Really Interested in EQ1

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by MMOcam, Jul 27, 2014.

1. MMOcam New Member

Hello Everyone

I am really interested in play Everquest 1. The main reason I want to play is because of the high amount of classes and the spellbook system. I really like choosing a small number of spells from a large variety. I was hoping this game was more about exploring than just going from quest to quest. I was hoping the game was about getting groups and just fighting monsters. Is the game more about "grinding" or constant questing? Feel free to leave any tips and your reasons for enjoying Everquest
  2. Fle2ch Elder

EQ is massive and the world is your oyster. Once your played through the tutorial your be level 10 ish and ready for the world.
    The old game was all about mob grinding to level but these days it's a lot quicker and many quest have been added.
    There is simply so much to see in EQ it's unbelievable. I like to explore the old dungeons of witch there are many.
    The new game starts everyone at cresent reach rather than the orignal starting cities so if you wish to see more of the world before you grow to old for it get yourself to the Plane of knowledge after the tutorial and check out some of the old starting cities.
  3. Everstorm Augur

Groups are very hard to come by until you start getting near max lvl (100). It's an old game, not many new players. A mercenary will help you get through the lower lvls quite easily though.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Apathy Elder

If you start off as a free-to-play account, then you don't get the option of choosing a race specific starting home city; Crescent Reach is the default home city.
    The game itself offers a million things to do, especially if you're not caught up in the hustle & bustle of hitting max levell/AAs and raiding asap.
  5. Jonzun New Member

I don't know why SOE doesn't put some more effort into promoting this game more. Yes, it's an old game but the graphics are decent, it can run on an "out of the box" computer, and there is tons of content. "If you haven't seen it, it's new to you" sorta thing.

I started playing in March 1999 back when the servers were constantly crashing and people were playing on 14.4 modems and I played until around 2003. The game was harder than heck and it wasn't uncommon to spend more time doing corpse retrieval in a night than actual adventuring. The game didn't suck because it WAS "EverCrack" but getting hit by a mummy at level 7 and losing your health regen for a LONG time from disease was a true pain in the . It felt like a contest where the players were fighting the developers.

I fired up the game again after 10 years and it's SO much improved. The tradeskill system isn't such a grind, the leveling isn't such a grind, the entire game isn't so much of a grind. The only thing this game is missing is PEOPLE!! It's so much more family-friendly now that a group of people can log on for a couple hours and have some fun while not completely alienating their families and neglecting jobs. Raiding will always be the most fun part of the game for me. But, there is so much content out there that the game could support many times the amount we had at launch without people stepping on each other's mobs even with dungeon crawling groups.

It's a great game and I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you make some friends and get into a regular schedule with them... that's the key.
    Quatr, Herdis and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  6. Roxxanna Augur

This game is ALL about grouping with friends and adventuring together, quit procrastinating, and jump in. If you join The Rathe server, look us up.
    Obiziana likes this.
  7. MMOcam New Member

Well I started on the Vox server because I thought that had the best population for low levels.
  8. Xanadas Augur

There really isn't a "best server for low levels". The low end game, if not non-existent on nearly every server, is a very short experience (a matter of days, tops) for a beginning player due to mercs and overpowered gimme-gear like Defiant armor. Defiant armor drops randomly from everything in the game and, sadly, obsoletes ANY reason to actually experience (ie. play and quest) in the 0-75 content and possibly higher.

If you ask me, defiant armor is single-handedly responsible for ruining the classic/mid level experience. You'll look up questlines to get certain items, then halfway through the quest, you'll get a piece of defiant armor thats literally 2x the stats than what you were questing for. Explain to me how that was a good move, Sony?
  9. Delphwind Augur

It's a good time to start playing EQ. You can likely catch up before the next expansion hits in November. I would suggest playing on a more populated server like FV. Focus on getting to 90+ then go down some older raid bosses and sell the loots (FV has no "No Drop" rules so you can trade everything).

Until you are in your 90s you really will not have to grind. If you have the patience there are SO many places to go and hunt/explore.

Here is a link that lists all the zones by level:
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/zlvlchart.html

Play a good solo class with a tank merc up until level 50-60, then switch to a healer merc. Some of the best solo classes I have played were: Monk, SK, Mage, Paladin, Ranger. There are others but these 5 seem to be the best to level with a merc. The reason being is that once you hit the 50-60 range you will want to be able to melee the mobs with a healer, or at least have a pet that can tank. Kiting is possible, but I find it boring and prefer to dungeon crawl. Just keep in mind you will always need a tank and a healer, if the tank can do damage while tanking then all the better. (before I get flamed I am just referring to leveling content, and at level dungeon crawls with the OP defiant gear).

Good luck to you!
  10. lumin Elder

Its not just questing or just grinding, its a bit of both, but the nice thing is you do it anyway you want to. Its a huge place and you will likely never see it all. Enjoy