Lag progressively gets worse and freezes game after about 20min

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Willox, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Willox New Member

I posted in a different topic about my situation but my issue is somewhat different. I am able to log into Everquest with my three accounts with no issues until lately. I shouldn't say lately, there was that patch issue back in May that screwed with a bunch of customer's game play causing large amounts of lag and crashes. Anyways, I am able to play my three characters but as of lately (the passed two-three days) after about 20mins of log in time i start to lag and it gets progressively worse until the game just freezes up. I still hear sound effects and see chat messages (which is wierd) but i cannot move/chat in game. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I did not do anything to resolve the relatively same issue back in May as there was another patch that SoE sent through the launcher which fixed it.

I have windows 8, new computer as a April 2014 from Best Buy. Internet and other online games work completely fine.
  2. Sarkaukar Augur

There is a difference between actual internet lag and system lag/stutter/etc.

1. Need dxdiag info. Window Key + R, type in dxdiag. Save file then post the info here.

Control Panel, Power Option, set to Best Performance

Do not run Either AMD Gaming Evolved or Rapt programs.

If you are using files transferred from another computer, delete the eqclient.ini by going to launchpad, Advanced tools, open Game directory.
    Willox likes this.
  3. Toquillaw Augur

Also check your anti-virus programs. If you have logging turned on in EQ, then the files get very large. I do believe that EQ itself now updates logged text every second by default, but with several clients running it is three times that. If your anti-virus triggers on changes to text files then it checks them every second while you play. As the files get larger, it takes longer than a second to scan them leading to perpetual anti-virus scanning.

The fix is to change your anti-virus to ignore the log files.
    Willox likes this.
  4. Willox New Member

Thank you guys for responding. I tried and looked into what you stated, Sarkaukar, and still had the same issue with the lag while i did change my power setting to high performance.

Toquillaw, that seemed to work. I am running 3 again and it seems to be doing great so far. I did have to change my anti-virus software (Webroot) to allow the 3 EQ instances and not to monitor them. How and why it started to lag the crap outta me is behind my knowledge unless somehow it changed itself to get monitored /shrugs.

Thank you both very much for the help!
  5. Sarkaukar Augur

It could have been an update to Webroot. It is not the first time nor will it be the last time when an antivirus update tanks EQ, either from starting or adversely affecting it.

How old are your accounts? If the accounts are old enough you may have some items still active that SOE has since then set to off position. EQ generates a few text files.

Alt J, disable Journal if it is checked. Also, do you run a log file? /log off and/or make sure to rotate your log file that is in your log folder.

Also, do you have a Nvidia or ATI card? If Nvidia, set the Power Manage Mode to prefer best performance. This ensures that the system is using the card if your CPU comes with its own built-in GPU.
  6. CrazyLarth Augur

thank for the info of your fix i have the same issue and I have (Webroot) and i will try to learn how to exclude them and see if that fixes my issue. Thanks
  7. Willox New Member

Yes, my primary account is 14 years old, my 2nd account is maybe 3-4 years old, and my third is about 2 years roughly.

I should only have a log running on my primary account but will double check that. And yes, i did do what you mentioned and swapped to the high/best performance as I had Geek Squad put in an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 card along with a power supply that easily supports it.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out!
  8. Geroblue Augur

If your hard drive hasn't been defragged in a long time, that can have an adverse affect to.