8 zones. However, I'm not in favor of getting 2 charms (one which will be obsolete in a week) and 999 mezzes which will either be page 60'd or worthless in an endzone. It's ironic when the raids in the instanced zones require mez and charm as an expected mechanic. Burn Out comes to mind. Logic, WRU? :eek:
    Ravengloome likes this.
  17. Phathom Champion

You will have to purchase the expansion to get into the expansion. Only All-Access Members will be able to purchase and get into The Darkened Sea on October 28 through November 10, 2014.
    Elricvonclief and feiddan like this.
  18. Phathom Champion

Soon... Sign-ups will start within a couple of weeks. Then Beta will open thereafter.
    Elricvonclief and Riou like this.
  19. Makavien Augur

The sharks only warped when popped out of the water if you never learned how to fight in water , You always melee from the top and push the npc to the bottom of the water.
  20. Makavien Augur

You know they can't force guilds to use cc.

There are bixies in bixie 2 to pile up and mezz + the 6 zaztazz , can charm 8 blue con npc in tower of rot one of which will increase your dps on all npcs if you use them properly. Can mezz all 7 or 8 flameguards or whatever , can mezz all imps in burn out , can stun all swords in burn out , can stun a lot of the npcs in wk 1 , theres npc you can stun in void h , theres npc to charm and stun in powar . Oh can also ignore larva in dead hills 1 if you want and mezz pile the mosquitos.

We use CC all the time. And it makes our raids go pretty smooth.